Bestest Free Firewall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bestest Free Firewall?

Sygate -- which rocked! -- was purchased and killed by Nortons or Symantec or both or them or are they the same?

Either way, some company that sells a terrible p.o.s. of a firewall (p.o.s. = point of sale? I think) killed off Sygate.

What is the bestest free firewall out there? Or are there any good free firewalls?

(Puhleez do not mention Zone Alarm; it is well known to suxorz).
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Yah, Sygate is my favorite. Norton has let me down constantly (0 viruses and 0 spyware detected? give me a break!)

Comment

BlackIce was my fav. Now I think it's worth the price. You get what you pay for.

Come visit us: www.etfellowship.com

Comment

Some people don't have anything. Just use a secure internet surfing program and scan for spyware regularly (spybot, ad-aware)
        and AVG anti-virus free edition is pretty good too. FREE EDITION got some things retail Norton didn't see. meh
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Yes, Norton totally sucks. What the hell are they thinking releasing shitful protection like that?

Comment

I've had blackice and found I had to keep reconfiguring it. It would just up and block something for no reason.

I've had Mcgaffeedoodlebutt which invaded my system much like Norton. Dumped it.

Sygate was the best and please let me know if anyone finds something similar. I still have mine at home and I think I still have the zip. That would work wouldn't it? It's not something that is updated right?
            www.Net-Tyme.com
            Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
            Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
              Yes, Norton totally sucks. What the hell are they thinking releasing shitful protection like that?
              Well norton is actually very good to have if you paid for it. If they find out you're using a serial that's cracked, they won't support you anymore and you get hurt.

Being Legit will keep you safe.
              USE LINUX!!!

Comment

If you have anold zip product, I doubt it's still supported or even updated.

Come visit us: www.etfellowship.com

Comment

I like the Sygate version. I have an earlier version I still use. Like said earlier, Norton is good as long as you pay for it.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Actually I take it back on Sygate being the best in my opinion. It's very obvious that the only fool proof firewall is to unplug your connection to the interweb.

Comment

Aint that the truth. Does anyone turn off their PC at night?

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Yes... Incase you guys don't know this, keeping your Windows OS on for more than 3 days will really screw it up (plus destroy your fans). You should always reboot and shutdown your computer everyday unless you're pulling an allnighter
                        Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 03-22-2006, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper
                          Actually I take it back on Sygate being the best in my opinion. It's very obvious that the only fool proof firewall is to unplug your connection to the interweb.
                          Well, if you have a Linksys router or any router, you barely need a firewall.

Isn't it sad that the main reason to have a software firewall is to keep apps you intentionally installed on your computer from "phoning home" because you are concerned about your privacy and what type of data they may be sending?

I don't want musics apps sending back to HQ the name of what I listen to, I don't want Microsoft apps sending back names pages that I view, etc.
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I shut down my machines at home every night.. and lock them down when I step away. Work is the same way. Sygate not only told you what was trying to sneak out but what was trying to sneak in. Which I liked. I don't get port scans often but for two weeks someone was knocking steadily at my door. I assume they were infected due to the time span inbetween the attacks. Having a router isn't enough. Better safe then sorry.. Just don't think we should have to pay for safety at the consumer end. Same with Antivirus. My email passes through my ISP and they should scan everything first. It should never have the ability to pass thru the server without being scanned. IMHO
                            www.Net-Tyme.com
                            Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
                            Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

I mostly always shut off my computer at night. And if I don't (which is usually because I'm downloading multiple large files), I always shut the monitor off to conserve power. Whenever I'm away from the computer for a while, I put it in Standby mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X