• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's better? quake one, or quake 2?

I Vote Quake One.

quakeone.com is best

Comment

Quake 2 was slightly innovative and had better graphics.

I vote Quake 1

Don't fix it if it isn't broken.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Be open minded and play all Quakes.

All the games coming out from the geniuses at id deserve attention and play, do not let one slip by. I have all of them and I enjoy them each into a different way into which they were crafted and meant to be played.

Of course, everybody has preferences and you can play more of one than another if you find yourself that you enjoy it more. But really, everything is a sequel and continuation, if you think of it, Quake is another vision of Doom, with 360 degree gameplay, better graphics and of course all the other obvious technological improvements.

Welcome to the site.

Comment

this is an invalid poll--by choosing to post it in the quake 1 community, you've already selected the reply you'll receive

Comment

quake1 cos:

-original gun and ammos

-cool and funny monsters

-and awsome sound

-and a story line i know and understand

but there was one thing in quake 2 i liked; when the weak grunt guys saw you they made a funny sound like "cruger!!" lol

Comment

Quake one because : Its a classic. its a very fun game, and... The graphics are original. Plus the mods are cooler

Comment

Quake 2 was a singleplayer favorite on my K6-II machine but Quake 1 is better for multiplayer.
                e|------------------------0---------------
                B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                A|---------------0------------------------
                E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Q2 was trash,

Q1,Q3,Q4>Q2

I havent played Quakewars yet,but its probably something to the effect of Q4,all graphics no gameplay.

Q1 kept it simple, go find a key or two , kill some monsters,maybe push a button here and there,find some secrets on the way.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Quake 2 Digital Paintball owns you.
                    This body holding me,reminds me of my own mortality.
                    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal,all this pain is an illusion.

Comment

The laser tripwires on the Q2 mod Weapons of Destruction own! But I didn't like how the multiplayer was always a little choppy.

As I always said, if you want some badass multiplayer, play Q1, but if you want a great singleplayer game, play Q2.

Comment

I'd rather Quake 1, it brings me a much more Old skool experience.

Comment

I like both, but my love for Q2 is increasing. The Reckoning (Q2 mission pack) is what I prefer for singleplayer atm. It's got better level design than stock Q2 and some neat additions, like Maidens with homing rockets, laser grunts, some monsters got pimped with energy shields, and the cool Ion Ripper weapon.

Q2 has a more laid-back feel, since the weapon cycle/reload is slower and there is no Q1 style bunnyhopping. There are also little objectives, a little story that's slightly more focused than Q1's "oh no monsters are everywhere" and the palette isn't just brown. It has more items than Quake, like stimpacks, adrenaline, bandoleer/backpack, power armor, armor shards, hand grenades... Quads etc. go into your inventory and can be used at will... Monsters have better animation (they're still stupid of course) and the weapons are more balanced.

It's more laid back, which I personally like, and you get more gadgets and a little story, a bit like a console game. It feels a bit like Doom 2 minus the "hell stuff".

Technically, Q2 has light-emitting textures and radiosity based lighting, which are pretty hard to emulate in Q1. Q2 also has proper rotating entities, plus breakables, glass, barrels (another thing from Doom) and the whole lot.

Quake shines in the Lovecraftian/ fantasy / medieval settings. Q2 doesn't have the monsters or textures for that, it's pretty much base and industrial only. It can do those very well though (in the mission packs at least.)

Quake has some very cool monsters like ogres and hell knights, which are fast and have killer melee attacks as well as grenades/missiles. Q2 monsters seem a bit slower, with a preference for ranged attacks, while being slightly tougher in terms of HP. Most of them don't really want to get in your face like the Quake baddies. So it's often desirable to get up close with the super shotgun instead of strafing around.

Q2 has some really kickass bots. 3zb2 and Gladiator come to mind. I never play against bots in Quake (boring IMO) but like to in Q2. In multiplayer, there's the same one-map-syndrome as in Quake. Sound triggers (for timing items) are commonly used - press a key when item is taken, get a countdown when it respawns.

In short, they're different (although both are pretty simple shooters). It's a myth that Quake 2 sucks. It's more laid back and more focused at the same time, while Quake is fast and spammy. It has some additional stuff, but that's really only sugar coating on top of a raw shooter.

Since modern Q1 singleplayer maps often reward a cautious playstyle (i.e. the run-in approach is penalized), the gap may be narrowing somewhat. Multiplayer of course is something else, although it's very cool to watch some Q2 multiplayer demos because the players are good.

/ode to Quake 2 :-)
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

I think

is the coolest thing in Q2
                            e|------------------------0---------------
                            B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                            G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                            D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                            A|---------------0------------------------
                            E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I would have to go with Quake.

I could never really get into Quake II when I tried it.

Of course, that was a few years ago, I should install it and give it another go.

Comment

Working...
                              X