Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell to offer Ubuntu with PC's

Link
    Apparently, Dell is looking out for those who don't want go be raped by Windows Vista.
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Vista is a ka-thud of an operating system and, while I've not used Ubuntu, you read so much about it everywhere that they must be doing many things right.

Application developers and IT professionals have to be very upset with the LARGE percent of applications that do not run on Vista or don't run properly.

This is part of the reason I soured on Microsoft a few years ago, when .NET was supposedly the future and seeing all of the broken stuff from one version to the next and now Vista.

Who should want to rewrite applications for no particular reason just because Microsoft chose to do something.

I can imagine huge businesses balking at Vista and the incompatibilities and the massive investment that would be required to make all of their stuff run on it.

Vista was "cool" until it was actually available for sale and people tried it.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Ubuntu basically makes Linux really user friendly. Great for Linux newbies and still useful for advanced users. The only thing I do not like is how you have to reinstall ubuntu when a new version comes out.

Comment

I'm straying from the Ubuntu theme of this thread a little, but the other day I went to load some graphics application I downloaded on to my Vista laptop, I started it up and it exited immediately .. with or without a warning, I don't remember. This was hardly the first application that didn't run on Vista, I've run into maybe 8 or 9 so far, but I'm tired of the Russian roulette uncertainty of knowing whether or not something is even going to run on Vista.

And really, after all of my other problems with Vista, last was the last straw.

I'll be keeping Vista on my laptop forever, but I officially hate the operating system.

I'd like to run Linux, maybe I'll format my Win98 machine after I'm convinced I'll never need anything on it again and install Ubuntu
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Baker needs to get himself a 320GB external hard drive to put all his windows into it. Then he can enjoy his Linux without worry

Comment

Comment

thx

Comment

Working...
              X