ZDaemon Speech (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZDaemon Speech (again)

These Doom II guys have 3600 members in their messageboard.

ZDaemon.org Doom II Community

They have a ton of clans, a ton of tournaments. There are 100,000 posts in their forum (which seems to be down today).

Doom II is a game older than Quake. I'm not comparing Doom II to Quake, Doom II is/was fun.

But what I am pointing out is that have their act together. The distribution, the help, the servers ... everything.

If ZDaemon can have 3600 members in a forum, it just goes to show the potential of actually fixing Quake.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Actually Zdaemon is quite the soap opera of a place. Almost no one agrees to their administration, their piracy of doom2.wad (YES, zdaemon asks to retrieve it if you don't have it, similar situation to equake), and even their latest virus production which deletes zdaemon and doom2.wad from a player.

Comment

Never tried it. I think I did read a forum fiasco or two here and there on that site, and I've heard about some of their iffy practices in regards to the WAD file. Most of my knowledge is second hand from 4 or 5 different players who had tried and told me what they felt the strengths of their setup is.

One particular strength is the built-in server browser. Another strength of their community is the newbie friendliness of Doom II.

Our community is rather newbie friendly because we have a couple of solid FFA servers that regularly see action, and newbies can enjoy a 12 player FFA pretty easily, whereas to contrast, most of the action I see on Quakeworld servers (I'm talking USA only here, not Europe) -- aside from Team Fortress -- are mildly populated DM servers where there experts tend to hang out and the noobs get it pretty hard.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by CheapAlert
        Actually Zdaemon is quite the soap opera of a place. Almost no one agrees to their administration, their piracy of doom2.wad (YES, zdaemon asks to retrieve it if you don't have it, similar situation to equake), and even their latest virus production which deletes zdaemon and doom2.wad from a player.
        Yeah, I hate Zd about as much as Cheapy here, I much more of a skulltag fan.
        "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Baker and his dozen originally said:
          One particular strength is the built-in server browser.
          I keep harping on this note, but it just reminded me, this is why I love DarkPlaces once more "I wanna play netQuake... *updates netQuake master server list*" "...I wanna play QuakeWorld now... *updates QW master server list*" Yay for servers!

Granted Im usually just looking for LordHavoc's server running whatever balls to the wall insane feature he just coded 5 minutes ago in DPmod... but hey, it is there...
          Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Does Darkplace's server browser display all the (Net)Quake servers? It is my understanding that DP only is aware of DP servers, at least on the NQ side, but I haven't checked it in a long time.

I figure DP uses whatever EZQuake uses to detect QW servers.

Comment

ZDaemon sucks. Bad ping. Not that fun anyway.

Comment

Honestly I dont know, but I think it could be improved upon rather easily. LordHavoc just has a lot on his plate right now, but the existing server browser is a good start (it returns around 300+ for QW) just for making Quake games seem more accessible (which for me is the real problem with Quake these days, the halls feel empty, like you showed up at school on a Saturday not realizing it).
                Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Zdaemon is not a bad thing. And it doesnt support piracy. That is a rumor that seems to spread around the Quake community in order to criticize doom. Zdaemon will fetch any missing pwads you need, but it does not fetch iwads. It will not fetch any of the doom core game wads for you.

Doom multiplayer is very well organized, much more so than quake, but i think there are actually many more quake multiplayers. They just arent all in one or two spots like for doom.

And zdaemon isnt really the premiere doom multiplayer port at the moment. That honor likely goes to Skulltag.

Comment

oh wait, looks like you're right. That's pretty shady. I usually stick with Skulltag.

Comment

I hate both ports (st and ZDaemon) so I don't play Doom online.

Comment

I like 3D action. I could never go back to Doom's 2.5 dimensions, although it was a blast back before I started playing Quake in 1999.

Comment

Doom single player will always be better than the multiplayer. Just like Quake's multiplayer is better than the single player.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                            I like 3D action. I could never go back to Doom's 2.5 dimensions, although it was a blast back before I started playing Quake in 1999.
                            new doom engines allow you to look up or down.. and there are some impressive maps that don't feel restrictive (ikbrowny.wad for example). i'm playing ZDoom from time to time with bots.. it is very fun! the feeling of the old school double-barreled shotgun is priceless
                            one quake to rule them all.

Comment

i don't like the newer engines that enable mouselook. It just ruins the feel of the game, and the way the game was meant to be played. It is kind of like Quake with the grappling hook.

Comment

Working...
                              X