No announcement yet.

Byopc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another thing, i also have 2 hd's, one is 80gb and the other 250gb, i use the 80 one for games the other for storage, although i could use the larger one for games too, don't think it would make any diff.

as for the power supply antec smartpower supply, fried my soundcard like 5 times before i could figure out what was going on, i kept going back to the store exchanging it, so watch out, my advice is not to buy that. it could pose a danger to your other components, and it's not worth risking it.

as for mem, i think 4 gb has u safe for long long time. this way u cram ur machine to the fullest and u wont have to mess with it later, i do it all at once, although it could cost u a bit, if u wait it could be cheaper in the future. but id rather have everything at once right now, that's just my preference.

as for OS, get XP Pro, Vista is too new and too demanding, it takes away from the games as the OS needs more power PLUS to run the games. XP PRO SP2 (what i have) is extremely stable at this point (plus it has all the drivers for everything, something Vista is still missing) and u dont need to venture into VISTA for another 3-4 years.

ps. i also built my own computer
    Last edited by Paradi$e; 12-12-2007, 08:26 AM.

Comment

No Paradi$e, I'm not joking. Go read the Alienware specs.

You get what you pay for when it comes to computer components.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I can do anything Alienware can do for much cheaper.

Tia, AMD is falling behind. Thier new Phenom processors can't beat Intel's old Q6600. Intel is coming out with some new cpus soon, which are core 2's with a die shrink and faster clockspeeds, and they will completely smash the Phenoms.

About your Antec power supply, I'd be willing to bet you had a Smartpower series. All of Antec's other power supplies are good. If you RMA a smartpower, Antec will give you a NeoHE series, which are made by a much better OEM.
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

proof (note that the Q6600 is also a cheaper chip)

The Phenom 9700 won't be out for a while yet. AMD is having trouble getting it to run on stock speeds. The 9600 (2.3GHz) and the 9500 (2.2GHz) are available for sale though, but don't expect them to go much faster than they already are at stock (if you even plan on overclocking in the first place).

I'll answer the question you all may have: why is the dual-core winning in some tests against the two other quads? It's because the dual-core has a clock of 3.2GHz, the two quads are only 2.4GHz. Windows does not automatically ensure the programs take advantage of all available cores, it's how the program is coded. Some are coded to only one core, some are coded to use 2, others 4, others it doesn't matter, it takes advantage of everything.

To answer the question about RAM, 4GB is more futureproof because 2GB is starting to not be enough, espically in Vista. Also, I urge you to get some form of Vista x64. Vista will be forced on us somehow in one way or another, and there's a few people on my tech forum that use vista and love it, don't understand why everyone hates it.

Comment

Does it really matter? Quake will run on a P100 @ 166mhz and all other games suck. Why does this discussion even exist? Top of the line is measured in 1 month increments .... hasn't anyone figured this out yet besides me???? You are just supporting the hype that these manufacturers are feeding you.
            getogamer

Comment

i cant make much of the charts. lol.

i owned in an intel based computer before and it was sluggish compared to my AMD, never went back.

yes it was a smartpower powersupply, but if a company fucks up once with me, im not going back to it ever again. and neither should anyone else.

i demand and expect beyond perfection and will settle for nothing less.

phenom, i frequented the AA website, i know what they have, no doubt it's a nice pc, to fool around i maxed everything out on their built your custom pc page, to find out that the pc amounted to 15,000. i laughed then i closed the browser.

i am a spender but spending that much on a stupid pc is ridiculous. if u are a celebrity then by all means go for it but most of us aren't, therefore it is not an option.

getogamer, pent 100 166mhz is trash, i had a pent 200mhz, with 80gb ram and 4 mb vid card lol, my very first pc, and the game was unplayable in any other resultion other then software mode native minimum resolution. and if u want to run gl (which is the norm these days-as software mode is dog ugly), this is out of the question for now-a-days.

Comment

Tia, that's a bad way of thinking. Antec realizes thier mistake and if you RMA a smartpower PSU, you will have a guy knocking on your door with a brand new PSU made by Seasonic (I believe... not sure).

As for Intel, it is an undeniable truth that they are trumping AMD right now. Price vs Performance, espically with Q6600 vs Phenoms, Intel is rocking AMD.

Comment

i feel like many people on these forums don't actually read and process the posts that they purport to be replying to, and are really only out to say something negative against another person and not at all constructive. hmmm, perhaps this is why most people dont go to forums....

Comment

Originally posted by spooker View Post
                    i feel like many people on these forums don't actually read and process the posts that they purport to be replying to, and are really only out to say something negative against another person and not at all constructive. hmmm, perhaps this is why most people dont go to forums....
                    I think I'm being very constructive...

Comment

Working...
                    X