Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baker
    replied
    I've read that msmpeng.exe (Windows Defender) is a bloated resource hog prone to use 99% CPU sometimes. You might try shutting it down if you are going to use a game:

http://geekswithblogs.net/Coleman/ar...26/109906.aspx

You might also look into wmiprvse.exe:

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/w...um/101319.html

Leave a comment:

• Solecord
    replied
    Originally posted by Baker View Post
    In the end you are going to have to use msconfig to kill whatever is causing this.

If you press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and go to the processes tab, there is a column that says CPU %.

The next time you have this problem, do this and find out the offending process.

I'd recommend clicking Start - > Run -> Type MSCONFIG and press enter and then go to the StartUp tab and consider unchecking most of that stuff. You'll find all sorts of unnecessary stuff in there.

(MSCONFIG controls what is loaded at Startup every time the computer is booted; things like iTunes, QuickTime, Yahoo Messenger, Java Runtime and a million other things add themselves in there and you eventually have a mountain of stuff running in the background at all times that you are not using).
    Nothing was in startup that shouldn't be there and the only thing that was starting that did not need to was some Adobe Reader preloader thing which I disabled.

Here's my processes:

Leave a comment:

• joao93
    replied
    I had similar problems. I formated and that's it!

( It was full of virus and spywares )

Leave a comment:

• foq
    replied
    Sole, post a screenshot of your task manager processes tab. Here's mine:

to do a screencap like this one, just go to your task manager, maximize it, go to the properties tab, press print screen, go to paint, press Ctrl+V, save it as a .jpg, upload it somewhere and post

Leave a comment:

• Baker
    replied
    Originally posted by Solecord View Post
    ^^ haven't done any of that yet but...

It seems that after leaving the computer on for several hours it starts to "deterioriate" with programs causing CPU usage to jump to 50%-90% and then everything starts to freeze (according to performance graph in nTune). If I shut the PC off for an hour and turn it back on it seems to work again for awhile.

Does this help with any sort of diagnosis?
    In the end you are going to have to use msconfig to kill whatever is causing this.

If you press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and go to the processes tab, there is a column that says CPU %.

The next time you have this problem, do this and find out the offending process.

I'd recommend clicking Start - > Run -> Type MSCONFIG and press enter and then go to the StartUp tab and consider unchecking most of that stuff. You'll find all sorts of unnecessary stuff in there.

(MSCONFIG controls what is loaded at Startup every time the computer is booted; things like iTunes, QuickTime, Yahoo Messenger, Java Runtime and a million other things add themselves in there and you eventually have a mountain of stuff running in the background at all times that you are not using).

Leave a comment:

• Solecord
    replied
    System is clear according to AVG.

Leave a comment:

• foq
    replied
    Perhaps you have a nasty virus then?

Leave a comment:

• Solecord
    replied
    ^^ haven't done any of that yet but...

It seems that after leaving the computer on for several hours it starts to "deterioriate" with programs causing CPU usage to jump to 50%-90% and then everything starts to freeze (according to performance graph in nTune). If I shut the PC off for an hour and turn it back on it seems to work again for awhile.

Does this help with any sort of diagnosis?

Leave a comment:

• Polarite
    replied
    U said it freezes while browsing the web also and starting games.

Did u update the bios ?

Ur Mobo is this one right ? :
    Asus P5N32-E-SLI NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI :

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...3&l2=11&l3=397

Update programme : http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mis...pdt_V71005.rar

Latest Bios version 1205 :

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...20SLI/1205.zip
    Last edited by Polarite; 10-20-2007, 10:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Solecord
    replied
    If it were a RAID issue would the computer operate normally except when I load a game?

Leave a comment:

• Polarite
    replied
    Maybe its a RAID problem , if one of those drive have a little problem u can have big freezes...

Try installing ur pc on 1 hd instead of using RAID 0.

PS i hate RAID 0 ! , yes its fast if all runs ok but if 1hd fails u lose everything !!

Leave a comment:

• Phenom
    replied
    Also memory, cpu or harddrive over heating are major players when it comes to freezups.. I know you have "decent" temps but faulty hardware from the mfr might be a reason for freezups also.

I hope you let that memory test run over night?

If all else fails do it the PC tech way...

open your PC, remove everything but the CPU, video card and memory and test the BIOS, if that doesn't freeze up, add the harddrive back, no freeze? then add in another device and repeat until you can duplicate the problem at will.. then you will have a big idea of whats the problem!

Leave a comment:

• Phenom
    replied
    Power Supply Tester on Ebay

A Cheap little device that checks if your power supply is spitting out the right voltage or not.

I have one, works like a charm

Leave a comment:

• Canadian*Sniper
    replied
    My rig had to replace a faulty harddrive after it froze on me then deleted the windows index file It was like trying to find a specific word in a 1000000 page book without an index or glossary.

Leave a comment:

• Solecord
    replied
    ya it sux lol it's worked fine up until 2 days ago.

Right now it seems to be working fine doing basic tasks (internet, office stuff, etc) but when I load any game I have on my PC (quake 1, america's army, quake wars demo, fear) it crawls to a hault and the game itself seems to just slug along trying to load.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X