No announcement yet.

new monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer: for work, fun and entertainment; often has an uptime of 50% (crashes); often requires upgrades to keep up with new games (Video, memory, controllers, faster cpu's)

Console: for fun and entertainment; often has an uptime of 99.9%; only requires you to buy another new console when you want to, all the games made for the console don't have any other requirements than having the console itself
    "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
      How so? Got your friends talking to you hooked up through xfire or ventrillo or something with headsets while playing a game and having the comfort of not putting up with that splitscreen shit is essentially the same thing.
      Didn't you PM me saying x-fire "r teh sux" ?

Comment

joao, yes, but xfire is just an example. Ventrilo is pretty good.
        IEEE, yeah, your computer will crash if you don't know what you're doing when you build it, or if you overclock it improperly, or if you get a virus. It's pretty easy to build it properly and not get viruses. I havn't used antivirus software or even a firewall for years and the only virus I got was some shit I downloaded off of Limewire as a noob and didn't know what it was. And it was easy enough to remove.
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I own both, but I do not take my console seriously, it is just for fun. I have a 360 by the way.

I do not understand why anybody would get a WII. It is the weakest of all the current generation consoles. For a few bucks more, you can get a 360 which is a powerhouse compared to the WII.

Nintendo tried to sell the idea of "fun" to gamers who don't care about specs and power, but for me that does not cut it, the graphics ability of a platform plays a major role in the fun factor to be had with it. Not also mentioning the fact that swinging those nunchucks like an idiot around the room is not my idea of fun or exercise and it does not apeal to me. If I want a workout I do it properly with weights.

As for the graphics department, an extreme example would be comparing a Commodore with recent PC, you are going to have a lot much more fun on your recent PC than on the Commodore.

My take on consoles is that they are the poor man's alternative to playing games. Consoles are for kids as well and for people with low technical know how: lack of knowledge on how to install them, update drivers, configure their computer, etc.. Also exceptions do certainly exist, but a PC will always be more powerful and versatile then a console, for the bottom line simple fact reason of their price point: you get what you pay for. A 500 dollar console is never going to be more powerful then a 3,000 dollar computer - using extremes here.

Not only that, but a computer is just more sophisticated and more capable then a console. A console built to match the latest computer's specs will be essentially another computer, and to build it smaller without overheating will essentially prove to be even more expensive. Therefore it can not and will not be done.

I leave you with this funny informational site on old computers lol:
          http://www.blinkenlights.com/pc.shtml
          Last edited by Paradi$e; 02-16-2008, 07:08 PM.

Comment

IEEE, yeah, your computer will crash if you don't know what you're doing when you build it, or if you overclock it improperly, or if you get a virus. It's pretty easy to build it properly and not get viruses. I havn't used antivirus software or even a firewall for years and the only virus I got was some shit I downloaded off of Limewire as a noob and didn't know what it was. And it was easy enough to remove.
            Hmm, I don't feel like responding to this insult.

Comment

The only time I've had my computer crash/lock up was when I just tried new settings that wern't stable, and on my old AMD K6-II 400MHz machine, or when my crappy 300w power supply was strangling the rest of my system including a P4 powerhog that took 1.6v at stock settings.

Comment

@Paradise. Wiis are the most popular compared to the other consoles (PS3 being dead last). I have nothing against the other newer consoles but the Wii is going to have Super Smash Bros Brawl and that's going to be tits. Xbox360 will be having Banjo Threeie and PS3 will have MGS4. Oh well I'll survive.

Comment

lol mario

Comment

WIIs are popular because since Nintendo could not fund to build a powerful console they directed their efforts to advertising it instead. Still popularity and advertising will not save a weak and bad console.

That and the fact that Nintendo keeps churning our remakes of old titles. Except for the million Marios and Zeldas - which are good, no question, do they have other original games? No. And owning it just for one game the Smash Brothers it is not worth it, just speaking of rehashes, that same game is available on the GameCube. And the basic concept and graphical difference can not be that much far apart.

That and their weak system is going to cause them their doom. They could not keep up from the start. When the PS2 came out, they were in trouble with the Cube, when the Xbox came out, they were totally crushed. Now, they struggle how much they can to keep stay afloat and took the way of advertising the WII as "fun." Nintendo's only good system - if not the best - was the Super Nintendo. But they lost control of the market since the original PlayStation came out, because they planned a CD based Super Nintendo, but SONY came out with the idea first and stole all the momentum, leaving them biting the dust.

I heard many instances that people got bored with their WIIs and kiddy-like simplistic games and graphics and were drooling over Gears of War on the 360, which does not even compare. Then they felt like huge idiots at their mistake and wished they bought a more competent console instead.

I am not saying all this to make you feel bad, but popularity based on advertising will not save the system. By all means have fun with it but if you want to get rid of it, the time is now, as it is still in relative high demand and you can surely get more then what you paid for, unfortunately from a poor informed grandma or some naive kid, and get yourself a console which will last you a while longer then one which was doomed technically from the start. Because the WII is nothing more then a Cube in a new box.

In conclusion, products based on hype alone do not succeed. Eventually, the excitement wears off and the true skeleton will come out of the closet - as to say - and as people will realize the true nature of something, the wave of hype that WII created will come crashing down and their system - and not to mention stock - will plummet. But right now, they just want to keep on riding that wave, and make it last as long as possible.

You can not blame them for that, from a financial standpoint, because they are a business after all, just as any other. They are on the market to make money and they will put their strongest side up with what they can to make themselves look the best in the eyes of the consumers.
                    Last edited by Paradi$e; 02-16-2008, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Sony offered Nintendo a chance to work with them on the cd-based console but Nintendo refused and got pwnt if memory serves me right.

Comment

How'd they get pwnt?

Comment

Well it's pretty obvious the playstation totally pwned the n64

Comment

At my workplace many people own Wii's vs the other consoles, and we actually talk about the console and trade games. I'd say Nintendo is doing well, except they're not targeting a hardcore market.

What I find funny is that the people who are talking about this still play the original Quake which does not require a lot of power to do. So by doing so is like saying "I don't need amazing hardware to have fun!" a statement that supports Nintendo. And, yeah, I know you can get enhanced versions of Quake that DO need more power, but they get old sometimes.

Comment

Well it's pretty obvious the playstation totally pwned the n64
                              That's a dumb statement. The n64 was a top selling console and had a butt load of awesome multiplayer games like goldeneye64. So what you're saying is you have no proof about this "pwning".

Comment

Quake would be fun on the WII, but too bad they do not have MP support for it. I saw on their website that you can surf the web with it, but nothing yet on an XBox Live similar type of service. Quake would be a smash it and would fit the WII scope very good. A simple yet deep fun game which the WII can handle and you can play people across the country with it. Yes, in fact it would be a HUGE hit if they do do it. Throw in RuneQuake and a CA+ mod in it and Quake and us would boom in popularity. That and the ability to play against PC owners as well. Someone should suggest that to them.

Speaking of the WII, I took a peak at some recent games. It seems some good games are coming out for it and the graphics in them actually look a lot better then when the WII first came out. I liked the screenshots. They are pretty clear - less fuzzy then before - and the colors are very nice, vibrant, natural and seem alive.

http://www.gamepro.com/subindex/scre...orm=wii&alpha=
                                Last edited by Paradi$e; 02-17-2008, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X