Prebuilt or Custom Made??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prebuilt or Custom Made??

Let's see... I wonder how many of you use prebuilt PC's such as Dell or HP, or have a totally custom built system. I use a totally custom build:
    Pentium 4 3GHz HT
    1GB DDR400
    XFX 6800XTreme
    250GB HDD
    Intel D865PESO
    Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W (dual rail, modular)

Damn I speller flavor wrong.

P.S... newegg.com is a great site for hand-picking hardware to build your PC with... if you ever need advice on an upgrade let me know
    Prebuilt
    16.67%
    Custom Build
    83.33%
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Custom,always custom.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Prebuilt systems are usually overpriced. Plus they give you vista, ew.

Comment

I prefer pre-built. Sure you could save a few $$$ custom building, but that is an investment of time. I also like having someone to blame if something doesn't work (Dell or whoever).

I'm one of those "I just it want it work" kind of guys.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I prefer custom systems and use one, albeit that is my PC. My laptop is not even vaguely custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
            I prefer pre-built. Sure you could save a few $$$ custom building, but that is an investment of time.
            It's cheaper to pay someone to build it for you as well

Comment

not cheaper to pay someone qualified! lol
              I bought a hardware textbook (which is still current and I can sell to anyone cheap) learned all about hardware and nearly got into PC building as a hobby, but in the end my PC is a tool not a toy (even if it is most often just a tool to play games lol) and i need it to work. building your own is fun but i think irresponsible. so I buy HP and love it; but unlike most I check out the motherboard and everything first to make sure it has room to expand

Comment

Prebuilt systems are cheaper? Sure, though the $500 dells probably use an nvidia FX card on the PCI slot, and 2.8GHz looks good, no matter what you put before it.

random noob:
                HEY, THIS PENTIUM D IS 2.8GHZ AND COSTS $80, THIS SURE BEATS OUT THOSE $220 CORE 2 E6600 2.4GHZ LOL, AND WAY CHEAPER TOO
                **goes to buy a dell with some lame graphics card and a pentium d 2.8 and wonders why when he calculates super pi the core 2 E6600 pwnz his**

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116249
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138043
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814141056
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820178095
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186134
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822210001
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147054

Well, you get a 2.66GHz Dual Core CPU and good cooling for it which will probably allow 3GHz with ease, 2GB of DDR2 533 although it won't be running in dual channel, an 8500GT, a decent case with a good power supply in it which will probably give you a little overclocking room, and a decent 160GB hard drive. I think this system would play Oblivion on Medium, Battlefield 2 on Menium/High decently.

It comes at $456.26 shipped, I'd like to see Dell offer a better deal

Comment

service and marketing matter a lot, especially to the vast majority of people without indepth computer knowledge. its not just the physical thing that matters, its also the process of getting it to the user and getting (and keeping) it working. obviously most people don't know enough to be able to assemble their own machine; so what are they supposed to do? ask some local teenager to put it together? depending on the teenager, that may be fine, but who can guarantee that he's qualified? would someone really want to entrust their documents and all their work for the next 4 years to the work of this random guy? if the teenager fucked up, you have no recourse

i don't see huge advantages either one way or the either--prebuilt or custom--so which you're gonna go with depends on your personal situation. you're only more likely to go custom if you know lots about computers; yet even some people who could assemble their own choose not to, like me

Comment

I'd rather get a pc for under $500 that stomps dell's crappy $500 machine :p

Comment

I use custom built machine. From August 2002... ...that got struck by lightning in 2003, taking with it half the ram, the processor, and the network card. Processor was replaced by something a little slower my brother had on hand and a spare network card. Still operating on that single 512 stick.
                        Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

The three machines I have at home are ones I custom built. The one at work is a Dell.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Well, let's see here... unless u buy a Mac, you do have a choice...
                            I started with a commodore64 (1982) prebuilt
                            then got an amiga500 5 years later(1987) prebuilt
                            then i got an Amiga 2000(1988 ) prebuilt
                            then I bought a used pc clone to run my amiga bbs
                            1st custom box: 386sx 16mhz with 4mb ram, 80mb hd, ibm 8502monitor, soundblaster card, no mouse, crapp ass keyboard... this was 1990
                            since then, i replaced the motherboard, more ram, oh a new hd, later a new case, then a new mouse, a new keyboard, a new soundcard, new monitor, etc..

after Commodore died i was stuck within the win/tel universe.
                            Stuck in a whirling black hole of replacing components every 2-3 years..

new cpu = new motherboard = new ram... this is the baseline routine
                            as parts die, or prices get "cant pass it up", i switch out hard drives, monitors, mice, keyboards, cd/dvd drives etc...

I guess until Dell, or HP takes trade-ins like car companies, why not replace parts as u need??

p.s. i typed this message on my sony viao laptop (prebuilt)
                            Last edited by R00k; 06-20-2007, 10:04 PM.
                            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

one huge drawback to prebuilts which no one's mentioned yet is all the worthless, resource hogging programs that all PC manufacturers install; someone came up with the name of Crapware for these. they sell your desktop and your hard drive as advertising space, and i really hate it but the upshot is that only PC manufacturers can get windows for cheap, bulk prices

Comment

Working...
                              X