Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how the hell can you still play this terrible game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how the hell can you still play this terrible game?

EDIT: Nevermind. Two minutes after typing that out I realized that I don't give a shit why you play it.

I think the politically correct question is, how can you still play a good game with people who make the game feel terrible?

If you thought the game was so bad you wouldn't have played for as long as you did seeing as how you would've sought new options for yourself.

Don't bash the game, understand the community is nearly extinct and the dying breed of players are mostly assholes who talk trash to each other cause they are unhappy in their own lives they have to try and make others miserable.

I just deleted my Quake last night for this same reason due to something in CTF.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
      I think the politically correct question is, how can you still play a good game with people who make the game feel terrible?

If you thought the game was so bad you wouldn't have played for as long as you did seeing as how you would've sought new options for yourself.

Don't bash the game, understand the community is nearly extinct and the dying breed of players are mostly assholes who talk trash to each other cause they are unhappy in their own lives they have to try and make others miserable.

I just deleted my Quake last night for this same reason due to something in CTF.
      Dunno..

I don't think the game is good today. I thought it was good long ago. I just couldn't find any games to waste my time playing. In hindsight, I wish I gave counterstrike more of a chance, to be honest.

Q1 was good because I couldn't run a lot of other games, or because I didn't bother trying any others. But now that I have, I see how shitty quake 1 is in comparison.

Years ago quake was incredible, there's no denying it. But now? No.
      Shitty community
      terrible graphics
      simple, one dimensional gameplay

I don't understand how some of the remaining quakers, who I know have good computers, are still subjecting themselves to this shit, that's all

Comment

Quake loads fast! :d
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by QuadRaptor
          I can't think of a reason NOT to continue playing this game. I don't need all the new features in more recent games like crouching, giving commands to squadmates, backing up against walls, blindfiring, and throwing grenades when I can just blow people up with a rocketlauncher. Newer graphics are nice but I prefer the old pixilated look of the environment this game has. It all comes down to tradition for me.

Say, I think I've made this point/argument/speech before....
          I still stand by this.

Comment

I get 120fps solid on CS:s, it looks good. but kinda (depending on the server), get boring fast. Terrorists camp, anti-terrorists rush to death.
            All games get "done" as players master them. But playing new games, besides the eyecandy its just down to gameplay. Quake still has the gameplay, and will run on more systems than most modern games. We play, (not solely), Quake simply because it's fun. We know the maps, the quirks, the physics etc. It's not an eyecandy physics engine sure, but it still has the basic element of gameplay.
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by QuadRaptor View Post
              I still stand by this.
              Uhm.

Okay.

Can't think of a reason not to continue playing it?

Again:

TERRIBLE graphics
              TERRIBLE community
              ONE DIMENSIONAL gameplay

QuadRaptor is absolutely delusional if he doesn't think Quake (especially) CA has a lot of spamming of grenades and blindfiring. In fact, in all the FPS games I've played in the last year or two (if not ever), quake 1 online, by far, has the most spamming and blindshooting. That's because it's effective. There's no reloading, you can collect mass amounts of rockets, etc.

Just because he doesn't NEED new features doesn't mean new features aren't welcomed, interesting additions to a game.

He doesn't need team commands? I bet quadraptor is an absolutely shitty teammate, then. What are binds? Binds are nothing more than team commands. They've just become BETTER and easier to use now.

I guess I can't say anything about your silly preference to old, dated, ugly graphics, all for the sake of tradition. That, to me, just seems weird. And given that quakers are pretty regularly trying to come out with versions of quake to better the graphics, I have a hard time believing it.

r00k, what is fun about it?

The players do nothing but cheat or talk shit to each other or talk about their drug use. The competition isn't there anymore. You know the maps becuase it's dm3 over, and over, and over again. And then you import other maps from other games and port them into quake one. Or you play maps that are poorly designed.

I still am not understanding here. So you all admit the graphics suck shit, you can't deny the community is practically dead, and the only LEGITIMATE reason you can give for liking this game is familiarity? Hmm.

Comment

I play Quake 1 because I haven't found a better game to waist my time on that has such a time spent to fun obtained ratio.

I can get bored of newer games quick when they want me to stop to do some irrelevant task. I bought Quake because thats what I wanted.

Once a game comes out that can over come Quake's sheer gameplay power, then, maybe I'll switch. Until then Quake1 4 life.
                QuakeOne.com
                Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                  I play Quake 1 because I haven't found a better game to waist my time on that has such a time spent to fun obtained ratio.

I can get bored of newer games quick when they want me to stop to do some irrelevant task. I bought Quake because thats what I wanted.

Once a game comes out that can over come Quake's sheer gameplay power, then, maybe I'll switch. Until then Quake1 4 life.
                  Care to define what "sheer gameplay power" is, or how quake has it while others don't?

Comment

Originally posted by asc View Post
                    Care to define what "sheer gameplay power" is, or how quake has it while others don't?
                    Quake 1 has some of the best pickup and start playing experiences I have ever had. Other games can make you travel up to a whole virtual mile before you even reach an enemy.

Quake 4 is a horrible game to play, it looks nice but the game's gameplay feels like your running around with a sprained knee.

Doom 3 has better gameplay but Doom 3 uses corridors more then it should. which created linear gameplay.

FarCry, looked good, played awesome, but to me its story fell off when they tried to add the whole "monsters" twist.

Battlefield2 & 2142. Slow gameplay.

Every game listed above has a horrible loading time, over used game mechanics, and they can be a horrible experience if you don't have proper drivers installed... Ever seen someone saying this before? "I just installed Doom3 for the 3rd time but I only get a black screen HELP!"

I know I've personally had these issues with atleast half of the games listed above, while I figured them out it still was pain to have to do.

I haven't had a driver issue with Quake 1 since I deleted my opengl32.dll back in 1997
                    Last edited by Phenom; 05-28-2008, 06:15 PM.
                    QuakeOne.com
                    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                    Great Quake engine

Comment

If there were a multiplayer game I liked as much as Quake, I would quit playing Quake.

Many games require some sort of "work together with others" -- I like to do my own thang. Playing team games for me personally is like pulling teeth to me (I don't want to camp to secure an area, for instance -- BOORRING), I'm more of a free-for-all kind of guy.

Other complaints about most newer games go like this:

1) Too much waiting and not enough action or slow pace
                      2) Too much monotony
                      3) Large wide-open levels

I agree with the same map over and over thing and what you said about some of the flaws of they way people act/talk about on the server. These a big negatives and I know I play a lot less as a result.

But those things aren't a characteristic of the game itself.

Bad graphics, sure. Simplistic game play -- well, that might a strength of the game ... poker has simplistic game play but that doesn't stop me from liking it :d

Everything you said is a valid reason not to like Quake. But I guess I'll play 5 bad games of Quake to get 1 great game in. Quake also doesn't require a lot of time commitment.

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                      horrible loading time
                      2-3 minute load times suck!
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Well, I think we've reached a standstill. I can't really agree with you, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me

But thanks for actually replying. In my original post I asked my question seriously, and wasn't meant to troll, like that weird Paradise person assumed.

I guess I'll go play TF2 now. With all it's action, required teamplay, great physics, cute graphics, decent community, etc.

You guys go have fun telling some kid that he sucks after he tells you how high he is.

Comment

Originally posted by asc View Post
                          Well, I think we've reached a standstill. I can't really agree with you, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me

But thanks for actually replying. In my original post I asked my question seriously, and wasn't meant to troll, like that weird Paradise person assumed.

I guess I'll go play TF2 now. With all it's action, required teamplay, great physics, cute graphics, decent community, etc.

You guys go have fun telling some kid that he sucks after he tells you how high he is.
                          Bye
                          QuakeOne.com
                          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                          Great Quake engine

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                            2-3 minute load times suck!
                            YES!!! I hate that too!!

Takes forever to find a game sometimes in Halo or Gears. I love just jumping on a server on Quake - takes, what, about 5 seconds?

Comment

Honestly, for example, quake4 utterly sucks. Talk about a bleak community. Recycled gameplay with less fps only for new blinding/distracting graphics.
                              Most competitive gamers turn down the eyecandy...
                              I was on a quake4 server and the top player out of 12 said "I'm going to Quake2..."

The majority of people still play also because not only do we know the game, we also know the other players. It's a fellowship. ASC i think i remember you, though if im not mistaken you were a good DM player, which was DM6 or DM3. In that regard I see your point, 2 maps dont make much of a game

Some players venture on not because they hate quake1 but they like newer maps, new player challenge, new features etc... heck sometimes I load up a commodore 64 emulator to play some oldtime favs!

Ramp:
                              Hate me for my drunken rants and gripes, not the game. It's true, people have other things to deal with in life. I'm sorry if I pissed you off to the point where you cant enjoy the game for yourself. You've always been boisterous with your enthusiasm and I shouldn't try to piss on your fire

edit: asc?
                              I bet I'm a thousand times better than you at tf2 as soldier

and by "you" I mean anyone here that plays it

That game is stupidly easy

SteamIDs?
                              Hmm sounds like you are going to be bored of that game soon too
                              maybe you should get a pet rat or something to kick around...
                              Last edited by R00k; 05-28-2008, 09:26 PM.
                              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Working...
                              X