Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Disbelief Still: Killer Notebook

Pictures don't do this laptop justice.

This laptop has a 17" widescreen, full size keyboard with NUMERIC KEYPAD, looks and feels like glass and chrome.

Has a built-in web cam, built-in wireless.

Has a remote control, comes with headphones (well, the earbud kind).

Has DVD play buttons and volume control buttons.

And ... I had never seen this before ... some sort of technology called Lightscribe where it can not only burn a DVD, but actually burn the surface in grayscale to label the CD.

Oh yeah, it has a built-in microphone (2 of them) and a LIGHT for the web cam.

Nvidia graphics card, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Harddrive. Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (although I'm not exactly a big MS fan -- my first download was FireFox).

And like all the HP laptops, has a scroll bar (mouse wheel equivalent next to touchpad). Comes with lifetime customer support from HP via phone (not sure that means, probably the priviledge to talk to the automated system before getting transferred to India ).

But that wasn't the source of my confusion.

The source of my confusion is that this laptop was $949.

Link to sale item

This defies all sense. I would expect a notebook with these specs, especially the 1440x800 widescreen/full size keyboard -- to cost around $2,100 and seems to outspec in most ways most of the notebooks I've seen in that price range.
    Last edited by Baker; 02-05-2007, 02:12 AM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

[jealous]You are a B*TCH![/jealous]

Nice find

Comment

As they try to push the "Vista" you should be able to find alot of good deals on computers. The last AMD I bought had a hard time Multi-Tasking and forget about trying to burn a DVD. You could watch it just fine. This was a few years back and I swore I would never buy another AMD for myself. Other people fine. . AMD and Celerons should never cost 2k. All of that with a Pentium would be 2k.. Look for the same machine with a Pent. I'm loving the Numeric Pad within the keys of the laptop though!! woohoo. I have a seperate one that I have to lug around. grrrrrrr. And I still use a tiny mouse for mine.. I hate those touch pads. Feels like it takes forever to get around.
      www.Net-Tyme.com
      Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
      Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

It's $949 at Office Max without rebates:

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...OID=-536879891

And ya it's prob cheaper because it's got an AMD processor.

If you're going to spend $949, add a couple hundred more and get more memory, faster processor, bigger FSB

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...OID=1611550572

All for $1249

And finally, basically the same machine as the $1249 one, but an INTEL processor and better graphics card for $1549

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...OID=1611554278
        Last edited by Solecord; 02-05-2007, 08:40 AM.

Comment

If that laptop were a female I'd hit it.
          QuakeOne.com
          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Usually notebook prices really drop when there's a war between two stores. My notebook was 30% cheaper because both stores kept lowering the price.

Comment

AMD > Intel / WTF Cyrix WTF

Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

*cough* c2d *cough*
                e|------------------------0---------------
                B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                A|---------------0------------------------
                E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Back in the 1990s, AMD processors were clearly not as good as Intel ones. I can remember getting blue screens occasionally in Windows 98 or ME or whatever was used in the 1990s.

But that is a long, long time ago ... AMD processors have been on par with (or ahead of) Intel for several years.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Ha.. that's what they told me back then to when I opted to go cheap and get one. Nevah I tell you Nevah again.. But that's just my personal choice. I run to many programs at the same time to lose it in lockups. I have purchased Celerons for here with the same regret. I have never had a problem with a Pent other then a bad hard drive. I can multi-task my tootie all day long. ;Þ
                    www.Net-Tyme.com
                    Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
                    Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Agreed. I don't think I'll ever buy an AMD. My friend works at a major coporation and deals with computers all day long (he used to be a tech and has since moved up). He says AMD, even now, are crap. I trust him.

INTEL > AMD

ME > YOU

Comment

AMD is just as reliable as Intel. Sure Intel has that new x2 chip but WHO NEEDS THAT?! I use an AMD 2.4GHz Dual Core and it has never failed me. It gets the job done. I've never used Intel yet but they're both good IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                        X