Forum Post Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Post Order

What's up with the order of the forum posts block? It doesn't send the latest post to the top. Please explain this madness.
    Chuck

The threads block displays the 15 most recently created threads. I think I probably like blocks with most recent activity better. I don't know if this system can do that easily. That's Steve's dept.

One advantage of the way it is currently setup is people can't bump threads. That is also a disadvantage. We have a lot of stuff on the "to do" list.

Maybe Steve can provide some feedback and his thoughts on this.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I like it the way it is. Every forum I go to uses this format

Comment

As Baker said, the block currenlty is programmed to display the last X topics rather than the last X posts. That's what came "out of the box" with vBulletin. There's a hack I can install that'll display the last X posts instead but decided to just go with what's already been coded so I could work on other things on the site. I've already gotten a few comments from people - most seem to actually prefer the way it is now. Personally, I agree with Chuck. I'm more used to seeing the last X posts in a block like that to show you the most recent activity on the boards. However with the comments I've received it seems I should keep it the way it is. I'll create a poll at some point and ask the community to give their input. Whatever wins in the poll will become reality

Comment

In the "last activity" style systems, it is good when great threads like Mindz's cool animated gifs get updated because everyone likes to see updates to cool threads.

Of course the bad is like when QDragonQ kept bumping 6 month old threads or when someone kept bumping their own thread that wasn't really all that great.

I don't really have a preference but one nice thing about the status quo is that a lot of new and interesting conversations get started. The bad is when I or someone else adds a yawner of a technical thread just so it is there for someone looking for it and it stays in the box, pushing down good conversations.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Maybe I should change the name of the block from Recent Active Topics to Recent Forum Topics instead? Never thought about it but "Active Topics" makes you think these were the most recently posted in.

Comment

I click on every recently updated post anyway, so it doesn't matter to me what the order is.

Comment

Working...
              X