Computer Freezing.. anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sole, post a screenshot of your task manager processes tab. Here's mine:

to do a screencap like this one, just go to your task manager, maximize it, go to the properties tab, press print screen, go to paint, press Ctrl+V, save it as a .jpg, upload it somewhere and post
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I had similar problems. I formated and that's it!

( It was full of virus and spywares )

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
        In the end you are going to have to use msconfig to kill whatever is causing this.

If you press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and go to the processes tab, there is a column that says CPU %.

The next time you have this problem, do this and find out the offending process.

I'd recommend clicking Start - > Run -> Type MSCONFIG and press enter and then go to the StartUp tab and consider unchecking most of that stuff. You'll find all sorts of unnecessary stuff in there.

(MSCONFIG controls what is loaded at Startup every time the computer is booted; things like iTunes, QuickTime, Yahoo Messenger, Java Runtime and a million other things add themselves in there and you eventually have a mountain of stuff running in the background at all times that you are not using).
        Nothing was in startup that shouldn't be there and the only thing that was starting that did not need to was some Adobe Reader preloader thing which I disabled.

Here's my processes:

Comment

I've read that msmpeng.exe (Windows Defender) is a bloated resource hog prone to use 99% CPU sometimes. You might try shutting it down if you are going to use a game:

http://geekswithblogs.net/Coleman/ar...26/109906.aspx

You might also look into wmiprvse.exe:

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/w...um/101319.html
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

msmpeng.exe isn't in my process list but I do have wmiprvse.exe. No problems

Comment

wmiprvse.exe has something to do with Windows Media Player I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                If you press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and go to the processes tab, there is a column that says CPU %.

The next time you have this problem, do this and find out the offending process.
                This is an excellent way to determine what the hog is.

If you look at the one you posted, the "System Idle Process" specifically, Click on the CPU column so you can see the total resources that are being used. In other words the "99" should be on top.

When the slowing arises, do as Baker suggested. See what resource(s) are being used at that time.

As far as the power supply, these are all good suggestions. I'll add my 2 cents.

We have the same board. This unit has a monitor for all the power usage in the bios. So far, the only error I've had was an undervoltage for my CPU which completely stops the machine from booting. I do a hard off/on and that clears it. You can always check the current operating power consumption while your in it. Anything in the red??

Don't be afraid of the bios. If you accidentally change something and your not sure, just "exit without saving".

There was mention of hard drive issues. This is what I'm leaning towards. I'm not familiar with raid so I can't go there. I do know that a hard drive error will cause issues like you mentioned to escalate and eventually make it to where you have to re-install the OS. Depending on how bad the drive gets will determine if you can sucessfully install it or not. Again, I'm just guessing it to be the drive. Try a spare drive and see if the problem is still there.

Everytime you access your browser(s), you're writing to your drive in one form or another. The long loading of your army game has a well known issue with long loading times associated with version 2.7. None-the-less, you shouldn't be getting crappy performance.

Take things one step at a time and try process of elimination. This is also what Phenom stated.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

My problem is I don't know how to eliminate things, like how to be sure it's not a memory issue, graphics card issue, sound card issue, harddrive issue, etc. and that is what I was asking... how to eliminate certain issues to narrow down what the cause could be.

I can say after having my PC off for most of the day yesterday and then turning it back on last night, so far it has been running fine (about 12 hours or so). I haven't tried loading a game yet but for other normal, everyday tasks it's been running fine.

For the harddrive, if it were a harddrive issue a format wouldn't solve the problem right? The drive would still be bad... Unfortunately I'm also not too familiar with RAID (I knew I shouldn't have gotten the RAID). My setup has 3 harddrives, 2 are set up with RAID 0 and the 3'rd is a standalone. I was thinking of taking out the 2 RAID setup and installing the OS on the 3rd just to see if it is the harddrives (as the OS is currently installed on the RAID).

Comment

Like I mentioned before in AOL chat, you'd know if it was a raid 0 problem because you wouldn't be able to boot into windows at all. That is if windows is installed on the raid hard drives.

Comment

Ok here's the latest. I loaded up the Task Manager and kept it on top of other windows. I then loaded Quake (the task manager stayed on top). After about 10 minutes of playing the game started running so slow... the audio would repeat a RL shot and nothing would happen on the screen. It was as if the comp was frozen, but it was slowly responding... the task manager showed nothing out of the ordinary during this entire process. After about 5 minutes I lagged out of the game and another 5 minutes I was able to bring up the game menu and exit. Then everything on the computer started running fine again. However when I reloaded the game it ran super slow again.

I'm going to reformat just to see if that makes a difference. If not I'll take out the RAID drives and see if my 3rd drive runs ok. If so I suppose I can say it's one of the two RAID drives then right?

Comment

i'm guessing you haven't been praying to the right gods. did you try krishna? i've heard he often comes through in a pinch. just keep trying them all until your problem is fixed without any effort on your part. it may take a while tho....

but seriously, Because it gets slowly worse over time and then goes away means it's most likely an overheating issue. if playing a game slows it down over time, i would guess it has to do with components used heavily by games. In order of likeliness:
                        1) GPU
                        2) ram
                        3) processor
                        4) i guess it could be anything, but it's not likely to be the hard drive, on this very superficial analysis, because games tend to load everything into ram and only access the hard drive intermittently

Comment

Temps are not an issue. My GPU runs at around 60 C when playing Quake, a bit warmer when playing newer games. Idle it's at 55 C or so. CPU is a steady 30 C. I haven't checked RAM

Comment

Ok I think I found my problem. Instead of rebooting when my PC froze up I just left it on... eventually it got a BSOD and the error log points to an issue with "nv4_disp.dll" - "nv4_disp went into an infinite loop"

Googling that it appears the graphics driver can be in conflict if the previous version was not properly removed. I know I never removed a previous version when upgrading, I simply installed the new driver.

I also found another article that said moving your RAM from slots 1/2 to 1/3 can resolve this...

Comment

WEll uninstall all nvidia drivers and reinstall. DO NOT INSTALL NVIDIA FIREWALL!!

also, if those 3 drives are stacked togeather, it wouldn't suprize me if the middle one is gaying you.

Comment

also, if those 3 drives are stacked togeather, it wouldn't suprize me if the middle one is gaying you.
                                What's that supposed to mean?

Comment

Working...
                                X