Buck-o-Meal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buck-o-Meal

Starbucks coffee is just McDonald's fryer grease recycled, ya know!?

or is it?

http://digg.com/design/Cool_map_of_S...over_the_world

go go gadget Google!

this girl has nothing to do with the post, but she has a nice pair of shirts on...

Last edited by R00k; 06-16-2007, 10:37 PM.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

you're gonna get SUED!
    uakene.com

Comment

Thats why you should eat HERE !

Best god damn food/fountain soda I've ever had from a burger joint! and the Mugs you get from there are just 2 cool for me to link to.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Mindz likes real, AMURICAN food.

Comment

I can't eat out anymore, since I started cooking for myself and buying produce at the farmer's market rather than the grocery store (which is a lot cheaper btw, you can haggle and theres no tax), I have noticed my body has a lower tolerance for wonkiness and synthesized thingamajigs in my food. Never mind the sheer quantity of salt in most dishes... The only chains I have been able to eat and not feel like a weighted down sack of crap afterwards are Subway and Roly Poly.

Interesting map, it seems to indicate the remarkable inefficiency of those companies (in my book, the shorter the distance goods have to travel to be consumed and maintain a market presence is what makes efficiency). This guy is a little too tin foil hattish/condescending for my tastes, but he does make a point of how inefficient our system currently is http://eartheasy.com/article_ten_ways_post_oil.htm

Quad - I love how you spell it the exact way many people in this region pronounce it =)
          Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Hah that's how they pronounce it down here too!

Comment

auh-mair-ican..
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

because of economies of scale, much more energy is spent on distributing things locally than getting faraway products to the local market. the gas you burn driving across town to buy a box of crackers is more than the portion of gas spent on the container shipping them in from china represented by that box. so, walmart may be more efficient, even if it transports things from far away, if it is our one stop shop for everything. this doesnt incorporate aesthetic arguments tho

Comment

And this is where I differ, walking a few blocks twice a week to the local farmer's market to get all of my produce, walking to work daily, and basically driving only if the goods I am getting are perishable or doing it while I am already out (time sensitive matters, or its long as a drive, let alone a walk). Also the difference isn't so much if you don't go every day but rather every week or every other week.

WalMart put 2 stores within our city limits, on different ends, and a third store in the next town over just 5 minutes in its city limits. Our downtown is dead aside from a new age store of sorts, a comic shop and the twice a week farmer's market. The annoying thing is WalMart carries lower quality goods than others, they may brag of low prices, but none of the ones around here carry products beyond mediocrity. Clothing you have to replace more readily than one should with other brands, lower variety in food, the produce is practically rotten, and the supplements are positively bare.

Its a one stop shop, if you want mediocrity (which is always a low price except for captive markets).

I'm not arguing with anyone in particular, just kind of talking.

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow View Post
                    I'm not arguing with anyone in particular, just kind of talking.
                    haha! im arguing with you, lol :d
                    im pretty much a straight environmentalist, and dont worry so much about the homogenization of society and the loss of local political control. if what you say about walmart is true then you have little to worry about because people will buy elsewhere; even if walmart has worse products but better marketing or whatever, that is worth something. i go to the local produce stand when I can, but they dont grow anything themselves ( no one does here in the suburbs of boston), so it doesnt mean that much
                    BTW I read that article you posted. it seemed to be mostly about going back to the stone age? or the bronze age? lol. the only thing to distinguish the society it envisions from that of 1700 is trains

Comment

He'd rather walk and get excersize for ~20 min then drive a car for ~2 min and get fat like you, spooks
                      e|------------------------0---------------
                      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                      A|---------------0------------------------
                      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I live in a town of 55,000 surrounded by mostly rural much much smaller towns, so, the farmer's markets around here are all pretty potent. Local honey rocks by the way.

My closing comment was mostly an acknowledgment that I had rambled =)

The kerchief age I believe, so yeah the 1700s. I don't know, I don't really mind that, I honestly am interested in getting into a more agrarian lifestyle, work to live, not live to work, so to speak. Have you read any Wendell Berry?

Comment

yes i'm also interested in getting into a more agrarian lifestyle, having seen it on travels recently in developing countries. i am concerned with many of the same issues as you, its just that i always feel compelled to oppose myself to whatever's being said or whatever powerful force is presenting itself at the moment, im miserable like that. if i ever get my own lawn i might raise chickens, they are cute. meanwhiles i would be interested in suggestions for crops to plant, that would grow well around here, using minimal space. probably going with raspberries b/c i used to have that and it was cool. no i don't know wendell berry; related to Boysen Berry? =p

oh hey and if we all return to agrarian lifestyle, we will also return to aristocracy

Comment

e|------------------------0---------------
                            B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                            G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                            D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                            A|---------------0------------------------
                            E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                            X