Laptop Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Suggestions

So I'm debating on whether or not I should buy a laptop and I'm looking for any suggestions you may have. Requirements/conditions:

- The laptop would be strictly for work (programming, email, web surfing, etc.), no gaming at all.
    - Would like to spend $800 or less, but will spend up to $1000 if need be.
    - Would prefer a larger size screen (no 13.3" screens plz!)
    -Size and portability are not a huge concern

Other than that I'm open for suggestions. The only laptops I've ever used were Dells so I really have no knowledge when it comes to other brands.

I'd make sure to get a core 2 duo, from a respectable manufacturer with a 17" screen, and decent ram, hd, hard drive. Then job 1 would be remove vista and install xp.

http://dealnews.com is always helpful.

Oh yes, and stop lying you know you'll quake on it
    uakene.com

Comment

This is just about the same as my wide screen laptop:

HP Pavillion dv9715nr - $899

Features:

1. 17" widescreen display (a very, very nice one)
      2. Full keyboard including keypad
      3. Scroll bar next to touchpad (similar to scroll wheel on a mouse, once you have this, not having a scroll bar just won't do)
      4. GeForce 7150 built-in, keeps your gaming options open

The laptop also has just about every imaginable option built in:

- Built-in wireless adapter
      - Has a built-in webcam (including a light, LOL!)
      - Has a built-in microphone
      - DUAL MONITOR capability <---- no shit :d :d :d
      - Every USB, ethernet, TV out and whatever miscellaneous ports you can think of
      - Comes with headphones (well, actually they are earbuds ... what do you call those?)
      - Has a lightscribe DVD-ROM burner (lightscribe is where it will laser ingrave an image onto the DVD surface)

The RAM and hard drive capacities are pretty good too. I think it's 2GB RAM and 250 GB hard drive.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Programming, email, and web surfing don't require much memory and processor power so go cheap and light If you can get a battery that lasts longer than 3 hours, Awesome

Comment

Same laptop is $849 at Samsclub!
          http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...373&pCatg=5680

And with 3GB memory it's $949!
          http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...374&pCatg=5680

Originally posted by Baker View Post
          This is just about the same as my wide screen laptop:

HP Pavillion dv9715nr - $899

Features:

1. 17" widescreen display (a very, very nice one)
          2. Full keyboard including keypad
          3. Scroll bar next to touchpad (similar to scroll wheel on a mouse, once you have this, not having a scroll bar just won't do)
          4. GeForce 7150 built-in, keeps your gaming options open

The laptop also has just about every imaginable option built in:

- Built-in wireless adapter
          - Has a built-in webcam (including a light, LOL!)
          - Has a built-in microphone
          - DUAL MONITOR capability <---- no shit :d :d :d
          - Every USB, ethernet, TV out and whatever miscellaneous ports you can think of
          - Comes with headphones (well, actually they are earbuds ... what do you call those?)
          - Has a lightscribe DVD-ROM burner (lightscribe is where it will laser ingrave an image onto the DVD surface)

The RAM and hard drive capacities are pretty good too. I think it's 2GB RAM and 250 GB hard drive.

Comment

Get a laptop with 5GB RAM You need all the memory you can muster when compiling code and scripting html

Comment

Ha ha.. I agree with this!! Love my Toshiba, Hate HP and Dell and I really really hate Vista!!! Up that Ram and look for a good battery! Having a huge hard drive is actually a P.I.T.A. Just means it takes longer to clean, defrag, and scan. With Jump Drives you don't need a huge hard drive anymore. I haven't had a HP laptop but I've had HP desktops. Never know when your going to get a bad apple.. I say up the Ram but mine works fine with what it came with which isn't much. It's an older machine and I multi-task like crazy. Let us know what you settle with..

Originally posted by Yellow No. 5 View Post
              I'd make sure to get a core 2 duo, from a respectable manufacturer with a 17" screen, and decent ram, hd, hard drive. Then job 1 would be remove vista and install xp.

www.Net-Tyme.com
              Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
              Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

I've never had problems with Dells in the past... don't know why everyone says they are no good. I've only had to call tech support about 3 or 4 times total in 5 or 6 years. (I'm speaking of desktops, never owned a Dell laptop, just use one at work).

I know others who like HP laptops. Know one person who swears by his Sony Vaio. Other than that I'm clueless heh

Comment

the standard for office laptops is IBM/lenovo. always has been. they're not that bad

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow No. 5 View Post

You Can still get XP on laptops.

Newegg has themList of laptop from newegg

dell as well, you can customize it for xp, but only from the Small buisness section on dell.com

Dell's Cofig

I use Ubutnu 11.04 and Windows 7 on my Computer.

Comment

i hear microsoft won't authorize any more new systems with XP after this summer, or something like that. anyone confirm?

Comment

The HP laptop Baker recommended has an AMD Turion 64 X2 Duo Core processor... will that make a difference vs. an Intel Core 2 Duo processor?
                        Last edited by Solecord; 03-03-2008, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
                          The HP laptop Baker recommended has an AMD Turion 64 X2 Duo Core processor... will that make a difference vs. an Intel Core 2 Duo processor?
                          It does everything I want it to do and does it fast.

The main difference is that with laptops, you can't upgrade the video.

Intel laptops come with those semi-crippled Intel Integrated Media video chips with terrible frames per second, the AMD ones come with Nvidia GeForce built-in.

If you want an Intel with better video built-in, it is going to be a high-end laptop ($2000+). [I know, I looked at everything available at the time to see the options].

My notebook gets higher FPS and video performance than my desktop (desktop = just a GeForce 5200fx but I get 300 FPS in Quake easy) with equivalent video modes and settings.

Maybe Intel CPUs get better performance than AMD, but when it comes to video games the graphics card seems to be much more important.

This is just my experience off of observation, I can't say I have any specialized knowledge of Intel vs. AMD chips, I just know I do all of the usual things like watch DVDs, use Office, play games on my laptop and I'm very satisfied with this notebook computer.

Maybe you will find this link helpful that discusses AMD Turion vs. Intel Core 2 Duo :

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=94312
                          Last edited by Baker; 03-03-2008, 09:31 PM.
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                          X