Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keylogger hyper links; should I be afraid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keylogger hyper links; should I be afraid?

What?
    Keylogger (according to http://www.urbandictionary.com)

A keylogger is a spy tool used to capture your keystrokes. The most common keyloggers are software based. There's also hardware keyloggers. A keylogger is a double-edged sword, meaning it can be used for good and bad. It might be used by parents or guardians to monitor their children's internet activity or be used by criminals to steal your passwords, social security numbers, and credit card numbers. Keyloggers might be attached to trojan/viruses. Keyloggers hide and are very hard to detect by a novice. They don't show up in processes. Keyloggers might hook to your keyboard which is the most common way or inject its self deep into the kernel of your operating system which makes it very difficult to detect and remove.
    -------------------

I don't really notice these type of links anywhere but official wow forums, and as soon as someone posts a link as such the next posters always like
    "He didn't ask about keyloggers actually."
    "when are these guys gonna give it up?"

Now to my main question, should i be afraid of clicking on every hyper link with peculiar address? Furthermore if i click on a like whats it take me to? I don't think my pc will automatically download an exe file but i've never tried to goto one on purpose and not sure if ive visited one by accident; so im kinda curious as to what threat they pose.

Excuse my information super highway newbiery, thanks people.

Definately sounds like something to be afaraid of. But you can tell where a link leads to...
    link
    just by pointing your mouse at it, and in the bottom left corner, you will see exactly where it goes. If it doesn't look trustworthy, don't click.
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

ive never heard of a keylogger installing itself just by someone clicking on a link. opening strange email attachments is of course a different story--never do that. but if you take proper precautions--use antivirus, firewall, anti-spyware, and a secure browser like firefox--then merely clicking on links shouldnt fuck anything up too bad. when you see people spamming links on WOW, it's probably because they're getting paid depending on how many go there. I dont think too many people "promote" viruses like that; most who pass viruses on do so unwittingly

Comment

Firefox actually has more security holes than IE, and Mozilla said they wern't planning to fix most of them.
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

link?

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
            Firefox actually has more security holes than IE, and Mozilla said they wern't planning to fix most of them.
            Yeah and you will get laid in the foreseeable future.

What matters is the target of malware creators and that target is mostly Windows & Internet Explorer. I suggest a browser like Opera or K-Meleon.
            Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

show evidence

Comment

The type of "security holes" in FireFox are either trivial (someone can fake a cookie) or involve something that would never happen (if you drag drop a bookmark from an SSL site with so and so on over a proxy network and javascript enabled after visiting ...).

The type of security holes in IE are the kind that means something can do anything it wants on your computer.

Firefox is the equivalent of a spoon because by DESIGN it has no ability to access the file system; IE is the equivalent of a grenade because it is directly interfaced to the operating system.

Things that can go wrong with a spoon aren't something to lose sleep over. Things that can go wrong with a grenade are very worrysome.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

What Spooker said. Also:

NoScript:
                  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Secure Login:
                  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4429

Comment

It just occurred to me to search for this:

KeyScrambler Personal
                    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3383

I don't use it. I don't know if it works. I don't know if it's safe.

Interesting, though.

Comment

Shazbot!

Comment

i tried your noscript add-on and it made it so i couldn't see who was on a server by putting my mouse over it on the quakeone main page
                        disabled

Comment

So click on the noscript icon and allow quakeone.com?

That's how it works by default. Blocks everything 'til you permit it. Like a firewall, sorta.

Comment

Working...
                          X