How long before it kills someone?
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

The article is missing information.

Did the owner fall asleep with the console on? Was he playing it? Was it extremely hot into the house? Did it short circuit?

How did the fire happen? They say it came from the power supply, yet the circumstances are not revealed.

I have a 360 for 2 years now and it works fine when I seldomly use it.

If it breaks, I am not buying another one. I want a Blu-Ray player and I will buy a PS3 instead. HD-DVD will soon be dead.

At the time when I bought it, it was the PS3 craze with it being extremely scarce, expensive and problematic - I do not buy 1st generation consoles - I wait until they smooth all the issues out and the price goes down.
    Last edited by Paradise; 04-19-2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

1. Fall asleep with the console on
      I fell asleep with my PS2 on and it didn't catch on fire.

2. Hot inside the house
      Microsoft knows people who live in very hot countries will be buying thier console.

3. I doubt it would catch fire if it was off. :p

4. If the Xbox short-circuted, that's a problem with the Xbox.

Comment

People must have the common sense to realize that consoles must be treated as what they are - computers.

They must be operated into cool temperatures, low-humidity and wide ventilated places.

The issue is that the owners are mostly kids who never read the manuals and treat their console into the worst ways - being un-aware that it is into fact a piece of fragile high-tech electronic equiment and not a toy to be kicked around as a football.

Into fact consoles are prone to over-heating more than computers hence their size and all the hardware crammed into them to make them intentionally smaller.

Comment

Microsoft isn't stupid, they know the consoles will be run in hot environments (you don't have to be near the equator to see 100F+ temps).

Who kicks thier 360 like a football and expects it to work afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradise View Post
            The issue is that the owners are mostly kids who never read the manuals and treat their console into the worst ways - being un-aware that it is into fact a piece of fragile high-tech electronic equiment and not a toy to be kicked around as a football.
            How many kids do you know who can shell out $600 for an Xbox360?

I dout the console that caught their house on fire was being "kicked around"

Microsoft claimed 1 in 10,000 units of the newish game machines might have this issue.

Obviously this was a defective power cord.

I own a Xbox360, I've had it for sometime, they get hot. They have problems just like most other byte crunching devices. I've also owned a PS3 which I bought on its launch day then returned it the next day dew to its complete lack of entertainment purpose which is GAMES. The PS3 got even hotter then my Xbox360 ever did and I wasn't even running the cd-drive on it. It is just a power hungry device, just like the 360. Shit happens and its not always the owners fault, hence why Microsoft is getting sued.

I also notice 80% of the stores I go into have their PS3 turned off, because its broke. But I'm not blaming the person who plans on bying the PS3. on top of that Microsoft AND Sony are known for releasing software/devices that need major updating as the product goes down the time line. I plan on buying a PS3 for only three reasons, Final Fantasy XIII, MGS4 & Little Big Planet. Other then that I've had some real fun on my Xbox360.

Xbox360 burning a house down.
            Neglectful user? Very possible
            Defective Hardware? Absolutely.

I can almost guarantee you that if I kicked my Xbox360 around it wouldn't get a wild revengeful hair up its ass and start a grease fire just to spite me. It would probably short out if anything and cease to work.
            QuakeOne.com
            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              I can almost guarantee you that if I kicked my Xbox360 around it wouldn't get a wild revengeful hair up its ass and start a grease fire just to spite me.

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              How many kids do you know who can shell out $600 for an Xbox360?
              Define kids. So many people at high school are talking about Halo 3 or some other game for the 360. Either they got it for Christmas or thier Birthday cause they are fortunate enough, or they have a job and saved up like mad for one. But it's not $600 anymore either.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16868105004
              About $300 shipped from the Egg, core system.

Comment

I've got an xbox......no issues and i leave mine on for 6 hours...see if people were smart you can set this thing up after 6 hours inactivity the xbox shuts down.
                This body holding me,reminds me of my own mortality.
                Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal,all this pain is an illusion.

Comment

6 hours inactivity? Why so long? If I knew I was going somewhere I think I would shut it off before I left. It would be half an hour for me.

Comment

Umm, the answers are pretty obvious.

The kids get money from their parents into forms of allowance which add up over time if unspent - those are the wiser kids. The console gets bought by the parents into other cases.

Certainly they kick it. Stupid immature kids get mad when losing and they kick the console and fling the controller around into anger.

Kicking the console will not start the fire, it will attribute to its breakage, that is for certain, which severely cuts into the life of the console.

Certainly Microsoft knows about operating the console into hot environments yet it continues to go belly up. Knowing is not enough, applying matters. And applying costs too much for them, therefore they can not do it. They can not change the design of the product now, after it is released.

Those are the points I made.

And PS3 is SONY, it can not be that bad. Those issues you described are possible at launch date, not now. All SONY products I own operate flawlessly, that is of course as I treat them with utmost respect.

Comment

I haven't owned a console since the PS2, and that was the first year it came out. I'm not a console gamer, but if I had to choose a next-gen console, it would be the xbox 360.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Paradise View Post
                          All SONY products I own operate flawlessly, that is of course as I treat them with utmost respect.
                          Obviously, if you walk on egg shells around your stuff it will ensure it lasts as long as it possibly can, except on the defective devices.

What Sony products are you referring to?

Nothing manmade is flawless btw. Everything made by human beings carries with it a blueprint for its own destruction.
                          Last edited by Phenom; 04-20-2008, 12:16 PM.
                          QuakeOne.com
                          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I do protect my stuff as eggshells. I handle them with a comfortable grip with the right amount of force - not too hard and not too soft - and I am extremely coordinated.

I have all these SONY devices and they continue to work. A walkman (1990), a portable CD-player (1995), a CRT monitor (1991), a TV (1992), another newer TV (2000), my latest TV - LCD flatscreen (2007), a complete sound system (1995), 2 DVD and 2 VCR players (2000).

As you can see I have a lot since a long time, and I never had any issues with them ever.

I can go as far to say that I trust everything Japanese made then everything after. The Japanese are Number 1 and they really have the electronics manufacturing down, extremely high quality and extremely long lasting life span of their expertly crafted products.

Comment

I personally like Sony stuff as well. I've bought products from other manufacturers and they just don't last as long or seem like they have less quality to them.

I got a PS3 and love it. I'm not a big console player... every once in awhile I'll play an RPG or a sports game (just this morning I played Oblivion for a couple hours). Aside from the games though, the BlueRay player is great. Plus Sony announced when they make updates for the BlueRay, the PS3 will be able to be updated but the first gen standalone players will not be.

I'm quite happy with my PS3.

Comment

Working...
                              X