Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hooking up PC to TV... Audio through TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking up PC to TV... Audio through TV?

I'm hooking up a laptop to an LCD tv. I want to play audio through the TV speakers and not the laptop. What kinda cable to I need to do this? Anyone?

If your TV has an optical port, SPDIF -> Optical. This is also "stero" or HD / Hi Fi whatever you want to call it.

I currently use an spdif -> optical with my logitech z-5500, which I would recommend getting over your TV speakers. It would shit on them.

If you have the money and dont have shared walls with neighbors, this is the #1 system for computers

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-THX-C...8368324&sr=8-1

Also it plugs into both TVs and laptops, so you can enjoy both in HD. 96 / 24 sampling.

Comment

If your TV has the RCA red+white plugs, then use a 1/8th stereo to RCA stereo cable, available at Radio Shack and possibly Best Buy. Use the headphone plug (the 1/8th) on the laptop.

If your TV has an input plug that's the same as the headphone, then use a 1/8th to 1/8th cable.

Comment

I have an older SONY TV set into my bedroom - year 2000 - and my PC is from late 2004 - when I built it. Therefore, my video card and TV accept an S-Video cable to connect to the TV.

It worked fine after a while and one day, when I powered my TV the image was all blown up and no matter what I did into the video properties of my video card nothing would bring it back to the way it was.

Let me mention as well that when I first got this cable installation was a snap. I connected both ends with the cable, computer - TV, went into video card properties and enabled the 2nd display, which was TV.

Any insight as to why the image broke?

I did buy that cable used. The box was open at Best Buy and it was the one available.

Can a cable go defect? That is highly unlikely. A cable is a cable, yet I did not touch any settings on my PC either since I made it work.

I am thinking of changing the cable.

Changing my video card is changing my whole PC as everything is related and it is not time for that now.

I continue to be puzzled by this.
        Last edited by Paradise; 04-17-2008, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zop View Post
          If your TV has the RCA red+white plugs, then use a 1/8th stereo to RCA stereo cable, available at Radio Shack and possibly Best Buy. Use the headphone plug (the 1/8th) on the laptop.

If your TV has an input plug that's the same as the headphone, then use a 1/8th to 1/8th cable.
          what he said

Comment

optical is better, if you have the option, do it.

Comment

Z-5500 are good speakers but I would never pay $200 for speakers. =_=
              e|------------------------0---------------
              B|---------------0^1----------------1----
              G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
              D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
              A|---------------0------------------------
              E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
                Z-5500 are good speakers but I would never pay $200 for speakers. =_=
                are you crazy dude? $200 is NOTHING for an entire system with digitial capabilities to hook up to the computer and TV. the whole point of the z-5500 is how dirt cheap it is for the quality you get.

do you have any idea how much car systems costs? $200 wont buy you even a good amplifier. the amp running my sub is $400 alone.

Comment

omicron isnt lieing ;O getting good audio by itself,excluding good video quality (which costs even more...:x) is not cheap by any standards. over 5 years ago I fried my pioneer home theatre, and when I replaced the reciever <-my current reciever.
                  , it cost me waay more than 200bucks , try like nearly 500 in a bestbuy or circuitcity, I cant recall where I bought it... I havent replaced my surround sound speakers yet either,which are gonna run me empty wallet/pockets when I do, because they will all have to be 100watts each or else im back at square one...

Technics 500watt reciever : $499 (has dolby,and all that riffraff,including optical)
                  12band EQ +12/-12db : $100
                  2x Pioneer 600watt 12" subs to replace blown 15" factory subs : $100-$250
                  2x Competition Tweeters for highs and mids.. FREE,yay go me..
                  Custom enclosure for subs : $75-$100
                  highgrade Gold RCA jacks,Speaker wiring,stereo to composite Y-cable,videocard(s) supporting TV-Out, all cost me,again..~~!!!!
                  I've bought these things over the years,so the cost hasnt been immediately felt all at once.

$200 dollars for a sound system is a steal..!!
                  ps : Omicron , you said the amp running my "Sub" , your only running one??
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                    omicron isnt lieing ;O getting good audio by itself,excluding good video quality (which costs even more...:x) is not cheap by any standards. over 5 years ago I fried my pioneer home theatre, and when I replaced the reciever <-my current reciever.
                    , it cost me waay more than 200bucks , try like nearly 500 in a bestbuy or circuitcity, I cant recall where I bought it... I havent replaced my surround sound speakers yet either,which are gonna run me empty wallet/pockets when I do, because they will all have to be 100watts each or else im back at square one...

Technics 500watt reciever : $499 (has dolby,and all that riffraff,including optical)
                    12band EQ +12/-12db : $100
                    2x Pioneer 600watt 12" subs to replace blown 15" factory subs : $100-$250
                    2x Competition Tweeters for highs and mids.. FREE,yay go me..
                    Custom enclosure for subs : $75-$100
                    highgrade Gold RCA jacks,Speaker wiring,stereo to composite Y-cable,videocard(s) supporting TV-Out, all cost me,again..~~!!!!
                    I've bought these things over the years,so the cost hasnt been immediately felt all at once.

$200 dollars for a sound system is a steal..!!
                    ps : Omicron , you said the amp running my "Sub" , your only running one??
                    Idmax 12" in my car, running on a Zapco AG 750. It's more than enough for me. I've also got Hertz MLK 165s powered by a Kicker zx 850.2. The midbass I have in my car could knock someone unconscious, and the lows are clean.

Comment

Working...
                    X