Free FTP Server = Awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free FTP Server = Awesome

I have a few different computers and sharing the files has been difficult because they each have a different operating system.

Windows networking, in my opinion, sucks and is fragile. And it doesn't work well when one machine is Windows XP SP1, one machine is Vista, one is Windows 98 and one is Linux.

I used to have a standalone external network hard drive, but the drawback of that was that it required funky stuff running in the background on every computer.

A few weeks ago, I tried to use Microsoft's crappy built-in FTP service on my XP machine and it didn't work.

Finally, I thought maybe there is 3rd party software to do this.

I did some Googling and found Filezilla FTP server and it took like 3 minutes to setup a log-in and now I can share files at 100 Mbps over my LAN without have any sort of fragile setup.

The FTP itself can't be accessed outside my LAN due to my router so it's secure, but if I wanted to I could open up the FTP and be able to access my files remotely.

This isn't exactly new or anything, FTP servers have been around for years, but I hadn't thought of using this for LAN file sharing until all the conventional methods proved to be too difficult or cumbersome for the different machines I have.

The fact that Filezilla is free and open source is that I don't have to worry about it being discontinued (WSFTP LE, Sygate firewall are examples of discontinued free apps) or it containing ad-ware or restrictions or crippling to get me to upgrade to the pay-for-it version like many companies like to do.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...
Working...
X