Nerd on Nerd Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerd on Nerd Violence

C'mon coders. Yes, some of you guys are making fun of the stupid antics stories we tell about flame wars, admins trying to hose competing servers, bannings and all kinds of abuse.

But we all know you developer/coder types have these stories too:

I've read PLENTY of coder flame wars, here is one where a developer goes apeshit over LordHavoc using his precious code

http://www.quakedev.com/forums/index.php?topic=611.0:

By the honors system, that function is mine. LH must change it in his code to the proper function name, extension name, and #. Then make a public apology! This messsage will stay up until he does the right thing. There's are no if, buts, or excuses. Send hate mail here http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/index.html
    And one thread that had my laughing my azz off was:

Quakesrc Mappers vs. Coders

One funny quote in there was: "Hehe, the phrase "hideous 24-bit textures" cracked me up. Oh no! The colors! There are so many! More than 5 shades of brown should not exist! Where is the banding? The low resolution? The pixilation and dithering? THE HORROR! "

We know there have been engine vs. engine flames and such.

Enlightening us about the funny stories.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Actually when it came down to the hard-core programming, I never had a bit of trouble with anyone. They all knew that the game had to survive. But it became admin against admin and server against server. You can create all you want, but at the end of the day/month/year(s) it's who has the most players that wins.
    Chuck

Comment

Isn't it weird that the admin/coders in our part of the community (the servers) seem to code great together but when wearing the admin hat have historically had big wars over players/credit/etc.

I'm not a coder per se, but close enough that nothing is alien to me, and have maintained a subforum and filled it with Quake technical information for 3 years. I have also done a lot of beta testing, like for RQ and the JoeQuake engine.

I guess one thing I learned early is too not expect credit when others use your stuff. So it doesn't bother me.

TLTQ used my map screenshots that I made for Rune Central for their map database. I never cared. I never complained about it.

I was a little irked that at the bottom of the site it listed individual credits to different individuals and my name wasn't there.

But again, I had learned early to not expect and went into these things with the attitude that either I was trying to do it to help people as priority #1 or as "hey look how great I am" as #1. I chose the former.

I think those in the Quake community that are in it for helping people as priority #1 and not so worried about themselves are Quake's most valuable assets. And I feel most of the community is like this. Those that put the game first and themselves second are also easiest to work with.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

As for that first link, the shadowalker character is a well-known joke. Nobody takes him seriously. It wasn't LordHavoc who added that feature to DarkPlaces, it was me. shadowalker himself had requested it to be added to DarkPlaces. It was such a simple addition it was less than 10 lines of code. I guess if it's so small then two individual implementations might start looking alike? (By the way, a funny thing, is the GPL does not apply to code bits less than 10 lines long!)

Anyway, I never got that out because I didn't find the QSG thread about it until a day after it was locked. And I've been a little annoyed since.

edit: By the way, I looked at shadowalker's implementation of the feature recently, and it could not have been more different

Comment

Originally posted by Sajt
          It was such a simple addition it was less than 10 lines of code.
          I never read the details of it, but when it was first posted I saw it was something about a writestring function and I was left thinking "What is that? 20 lines of obvious code at most?" and you want to start a flame war over that?

Comment

Working...
          X