Grand Theft Auto IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Theft Auto IV

Has anyone purchased GTA? Is it living up to all the hype, or should I wait till it is being resold as used and save a few bucks?

Originally posted by pr0gam3r1970 View Post
    Has anyone purchased GTA? Is it living up to all the hype, or should I wait till it is being resold as used and save a few bucks?
    GTA IV (xbox360) in a nutshell.

GTA1+GTA2London+GTALC+GTAVC+GTASA+GTASA:MP= GTA IV.

You can call cabs, weapons and 911 for backup just to hit the tip of the ice berg and thats just literally the beginning
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I played Vice City and San Andreas and I liked none of them.

Better graphics same crapola.

The formula is the same for the next installment of GTA. The graphics will be better of course, is that not the case with each progressive sequel, while retaining the same formula?

Do you not wish that you can play GTA the way you play Quake. For once, I want to blast my way through a city with an RL causing mass havoc and blasting cars around into a city atmosphere, killing the bad guys of course into all creative ways possible using all the destructible environments and objects of the game-world. If you kill innocents you get demerits. What an excellent way to train your reflexes!

Can not a game be made this way? Geez, designers get a clue! Nobody wants to complete boring repetitive mission objectives and listen to all that fake melodramatic blabber "gangsta" drama, we want to blow stuff up, FPS style with less talk and more action.

It will take Duke Nukem Forever to make that genre popular. And it is taking FOREVER for it to come out, irony there. Thankfully, it will and I will have my fantasies fulfilled. A real ultra kick-butt FPS into a real OUTSIDE world atmosphere with no restrictions save for hardware limitations, now that is what I call an unrelentless ALL ACTION FEST

And think further ahead of that becoming a MP experience.
      Last edited by Paradise; 05-02-2008, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradise View Post

The formula is the same for the next installment of GTA. The graphics will be better of course, is that not the case with each progressive sequel, while retaining the same formula?
        True to a point.

Do you not wish that you can play GTA the way you play Quake.
        In GTA IV you can.

For once, I want to blast my way through a city with an RL causing mass havoc and blasting cars around into a city atmosphere, killing the bad guys of course into all creative ways possible using all the destructible environments and objects of the game-world. If you kill innocents you get demerits. What an excellent way to train your reflexes!
        in GTA IV, you do.

Can not a game be made this way? Geez, designers get a clue! Nobody wants to complete boring repetitive mission objectives and listen to all that fake melodramatic blabber "gangsta" drama, we want to blow stuff up, FPS style with less talk and more action.
        This is why the clueless programmers programmed the X button to skip scenes.

It will take Duke Nukem Forever to make that genre popular. And it is taking FOREVER for it to come out, irony there. Thankfully, it will and I will have my fantasies fulfilled. A real ultra kick-butt FPS into a real OUTSIDE world atmosphere with no restrictions save for hardware limitations, now that is what I call an unrelentless ALL ACTION FEST

FUCK DUKE NUKEM FOREVER.

GTA IV is all about relationships and how well you can interact with other NPC's. Its also about coming up in a new country as compared to being supressed in a foreign country.

So far in GTA IV I have witnessed...

Cops actually chasing other NPC's when they commit crimes (and they do commit crimes now)

You can call cabs to get a lift they cost money based on the distance to your next location, somewhat like a real cab , or you can call up your cousin Ramon who will send a black cab from his cab business which costs you nothing. All cabs have the feature of the driver actually driving you to your location which you can sit back and enjoy the ride, use your cellphone, call up friends, set up a date with with, then go to the strip club or whatever you want. You can also skip the ride by pressing a button. You can actually whistle to flag down cabs.

Theres many mini-games including, Pool, Dart, Racing, Arcade games, bowling and racing. I haven't found all the mini-games yet however.

The atmosphere is well over detailed, every nook and cranny has a unique feel to it. Theres a weather system, day and night, if you go to sleep at your safehouse 6 game hours will pass, if you had a date and slept through it, your friend will be pissed, literally. If you go to a PAY'N'SPRAY, 1 game hour will pass. Theres a sense of urgency when your date calls you want wants you to pick him/her up within an hour and you are halfway across town. You can also call your friend back and call off the date if you won't be able to make it.

Theres an actual toll booth on large bridges which you must pay $1 to use the turnpike.

If you call 911 on your cellphone (Yes you have a cellphone) cops will come to your location and if they see any crime happening they suppress it. This is useful when you are in a firefight and want some backup. You can also call up a friend (Little Jacob) and he will deliver weapons to your location.

Theres Internet Cafe's where you can use the internet, check your mail, browse for cars to buy, online dating, ring tones, spam etc.

You can walk up to a bum, give him some money, turn around and punch another bum in the face and the bum you helped out will have your back. (I've read this one, never done it yet)

Hookers & Hot Coffee.

Please Paradise, before you go making assumptions about video games you should atleast read about them

GTA IV fills quite a lot of different game genre's. What I have listed above is still only a small chunk of the interactivity that the world of GTA IV has.

Theres also online play which has a bunch of different modes you can play with up to 16 players.

Don't get me wrong however.

The game isn't PERFECT, but the few bugs it has like any other game is minuscule compared to the brilliance that went into GTA IV.
        Last edited by Phenom; 05-02-2008, 05:39 PM.
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Comment

Apparently GTA IV doesn't appeal to some. Nevertheless, it's an excellent game and I have no doubt in my mind it's the game of the year just from seeing and reading some of it.

I don't have an xbox 360, so I'm waiting for it to come out for Windows.

Not all games have to be first person shooter Quake style to be enjoyable. In fact I'm also looking forward to Alone in the Dark, which is set for release June 20th. It's gonna kick ass.

Comment

Do you not wish that you can play GTA the way you play Quake. For once, I want to blast my way through a city with an RL causing mass havoc and blasting cars around into a city atmosphere, killing the bad guys of course into all creative ways possible using all the destructible environments and objects of the game-world. If you kill innocents you get demerits. What an excellent way to train your reflexes!

Mercenaries for PS2 or Xbox (non 360)
            e|------------------------0---------------
            B|---------------0^1----------------1----
            G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
            D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
            A|---------------0------------------------
            E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I do not care to do all that.

Duke Nukem Forever.

When it will come out.

I gave GTA two chances, VC and SA, it will not get a third with IV.

If you want to do all that Phenom, simply get a life and go outside.

The rest of your post is rambling flame and you never changed and I am not interested into arguing with you.

Pertaining to the game being discussed, I knew all that. It is basicly the same you do into the prequels, just more evolved.

You can not go Quake style with IV, that is a dumb and false statement. It is a mission based game, not a free-for-all shootout with no restrictions - GTA was never about that.

I played other games besides FPS, therefore I know. If the GTA's would be made into FPS it would be much more successfull, the first company that does that will rack into billions.

Soon this game will be forgotten as the prequels before it for its ridiculousness and pointless missions.

I, for one, played a little into SA and I was disgusted with the game. The amount of stupidity and stereotyping is paramount. It was the most tasteless game I ever played and I felt ashamed for my own race for RockStar to release such indescribable and insulting garbage.

GTA sucks it always did and it always will. I played both previous sequels half-way before finally giving up into tastelessness and boredom.

VC was slighty better with the Italians. The whole black theme of SA made me destroy the whole game and throw it into the trash where it belongs. I could not even give it away to anybody as that embaressment of the experience will be reflected onto me.

I am never buying another RS product ever after SA.

DNF.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29074.html

And that was really low for you to curse the game out. Curse yourself out and play that idiot's game - it fits you perfectly. I will be into DNF, biatchhh!
              Last edited by Paradise; 05-03-2008, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Postal 2 is a much more entertaining alternative and it came out 5 years ago. It is also much cheaper.

http://www.runningwithscissors.com/p...creenshots.php

Comment

Paradise, do you even remember playing Duke3d? Do you remember the crap you seen in that game? Yet you call GTA tasteless.

did you ever figure out in Duke Nukem that you could pay/kill hookers. I also believe you could drive a vehicle at one point.

What makes you think Duke Nukem forever will bring anything new to the table? The game isn't even set for a release date, its still a giant idea. Not even a demo. I've watched all the tech videos for DNF. I'm not impressed because theres no release date, it could be in 2012 for all I know, by then 2nd Next-Gen consoles will be sturring up. PS4 & Xbox 720 to name a few.

If you don't like in depth game play Paradise, then maybe you need to stick to the simple 2 button shooting games where you can aim and shoot your weapon, it seems you can't get past the idea that a video game actually has some true depth to it instead of running around as Duke Nukem, saying stupid catch phrases and blowing stuff up. You contradict yourself when you say "GTA is all the same, but Duke Nukem Forever is something new" Of course its something new. Its a new game, same story.

I don't know where you get your undying love from Duke Nukem to actually try and tell me off over your sick fetish with a game. I was pointing out what myself and millions of other gamers have already stated, GTA IV is here and its worth the money and it does kick ass. What can you say about DNF? You can say you watched a video of Duke Nukem lifting weights. I believe DNF will flop because the producer thinks the name Duke Nukem will sell, and they are right, it will sell, but will it make it a great game?

I'll leave you to go daydream about your game DNF It will be a long time before you see a demo, if they don't scratch the whole idea AGAIN! haha

<3
                  Last edited by Phenom; 05-03-2008, 03:44 PM.
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Comment

You shouldn't be posting here Paradise, you are only giving your half-cocked impression on a game you didn't take time to complete.

Let people who know much more about the subject give their ideas, you are falsely accusing GTA IV of being exactly like GTA LC & GTA SA, atleast R* doesn't keep bringing the same old broken character back into their sequels like in DNF... Shouldn't Duke be like 50 by now? lol

Please don't talk if you don't know what you're talking about, This is GTA IV Discussion, not GTA VC or GTA LC.

Thanks!
                    QuakeOne.com
                    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                    Great Quake engine

Comment

I, for one, played a little into SA and I was disgusted with the game. The amount of stupidity and stereotyping is paramount. It was the most tasteless game I ever played and I felt ashamed for my own race for RockStar to release such indescribable and insulting garbage.

GTA sucks it always did and it always will. I played both previous sequels half-way before finally giving up into tastelessness and boredom.

VC was slighty better with the Italians. The whole black theme of SA made me destroy the whole game and throw it into the trash where it belongs. I could not even give it away to anybody as that embaressment of the experience will be reflected onto me.

I am never buying another RS product ever after SA.
                      So your saying it's okay for Rockstar to stereotype the Italians in a mafia style, but not when they stereotype the blacks and they're gang involvment?

Why do you think SA is an embarrassment to blacks? Come on, that's just BS. Maybe I should feel embarrassed that VC had Italians murdering each other in it. But I don't, because I don't let those things get to me, and I don't think that was the message Rockstar was trying to send.

Playing GTA3, VC, and SA, my vote goes to SA as the best, not because of the black on black violence. Because it expands so much more in the previous games, while still being a blast to play.

If SA bothered you, I can't imagine how your going to feel when they release Resident Evil 5. A white guy shooting, beating, and killing hundreds of black zombies. I know lots of people are already putting the race card on that game.

And yet, when they released The House of the Dead 2, which is set completely in Italy, involving all Italian zombies that need to be shot and killed, how many Italians thought that was racist?

None I'm sure. Especially not me.

You really need to set aside these racial issues and just enjoy the games as they are.

Comment

You can not go Quake style with IV, that is a dumb and false statement. It is a mission based game, not a free-for-all shootout with no restrictions - GTA was never about that.
                        You are completely wrong in this statement.

Obliviously GTA IV isn't Quake, if you want Quake, then play it.

GTA IV does however offer multilayer with many game mods some including FREE FOR ALL, TEAM DEATHMATCH, MAFIA WORK, just to name a few.

Your weapons range from fists, bats, Shotguns, smg's, grenades, rocket launchers, Molotov, with a few more I don't feel like mentioning.

How can you make an statement on something you know nothing about? Don't be cheap, if you are going to discuss something go out, buy the game, play it, then feel free to come back and tell me GTA IV wasn't worth your money.

And ORL is right, You are sounding very militant on a subject which you have little to no information to give. If you don't like to see black 3d characters killing white 3d characters or whatever mix you want to think of because you think its racist.

Aren't you Dominican anyways? lol what would you care if theres a 3d character blowing up another 3d character thats a different color. How do you think the demonic aliens feel when they play Duke Nukem? I'm sure they really give a fuck. Wake up, the only reason racism exists if because people like you won't let it go.

You see one type of color person killing another type and you pull out the Race of Spades card quick.

Maybe there should be a game where you have to kill a certain number of people from a different race equally, so no one(you) gets their feelings hurt.

I don't look at games as real life, I certainly know that I would prefer more then just 2 simple actions for any other game except Quake 1. I bought an Xbox 360 because its a next-gen console, not because I wanted simplicity.

GTA IV has one of THE MOST interactive atmospheres I have ever seen in any simulation & Video Game. I don't think about the color of the person standing in front of me. I spend my time learning how to interact with the game. I spent $80 on the Special Edition so Unlike some people I'm taking my time to truly admire what the programmers put into this game. Its without a dout a must have if you enjoy any of the other GTA games.

The city is broken up into 3 main islands and a smaller island located to the north.

There isn't any countryside or beaches as seen in San Andreas, instead its 100% city which is really awesome as it feels they didn't add a beach or a desert just to make the world feel bigger, the world of GTA IV is HUGE!

There are no loading screens when you are out and about running around freely.

Oh ya I might as well mention, if you are speeding and you hit something you will more then likely fly through your front windshield =] I accidentally crashed once and went flying through my window and flew right into an oncoming ambulance's grill, which killed me

Anyway, GTA IV is in stores now, go pick up a copy! The Special Edition just comes with CD-soundtrack, duffle bag with the R* logo on it and golden interior with the R8 logo tiled, Art book, and everything comes in a GTA IV logo's safe deposit box =]

I'm thoroughly enjoying this game.

Don't let your complete jackass mentality and
                        QuakeOne.com
                        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                        Great Quake engine

Comment

Phenom, you always make huge errors of judgement.

You think everything is about you and you think my disagreement is a flame war directed at you.

Both are totally false.

Let me ask you another question, sir. If you get disappointed by 2 games into a row from the same company, would you go and purchase the 3rd with the false impression that it will get better? Only a sucker would do that, make a company rich by buying and wanting the experience to get better and better when it clearly did not, it is called self-denial and it costs money.

If you enjoyed all the GTA's then fine. I did not.

IV is GTA and all the previous games have the right to be discussed here as well, since they are part of the GTA universe.

VC was okay, the Italians theme was mild compared to the black theme of SA. It is not about the killing that bothers me. It is about the presentation, dialogue and stereotyped ghettoness of SA that bothered me.

I do not want to sound racist, what did those white fool programmers know about black culture when they made that game. Everything out of SA is from movies and music, mainly gangsta rap music, black violence music and 2Pac - I do not know how to spell his name since rap never interested me.

They got advice and they never learned how it is. Have they every dealt with poverty and projects and life of the streets to truly know what it is like. The whole SA is a shameful parody aimed at poking fun at blacks.

The dialogue of Italian theme is decent, yet the black dialogue irritated me beyond comprehension, nobody talks that way anymore.

And you better think twice about calling me a racist, my husband is white, therefore you are totally wrong again. How can I be racist and marry a white man, that does not make sense, lol.

D3D was a blast and I played it WAY MORE than Quake back into the day. I always fantasized that DNF would play as Quake.

D3D world was flat, yet its interactivity was way beyond Quake's. Quake had true 3 dimensional maps with multiple floor levels - as to say - yet you did nothing else then shoot mosters over and over again, no interactivity. Back then, technologically the computer could not handle both.

I dream of a game that has both and it takes places both outside and inside.

GTA is great for that, I want to shoot baddies Quake style into First Person Point of View, set up traps with destructible world objects and go into buildings as well and snipe players onto the beach, jump into cars, etc.. Make GTA a FPS, I am going to write RS to make it that game, I am not interested into completing missions. And yes it is nice to be rewarded with a cut-scene everytime you complete a level.

Now with present computing technology it can be made, that is all that I am saying about DNF, it will be truly 3D, SP and MP.

Do not turn every discussion into a personal attack and throw insults, that is extremely foolish of you.

The proper use of the forum is to discuss gaming issues maturely, if you can not handle being beaten into an argument do not post. Otherwise, offer constructive and logical facts supporting your oppinion.

And FYI I am 1/2 blk and 1/2 Dominican, I must have said that a million times yet it never got through that fat, thick and shaved head of yours, lol.

And I have played tons of games and I have tons of game knowledge.

Without looking it up, tell me honestly, information about this extremely popular game from the past.

Title: Monkey Island.
                          Developer: ?
                          Year it was released: ?
                          Interface type version: ?
                          Size into MB of game onto disk: ?
                          Graphics Output: ?
                          Input device used to play: ?
                          Main character's name: ?
                          His intended occupation: ?
                          Love interest: ?
                          Main villan: ?
                          Number of disks and type it comes onto: ?

The "?" are for you to fill out, given the clue of the game. Do not cheat and look it up onto the web, God sees you.
                          Last edited by Paradise; 05-03-2008, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Do not turn every discussion into a personal attack and throw insults, that is extremely foolish of you.
                            Obey what you preach.

And FYI I am 1/2 blk and 1/2 Dominican, I must have said that a million times yet it never got through that fat, thick and shaved head of yours, lol.
                            SShhhh.

&

I never played Monkey Island. Why would I want to know anything about that game.

Are you trying to call me stupid for not playing a game that doesn't interest me?

I'm through with this discussion Paradise. Look somewhere else to trash up. You have derailed this thread and you have already been banned & warned before for your meandering senseless talk. Get a hint.
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Comment

You always insult me first. I fail to see why you continue to do this ALL the time about EVERYTHING I have to say unrelated to you.

You said I do not know what I am talking about. Yet I posses more game knowledge than you and that is a classic game that you SHOULD know about. And it is very enjoyable and it goes against your statment of me that I play only simple minded games. You failed my test and I proved you wrong, once again for the millionth time.

When I said I want to play an FPS outside into an destructible environment you kept telling me to go play Quake. There other games besides Quake that possess a similar nature, yet none hit the nail as DNF will, based onto how D3D was.

The whole point of my thread was that GTA is nothing to get hyped about - and if it was made into a FPS - my preferrence - that will be great, a point you sorely missed and you turned it around with the purpose to unnecessarily attack me.

This is my belief and you do not have to keep arguing it if you do not agree with it.

I said before I am not interested into arguing, I am presenting my opinion without having anything to do PERSONALLY with you, STOP taking it personally everything and everytime I say something. I am not your wife, Mr. Clean, lol, and I fail to understand why you ever care this much about what I have to say.

I am beginning to think you have an unhealthy obsession with me and you follow me around arguing about everything I have to say.

For what purpose, I do not know. I am married and I am not interested, and if you want to gain my attention this is not the way to do it - by incessantly annoying me.

Being a kind "game" friend works much better.
                              Last edited by Paradise; 05-03-2008, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X