Question about Linux/Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Linux/Ubuntu

Later today, I am going to get ahold of a Windows 98 machine someone has that they never use and never uses and probably Ubuntu on it.

Will the Ubuntu install format the harddrive or whatever it needs to do?

If not, where is a good guide on installing Ubuntu without having to buy/own any third party apps at all.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Baker, I have Ubuntu.iso on disc and all I did was threw it in and changed first boot device in BIOS and it installed.
    This body holding me,reminds me of my own mortality.
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal,all this pain is an illusion.

Comment

use partition magic to create a blank partition in your harddrive. You can still have your windows 98 on the other partition. Now install Ubuntu and use 512MB of it to make a SWAP partition. Use the rest of that blank partition to install Ubuntu Linux. If I recall correctly, there's an option for it to do that for you. It will show you the end results before actually doing anything.

Every linux OS forum has tons of topics on how to install the OS. Gentoo has the most

Comment

what is the swap partition for again

Comment

Virtual Memory Swapping

note: you can have more than one linux partition and only need 1 SWAP partition.

Comment

Spooker, the swap file is, at least in windows, a part of your hard drive that Windows tells the computer to use as RAM. Every program uses this, even if you had 40000000GB of ram installed, this swap file will satill be used. Some programs won't even work without it...

The swap file is a measure to make sure the computer doesn't crash when, in the older days, you had several things open at once, and was using up all that 8MB of ram. So Windows tells the computer so use a variable amount of the hard drive as RAM to prevent crashing. You can change it by going to My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance Options > "Change" under Virtual Memory, at least in Windows 2000. It's much the same in XP, I believe once you get to the Advanced tab you click on the swap file button or something..
            e|------------------------0---------------
            B|---------------0^1----------------1----
            G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
            D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
            A|---------------0------------------------
            E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
            X