Existentialism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Existentialism

Funny how if you luck out, you can find some fascinating things on the internet that you would not have otherwise typically had an opportunity to get exposed to.

I don't know much about existentialism, but this book excerpt is interesting.

"How did I get into the world? Why was I not asked about it, why was I not informed of the rules and regulations but just thrust into the ranks as if I had been bought by a peddling shanghaier of human beings? How did I get involved in this big enterprise called actuality? Why should I be involved? Isn't it a matter of choice? And if I am compelled to be involved, where is the manager—I have something to say about this. Is there no manager? To whom shall I make my complaint?"
    Existentialism is the concept that there is no meaning in life except what you make of it (I think).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sickness_Unto_Death
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

That quote presupposes that we are not made for the Earth and thus can exist before it and critique it so as to decide whether or not to enter. In fact it goes so far as to think that we should exist before we exist, as seen in the remark about actuality.

Existentialism, from that quote, seems to simultaneously embrace and reject an ontological definition of humanity and the world it exists in.
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow View Post
      Existentialism, from that quote, seems to simultaneously embrace and reject an ontological definition of humanity and the world it exists in.
      i have a degree in philosophy, but i dont need that to know that this is gibberish. say what you really mean, in real words

Comment

The only word I could potentially see as being considered "not real" would be ontological, and its a word you should know if youre waving your degree around like that.

All you called gibberish was a summary of the statement above it, I dont know how to simplify it for you anymore. I did say what I really mean, the quote though interesting sounding, is ridiculous.

Comment

The author of that particular book (1849), Søren Kierkegaard, had a unique idea and basically the summary of his book is that when you die, God (the author is a christian, ironically it seems most existentialists are not) will judge you on a single question: "Did you live in despair?"

From what I can tell the logic goes like this:

1. There isn't an inherent purpose in life.
          2. So you are not going to be able to logically make sense of the world; it is far too complicated anyway.
          3. The inability to make sense of things means that attempting to do so thru logic will lead to viewing the world as a bad and unfair place (despair).

4. Without faith, therefore you will have a negative view of the world.
          5. The only hope is faith.

I tried my best to summary what I think the point of this particular book is, a book I haven't read anything except the summary (considering the age, I bet it freely readable on the internet).

The period 200 or 300 years after Renaissance era had some fascinating philosophical thinkers and I had not heard of this book or the author prior to whenever I posted the above.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Kierkegaard is interesting, but he got pretty well roasted as a Christian by the Presbyterian pastor Francis Schaeffer for the origin of the concept "leap of faith" which was a misnomer born of incorrect scriptural interpretations (according to Christian theology a "step of faith" is more accurate) and yet has pervaded secular perceptions of the process of faith as well as infiltrated the terminology of the religious, despite being inaccurate. Of course the best way to battle that, like any other misunderstanding, is proper catechetical education.

Schaeffer really only hits on him for that one though. Otherwise, well, he does have an incredibly cool name. One of my favorites when it comes to names.

Comment

I believe that this idea suggests that the person who thought this trash up was EMO.
              "Why should I be involved... Where is the manager? I want to complain..."
              So you're complaining that you don't want to be alive or otherwise envolved in activities on this planet? I conclude -
              Emo. You do not want to be involved. You want to be a hermit, far, far away from everybody. You just can't take it anymore. That's right.. take the knife.. NOW DOWN THE STREET WORTHLESS BITCH! YOU WON'T HAVE TO BE INVOLVED ANYMORE! DO IT!!!!!!!!! *fails at suicide, j()() sawk*
              e|------------------------0---------------
              B|---------------0^1----------------1----
              G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
              D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
              A|---------------0------------------------
              E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                The author of that particular book (1849), Søren Kierkegaard, had a unique idea and basically the summary of his book is that when you die, God (the author is a christian, ironically it seems most existentialists are not) will judge you on a single question: "Did you live in despair?"
                That's where I would quit reading. He will not judge you on whether or not you lived in despair.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

okay lets be philosophical. I focused my studies on people who built up rational systems, (ancients; some of the earlier germans) rather than those who focused on tearing them down (existentialists). admittedly not having read serious existentialists besides more literary ones, ie camus, kafka,, existentialism seems like more of a feeling than a philosophy and therefore not very attractive to me

Comment

and all i said was i didnt like it, with a tiny snippet of why

granted i dont like having a word tied with myself on my worldview in such categories either way... regardless, i do like Quake.

Comment

Working...
                    X