what is a good site for quake III arena

how do u find servers

google is a good website for quake 3 arena

Comment

www.quakeservers.net - Quake3 section
      one quake to rule them all.

Comment

Or you could just uninstall Quake 3 Arena
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Baker knows best, Uninstall Q3 -> Play more Q1.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

i dont like quake 1 as much as q3

Comment

this is a good site for you then... http://www.planetquake3.net/

bye...

www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

There are certain things about Quake 3 I like better. I like some of the structural things they do on the maps. I like some of the things they do with the maps and a small handful of the things they do with the lighting and the effects.

What I don't like about Quake 3:

1. The gameplay is blah. Map control is a non-factor.

2. The weapons are very balanced which means there is no weapon that is "awesome to have." I also don't like the rail gun.

3. Too many powerups, some of which are silly.

4. The sounds. Quake 1 really has some nice sounds.

5. Some of the effects and the over-emphasis on items that glow.

6. The flatness of the maps and the footsteps.

7. All the maps play the same.

8. The gameplay on a whole.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

The rail gun is awesome on LAN. Impossible to use when you have ping The melee weapon makes humiliations easy

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                    This is why I don't play CA. Only it matters even less than in Q3A, it only has geometric advantage, not item advantage (play q3dm2 and tell me Haste doesn't impact a match).

2. The weapons are very balanced which means there is no weapon that is "awesome to have." I also don't like the rail gun.
                    Don't tell me the BFG is just as powerful as the machinegun or plasma gun or rocket launcher. There is a reason it is usually placed in such a space that calls for acrobatics, or personal endangerment, and same goes for its ammo. Regarding weapons being balanced, that was the intent. It is a multiplayer school of thought. Some see a match as being skill focused in terms of how the player uses any of the weapons, some see a match being the same, but with that skill set encompassing holding the best weapon as well. We can see this in most games. Quake is a less common form. It is fun, for its own reasons.

I can't recall who made the map (one of the func crew iirc), but in the map, all the rocket launchers are deeply submerged in slime, which shifts the focus to the biohazard suit. The rocket launcher now had a degree of separation. Other games shift the focus to the individual player rather than the individual item.

Quad? Granted the name is wrong, but thats a staple. Invisibility? Bit of a staple as well. Haste? I like being able to out pace my opponents. Regeneration? Don't get that elder rune in RQ or Threewave. The Shield? Shifts the focus of items for an individual target (encourages using less powerful weapons as they have a greater yield).

I can see an argument that the visual style of the powerups are silly, but that goes with the arcade style.

This is my problem with most Quake custom engines ; )

You must have not played much, the maps get increasingly 3d, as they are meant to help out new gamers. Hence the first map is entirely 2d, the second is 2d with obstacles, the 3rd is 2d with a second layer, the 4th has 3 layers. Near the end you are playing on maps with just as much going on vertically as they are horizontally.

What about the footsteps? The sound? Or the gameplay impact? I find footsteps to be an interesting dynamic (if they don't occur while walking). It gives a little credence to something other than "move REALLY fast!"

That is ridiculous, q3dm2 plays nothing like q3dm16, so on and so forth.

Take that up with Carmack, this is the game he was involved with in the design process, because he just wanted to shoot things.

I find the Q3A to be an interesting hybrid of Quake and Quake2, artistically and gameplay wise. It has the balanced weapons of Q2, but without the nerfed rocket launcher and weapon switch times. It is a little closer to the speed of Quake, but maintains footsteps so you're not just this silently gliding force. And visually, well, thats obvious. Look at several maps.

E]s-Doom - I apologize for the exclusionary behavior here. Rather than saying "we are fans of Quake", I hear "we are fans of Quake everything else is not merely 2nd place or less but utter crap." Quake, the original, is my favorite game. This does not mean that other games cannot have positive aspects. As far as playing Q3A online, get patched up (check out idsoftware's site and also the Q3A section of PlanetQuake) and use the in game server browser, or hop around community sites and find out what servers people hang out on.

I wouldn't rank Q3A over Quake any day, but I haven't uninstalled it, and do enjoy playing it on occasion.
                    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                      There are certain things about Quake 3 I like better. I like some of the structural things they do on the maps. I like some of the things they do with the maps and a small handful of the things they do with the lighting and the effects.

What I don't like about Quake 3:

4. The sounds. Quake 1 really has some nice sounds.

u dont like the rail gun because u dont have perfect aim or u dont know how to use the zoom function and u can cancel out the ping for the gun with the mod ever1 uses

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow View Post
                        This is why I don't play CA. Only it matters even less than in Q3A, it only has geometric advantage, not item advantage (play q3dm2 and tell me Haste doesn't impact a match).

Don't tell me the BFG is just as powerful as the machinegun or plasma gun or rocket launcher. There is a reason it is usually placed in such a space that calls for acrobatics, or personal endangerment, and same goes for its ammo. Regarding weapons being balanced, that was the intent. It is a multiplayer school of thought. Some see a match as being skill focused in terms of how the player uses any of the weapons, some see a match being the same, but with that skill set encompassing holding the best weapon as well. We can see this in most games. Quake is a less common form. It is fun, for its own reasons.

I can't recall who made the map (one of the func crew iirc), but in the map, all the rocket launchers are deeply submerged in slime, which shifts the focus to the biohazard suit. The rocket launcher now had a degree of separation. Other games shift the focus to the individual player rather than the individual item.

Quad? Granted the name is wrong, but thats a staple. Invisibility? Bit of a staple as well. Haste? I like being able to out pace my opponents. Regeneration? Don't get that elder rune in RQ or Threewave. The Shield? Shifts the focus of items for an individual target (encourages using less powerful weapons as they have a greater yield).

I can see an argument that the visual style of the powerups are silly, but that goes with the arcade style.

This is my problem with most Quake custom engines ; )

You must have not played much, the maps get increasingly 3d, as they are meant to help out new gamers. Hence the first map is entirely 2d, the second is 2d with obstacles, the 3rd is 2d with a second layer, the 4th has 3 layers. Near the end you are playing on maps with just as much going on vertically as they are horizontally.

What about the footsteps? The sound? Or the gameplay impact? I find footsteps to be an interesting dynamic (if they don't occur while walking). It gives a little credence to something other than "move REALLY fast!"

That is ridiculous, q3dm2 plays nothing like q3dm16, so on and so forth.

Take that up with Carmack, this is the game he was involved with in the design process, because he just wanted to shoot things.

I find the Q3A to be an interesting hybrid of Quake and Quake2, artistically and gameplay wise. It has the balanced weapons of Q2, but without the nerfed rocket launcher and weapon switch times. It is a little closer to the speed of Quake, but maintains footsteps so you're not just this silently gliding force. And visually, well, thats obvious. Look at several maps.

E]s-Doom - I apologize for the exclusionary behavior here. Rather than saying "we are fans of Quake", I hear "we are fans of Quake everything else is not merely 2nd place or less but utter crap." Quake, the original, is my favorite game. This does not mean that other games cannot have positive aspects. As far as playing Q3A online, get patched up (check out idsoftware's site and also the Q3A section of PlanetQuake) and use the in game server browser, or hop around community sites and find out what servers people hang out on.

I wouldn't rank Q3A over Quake any day, but I haven't uninstalled it, and do enjoy playing it on occasion.

no offence taken and i still like q3a over q1 but q1 over q2
                        there is a balance and q3a is it

Comment

doom multiplayer has more balance than q1 and q3

Comment

who wants to play that really old game

Comment

Me?
                              16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                              16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Working...
                              X