What firewall are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What firewall are you using?

I'm currently using Sygate Personal Firewall ver 5.6 on my Windows 2000 setup.

How about you guys?
    'My teammates are no good to me alive.' -Bank on CA.

'I'll cry when I'm done killin!' -A REAL Patriot

Clan TU

Your own... personal... Shambler
    someone to hear your prayers
    someone who cares
    your own... personal... Shambie
    someone whos there

none
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I did try using the Comodo firewall and it had a lot of nice features, however it reacted negatively with a few of the games software I ran like Unreal Tournament.

Clan TU

someone who cares
      someone whos there

Comment

Sygate 5.1

My Vista laptop -- no 3rd party firewall [that is free] works on it. I guess Microsoft doesn't want a 3rd party firewall stopping their DRM phone homes.

That's annoying to me because I don't think companies should be invading privacy.

Recently, for instance, it was in the news that MySpace Instant Messages reports to homebase what you are doing even when it is "offline". All kinds of companies make software that violate your privacy -- with Sygate, every application is denied internet access so they can't phone home.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I run my own iptables scripts on a server box but it's stateless which is why I also have a router.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
            Sygate 5.1

My Vista laptop -- no 3rd party firewall [that is free] works on it. I guess Microsoft doesn't want a 3rd party firewall stopping their DRM phone homes.

That's annoying to me because I don't think companies should be invading privacy.

Recently, for instance, it was in the news that MySpace Instant Messages reports to homebase what you are doing even when it is "offline". All kinds of companies make software that violate your privacy -- with Sygate, every application is denied internet access so they can't phone home.
            When you get time can you expound on why you use 5.1 vs 5.6? I'm assuning you are not able to use it on the Vista system. God M$ is sucha monopolistic big brother son of a bitch

Clan TU

someone who cares
            someone whos there

Comment

Routers are enough firewall for me,they are redundant

unless you use a default admin/admin admin/1234 or admin login/pass , then your begging for intrusion.
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

i use zonealarm. it's one of my principles never to pay for software, and zonealarm is free. I've put it on probably about 5 computers (winxp) and it works wonderfully, though i have seen it not work on one laptop. i tried running the windows firewall on my laptop for a while, since i don't keep my laptop on all the time, but after 2 weeks i did a spyware scan and found tons of crap. i also loved sygate before it got bought by norton (another evil monopolistic company), and recently i tried putting it on a laptop running XP pro and it fucked up in numerous ways.
                Security wise, these are the things everyone should have, whether behind a router or not: firewall, antivirus, spyware protection. To tweak performance, everyone should also defragment regularly and consider using a registry cleaner

Comment

Baker will kill you for using ZA.

Comment

If it works for him, then it's good.

I've had (many) problems with Zone Alarm, but if it works for Spooker that's great.

The reason I got on your case for using Zone Alarm is because you'd posted at Singed how you were having problems with it and then you kept using it, and then posted more about the problems!!!
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

At singed I was like 11 :/
                      ZA made me lag

Comment

i dont remember that at all. yeah it had problems with 1 puter i put it on. but ive put it on many others and its run perfect

Comment

If it works for him, then it's good.

I've had (many) problems with Zone Alarm, but if it works for Spooker that's great.

The reason I got on your case for using Zone Alarm is because you'd posted at Singed how you were having problems with it and then you kept using it, and then posted more about the problems!!!
                          Yeah I hate ZA as well. One of the things it did on top of screwing up my connection was it would say it didnt respond to an intrusion or somesuch when in fact the scan revealed it had responded and had not been in stealth. I can't remember if the port was actually open or just not stealth. Whatever it was, ZA reported one thing and the shields up scan reported another.

Sygate is really good at not interfering with your ping when playing online.

I used BlackICE back in the day and that was an excellent firewall. I was using a 14.4kb modem with black ICE and played Quake on Shmack with no ping increase whatsoever.And its on demand window into the internet traffic was interesting.

You could watch people trying to attack DNS servers etc if you were using a modem and black ice would let you know what was going on when you asked it. Fascinating. Like a whole hidden underworld going on behind the scenes you were privy to.

Clan TU

someone who cares
                          someone whos there

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzznut View Post
                            Yeah I hate ZA as well. One of the things it did on top of screwing up my connection was it would say it didnt respond to an intrusion or somesuch when in fact the scan revealed it had responded and had not been in stealth.
                            I got a blue screen of death EARLY on boot (before safe mode was even an option and before my video was initialized) with Zone Alarm on this computer.

I can't remember exactly how I dealt with that, I think I had to make a boot disk on my laptop; it was a real mess.

On my old machine, the Zone Alarm icon would sometimes disappear from the Windows tray and block everything and I would have to reboot.

And Zone Alarm memory usage would infinitely increase over time, supposedly the result of a conflict with Norton anti-virus or something. So Zone Alarm would be using 160 MB, and they wouldn't respond to the problem (many others complained about this).

When Zone Alarm did work, it felt like it causing me lag on occasion.

But that was my experience, it must work well for others with different hardware setups or different software installed.

Sygate really is the perfect firewall; so perfect that Norton had to buy them immediately terminate their product.

Comment

Sygate really is the perfect firewall; so perfect that Norton had to buy them immediately terminate their product.
                              Yeah its a damn shame. Norton now is a bunch of crap.

As for ZA I believe Steve Gibson of GRC.COM use to be on their payroll. Also it is my strong suspicion that Steve Gibson is the author of the Witty Worm that attacked a vulnerability of the BlackICE firewall.

Clan TU

someone who cares
                              someone whos there

Comment

Working...
                              X