Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista a Failure; Dell to offer XP on home PCs again

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39087

"Microsoft admitted what we have been saying all along, Vista, aka Windows Me Two (Me II), is a joke that no one wants.

It did two unprecedented things this week that frankly stunned us.

Dell announced that it would be offering XP again on home PCs. The second that Vista came out, Microsoft makes it very hard for you to sell anything other than Me II. It can't do this on the business side because it would be laughed out the door, but for the walking sheep class, well, you take what you are shovelled."

--------

I have Vista on my laptop and I do not like it. I can live with it, but it really sucks compared to Windows XP. It pops up ridiculous security warning confirmation boxes on about everything you do, which is annoying as hell, and a lot of software that worked fine on XP does not work at all on Vista or does not work fully properly, due to whatever Vista changed on the inside (my WinRAR can't unRAR a file via right-clicking it, for example, one example among a great many).
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Well... you have one solution:

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/r...86.iso.torrent
    16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
    16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Yes, only one solution I used ubuntu for a few years (different desktops) and now I'm sick of it. I switched to gentoo (fluxbox).

Vista has one nice feature that I like. It uses the internet when determining information about drivers while installing Vista

Comment

Any Linux will do :p but that's probably the most user-friendly.
        16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Vista is pure bloated hog that's for sure. Can't stand it, has yet to provide any features to an average user that you shouldn't be running XP. And Firefox has a problem with the Quicktime patch that I can't seem to straighten out yet. MEII is a great name for it so far.
          www.Net-Tyme.com
          Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
          Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

VISTA is in fact an acronym - Viruses Intrusions Spyware Trojans and Adware
            e|------------------------0---------------
            B|---------------0^1----------------1----
            G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
            D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
            A|---------------0------------------------
            E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I like MS, I however, hated XP , I was a Win2kPro user for a long,long,long time.Then my 2kpro CD became scratched up beyond being useful, so I switched to XP, and I'll use XP for prolly the next 4-5 years,regaurdless if MS stops making patches/updates for it.

oh wells, until software companies automatically provide their software with an linux option , I wont bother with it. I dont have time to waste compiling everything,or running some lame emulator for windows under linux,etc etc bla bla.
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I never saw the point of running a windows emulator in linux.

I agree with Mindz' point. If you don't want to bother with details and just have shit work, pay for windows. If you have time to spare to customize how you want your desktop and programs to work, use linux/unix.

Comment

I still use 2000.

In my head, it's Xp without all the crap that I don't need

Comment

Fun fact, Romero loves Vista, Carmack sees no reason to use it, and will only eventually move to it because of DX10 and development for it.

Me? I dont see a reason to switch out my machine for it. My next operating system will either be Ubuntu, SuSe or Windows98SE. Yes, and you know why? c:\blood\mapedit.exe is worth it.
                    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

I've heard that XP got this same treatment, everyone hated it at first, then people started picking it up after SP1.

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow View Post
                        My next operating system will either be Ubuntu, SuSe or Windows98SE.
                        I have experience with 2 of those, and would recommend both of them.

Comment

I've been forced to use Win98 for a little while, since my 2k's harddrive died.

It's bitchin to say the least.

Comment

I still refer to Win98SE as the K.I.S.S system. I run a ventrilo server on a P3 1G with 98se. I have two gaming machines, one older P4 2.667G and a Core 2 Duo E6300 that are running XP Pro. I don't have issues with any of them.

As far as Vista goes. Microsoft can keep it, I'm not interested.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

I personally think Vista is a load, I've seen it and it's XP with some bling and possibly mental retardation. I prefer Kubuntu (mmmnn, KDE), but I am forced to feed my gaming habit with XP :/. I use both in any case.

You guys know Dell is actually considering offering Firefox/Thunderbird and/or Linux pre-loaded on systems?

Comment

Working...
                              X