X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable vs. DSL

Broadband

I've had cable and I've had DSL.

With cable, they send you a crappy CD and -- if you are smart that, that finds its way into a trash can -- you just plug the cable modem in and plug the ethernet cord in and then you are done and on the internet.

With DSL -- and I've also worked at an outsourced Verizon DSL call center for 8 months, so I have first hand experience on how much it sucks --- you have to do this:

1. Install their CD
    2. It installs all kinds of sh*t you don't want
    3. Half the time, at least some of the stuff has tons of bugs and runs in the background, consuming resources
    4. It has a user name and password
    5. You have to put all these filters on your phones
    6. It isn't as fast as cable
    7. If you call them asking for help, it is a nightmare and you will probably get a noob reading step by step instructions off a screen
    8. If you get a wireless router or something, prepare for pain

The only reason anyone would get DSL over cable is

1. Not knowing better
    2. The price
    3. You can't get cable because of where you live, but can get DSL

There is satellite internet. Does this actually qualify as broadband? I would say no. I think it uses the phone for the upstream and is laggy. There was some Quake player we see occasionally that uses satellite internet and it is very laggy. I guess the downstream speed is ok for view pages, or at least it is better than dialup.

I might add there are some DSL using players that swear by DSL and say it is smoother. So this is just my opinion based on my experiences. I know some players that have had some real problems with their cable connections.
    Cable
    87.50%
    DSL
    12.50%
    Dial Up
    0.00%
    Satellite
    0.00%
    Other
    0.00%
    No internet connection
    0.00%
    Last edited by Baker; 03-28-2006, 09:31 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I had DSL shortly after it debuted because cable wasn't offered in my area yet. It was much faster than dialup but not nearly as fast as cable. I was only 1 mile away from the switching station or whatever you call it so I always had good speeds though. And I never had software I had to install Baker? I plugged the DSL modem into my router, router to PC, and boom. I had a disc full of the ISP's software but never used it.

Comment

I've used a cable modem & DSL modem.

Cable modems definitely are easier to install. plug in three wires and play uake. With the DSL modem I used (I still have it to its chillin in a plastic bag somewhere around here) I got a nice little package of hardware that I had to use or else I might "experience" transmission interference with my Phone/ DSL modem. The Tech support for DSL also did seem slightly noobish about the whole DSL aspect, but it only took me 5 minutes to get an order done earlier today with my cable modem providers and that's including the 1+minute electronic voice responder that answers their phone. The order("Upgrade") was finished and operational within 5 minutes, WOW! and I got my cable modem speed doubled from 4Mbs to 9Mbs for just $15.00 more.

There was one aspect of my DSL modem I thoroughly enjoyed and that was the security (router) built directly into the modem itself with a very nice interface. Once I moved DSL was no longer available dew to my location
      ...5 blocks up the street...
      so I switched back to cable modem and never looked back at DSL. I actually thought about throwing the DSL modem away, but I think my old DSL provider wants their trash back hehe. So if they ever ask for it, its right here filling up a plastic bag or I might have tossed it, who knows... Its a good idea with DSL just not enough "cahones" under the hood and you don't have to have the freakish Frankenstein phone jack filters.

I haven't used satellite yet, I heard its bad for gaming but alright for everything else, kind of slow, but I digress.

Even though the DSL modem had a built in router I dumped it for cable modem and kept the cable modem even after I moved back to a DSL "available" area ...5 blocks down the street...
      bought me a D-link router for more security and everything's working smoothly Although I did put the D-link router to rest quickly and scooped up a Wireless Linksys router which is even more pimpn then the D-link wired router, I mainly went wireless for my PSP and PC in the basement of my new home hehe.

Now, without going into detail. I think cable modem is better.

Thanks, management.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Ive got a campus connection. Which is damn smooth over Christmas or such, when there is maybe 50 people here on the connections dedicated for 13,000.
        Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Hmm,
          Well, for me I've had DSL for about 6 years. I'll admint the software was a bit cumbersome to install at the start, back on win98. But honestly after installing XP and building a new machine, all I had to do was connect the DSL modem to my router, then to the ethernet card. XP detected everything and the router connects to the internet everytime I boot up. I have a 3mb downstream and 256kb up, for less than $50 a month. ANY hour of the day its the same speeds, I have only heard that cable gets slow during peak times. If I was already a subscriber to CABLE tv then I might have gone that route, but since Im not, and DSL works for me, I've stuck with it without any problems.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Hmmm...well I have 2 DSL hard lines and broadband/comcast.
            My DSL lines are 768 up and 2mb down. Upgrading soon if the line
            permits to 1.2 up and 5mb down. The latency is much better on
            the dsl lines and can handle a serious load. The broadband is only
            good for ping times and playing vids as a client. It probably could
            handle a very small server(DMX). I have six server boxes and a commercial
            account with Qwest. What cable doesn't tell you is that your up
            stream is usually capped about 256-384 if your lucky. So running
            and kind of server will be limited but not to bad as a single client.

Comment

CABLE ALL THE WAY it is the FASTEST connection type nowadays. Unless they have some uber-fast new way. It is much easier than DSL and MUCH faster. When I first got it over dial-up, I was shaking with excitement when I first saw my 30 ping on SINGED.

Comment

Working...
              X