Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies you saw this year and what you thought of them

The occasional non-Quake thread (where have these been lately??):

Movies you saw this year and what you thought of them ...

Rambo (2008 ) on DVD = very good; watching it made me think of how most movies made today have an over-complicated plot, focus far too much on dialog and human interaction over substance. A lot of realism and stays grounded to avoid the broken "suspension of disbelief" problem.

Batman The Dark Knight - More realistic. I'm sure most people have seen this since it is on track to make $500 domestic in the USA. Because this movie also stayed ground, I thought the effects of fear and terrorism -- especially the idea of the city hospital being destroyed -- made the idea of someone terrorizing a city and the consequences seem real. I really liked the Hong Kong trip.

Get Smart - Left 2/3 of the way through the movie. Had some funny stuff early (The Rock) and then devolved into the "we're making this up as we go along" formulaic "comedy movie" a little less than halfway through.

Wally - Overrated. Well-done aside from the non-subtle "message" (we're polluting the planet) being presented far too strongly.

Incredible Hulk - Boring as hell. Was glad when it was over.

Hancock - First half was pretty outstanding. I didn't really like the plot twist and where they went with the 2nd half.

Iron Man - Good.

It really looks like good movies this year are a lot less than in the past.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    The occasional non-Quake thread (where have these been lately??):

Movies you saw this year and what you thought of them ...

Rambo (2008 ) on DVD = very good; watching it made me think of how most movies made today have an over-complicated plot, focus far too much on dialog and human interaction over substance. A lot of realism and stays grounded to avoid the broken "suspension of disbelief" problem.

Batman The Dark Knight - More realistic. I'm sure most people have seen this since it is on track to make $500 domestic in the USA. Because this movie also stayed ground, I thought the effects of fear and terrorism -- especially the idea of the city hospital being destroyed -- made the idea of someone terrorizing a city and the consequences seem real. I really liked the Hong Kong trip.

Get Smart - Left 2/3 of the way through the movie. Had some funny stuff early (The Rock) and then devolved into the "we're making this up as we go along" formulaic "comedy movie" a little less than halfway through.

Wally - Overrated. Well-done aside from the non-subtle "message" (we're polluting the planet) being presented far too strongly.

Incredible Hulk - Boring as hell. Was glad when it was over.

Hancock - First half was pretty outstanding. I didn't really like the plot twist and where they went with the 2nd half.

Iron Man - Good.

It really looks like good movies this year are a lot less than in the past.
    I watched Rambo and thought it was ludicrous, the straight to action sequel had zero build up or suspense. You rarely felt sorry for the bloodshed any of the Vietnamese citizens were going through. The gore of the film added onto its classlessness, and it was not tastefully done. I love to watch action flicks without having to nitpick every single detail, but the lack of character development attributed to my displeasure with this film.

You couldn't associate yourself with any of the characters, I couldn't differentiate between the mercenaries aside from their features, along with the Christian missionaries. In the prequels Rambo was more cutting edge, he had gorilla warfare in his blood, possessed a street mentality, and was wise with words.

Regardless of how "war torn" Rambo is in this movie, it's rarely believable due to lack of depth in his character.

On another note, Wall-E and Dark Knight were both fucking awesome, the latter being one of the best film's I've ever seen.

Comment

I agree about the Hancock plot twist. They did great with the 1st half though, was laughing a lot.

Step Brother is hilarious at points, but I think Talladega Nights was a better comedic mix with those two actors.

I loved Dark Knight, especially Joker (as everybody else did I'm sure).

On another note, I just finally saw Superbad, and I love it (way late I know).

Good Luck Chuck wasn't a bad movie either, even though it's kind of a love story, Dane Cook kills the role I think.
      uakene.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
        I watched Rambo and thought it was ludicrous, the straight to action sequel had zero build up or suspense. You rarely felt sorry for the bloodshed any of the Vietnamese citizens were going through. The gore of the film added onto its classlessness, and it was not tastefully done. I love to watch action flicks without having to nitpick every single detail, but the lack of character development attributed to my displeasure with this film.
        I probably wouldn't have seen it had it not been for my brother recommending it. Not because the movie wasn't good, but because I feared it would be like the 1980s Rambo movies and/or like Indiana Jones 4 that was a pale shadow of the past movies.

Although you and I have differing opinions on the movie, I thought the build up was good, but I admit I haven't seen any of the old Rambo movies in a long time to be able to make any sort of quality comparison to the past character.

Regardless of how "war torn" Rambo is in this movie, it's rarely believable due to lack of depth in his character.
        Yeah, but if you realize the movie is supposed to be an action movie going in, you know what to expect. But either way, not everyone likes the same movies. I liked the gore.

I guess the way I thought about it was that knowing going in what the type of was (mercenaryish action movie) that I knew what to expect and that it did a better job in the genre with less outlandish stuff and nothing looked fake.

Btw, they were in Burma not Vietnam. Consequentially, the fact Burma's military junta completely botched the international hurricane disaster relief efforts earlier this year seemed sort of timely.

On another note, Wall-E and Dark Knight were both fucking awesome, the latter being one of the best film's I've ever seen.
        Agreed.

Originally posted by Frenzy View Post
        I agree about the Hancock plot twist. They did great with the 1st half though, was laughing a lot.
        Hehe, what a dilemma :d I'm not sure what they could have done with the 2nd half differently, but the first half was great.

The movie Stargate is the example movie I use of a movie where the first half is disproportionally far better than the 2nd half.

Originally posted by Frenzy View Post
        On another note, I just finally saw Superbad, and I love it (way late I know).
        Hehe. I thought it was "ok", but just another American Pie/Saving Silverman/(insert similar plot movie here with Green Day music).
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

To add to the list,

Wanted - First off, you have to into the movie expecting it to be purposely flashy and exaggerated then you can enjoy it. Even then there were a couple parts that I was like "Whaat, thats ridiculous." Overall, I thought it was a great movie because it bends the rules on what is possible and gets you thinking and imagining the possibilities.

Comment

saw pee wees big adventure, it was a really good movie

Comment

Thread +10 points for Bam sighting :d :d

Thread -5 points for PowerZord's PeeWee Herman reference.

Comment

i saw.....ummm..... .. . .. repo man 235143613 times

Comment

Batman Dark Night A+. I'm loven the direction the new Batman films are taking instead of the eyecandy they tried with Batman returns, which seemed gay, or the Batman which had Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl? Seriously fucking lame compared to Dark Night.

Hancock was a good movie but I have to agree with Baker & Frenzy, the 2nd half made me just want to watch the first half, especially near the beginning where Hancock is flying over the freeway and the "Move bitch get out the way" music kicked in, great stuff.

Haven't seen the new Rambo but it kind of sounds interesting. I've been wanting to see Wall-E

Recently I seen Journey to the center of the Earth and was sorely disappointed in the ankle high shallowness of the movie, it had a lot of potential but never really got around to it which made it lame.
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                  Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                    Batman Dark Night A+. I'm loven the direction the new Batman films are taking instead of the eyecandy they tried with Batman returns, which seemed gay, or the Batman which had Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl? Seriously fucking lame compared to Dark Night.
                    In the 1990s, they took the "Oceans 11, 12, 13" approach to making Batman movies where they would have "the stars" (*) be the focus of the movie with bad plots, sound bite style dialog, etc.

The movies generally did well, but the story was lame. I think the last 1990s Batman movie the moral of the story was that "Batman should trust Robin" or something gay like that.

(* Danny Devito, Arnold Arnold Schwarzenegger, George Clooney, Michele Pfiffer, Tommy Lee Jones, Jim Carrey, etc.)

Comment

i gotta see more for sure

I love old skool movies, chinese kung fu old skool, get hi movies, suspense, horror, I loved "Meet the Fockers" crazy shit, 40 year lod virgin was just fucked
                      SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
                      THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BB2 H23A1 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by /)))*StatiC*(((\ View Post
                        get hi movies

Comment

Repo Man is always intense. :

Comment

I don't like spending $9 to see a movie in the theater with other idiots who just sit and talk during the movie, or decide to get up half way through to take a piss. I'd rather just get a DVD and watch it from the comfort of my couch.

So, I may be a bit behind here... I've seen a ton of movies as I'm a Netflix subscriber but just a few that come to mind:

Into The Wild - Pretty good movie, plus an added bonus to have the soundtrack done by Eddie Vedder

Funny Games - Dark movie, a bit different and weird.

There Will Be Blood - I liked the movie up until the end. At first I didn't get the end but after thinking about it and reading comments on imdb I got it. The movie kind of dragged on a bit.

Untraceable - A generic thriller. Was OK.

Comment

I rarely go to the theatre to see a movie, unfortunately I watch movies from the comfort of my bed. I'm currently watching The Karate Kid @ www.hulu.com , a classic

Culture and Debate @
                              I frequent this community and enjoy its hobbies.

Fave movie of 2008 so far has to be Batman DK, the joker's magic trick with the pencil was just awesome to the max.Why so Serious???????? 5 out of 5
                              Wanted 3 out of 5
                              HellBoy2 5 out of 5
                              Hulk2 5 out of 5
                              Dr.Jones had my full support, and Indiana Jones 4 owned balls,just because a classic from my childhood made it into a sequel,not some newb ass "prequel" which we have been spoon fed quite a bit lately with Star Wars,and now Batmans.............................

And what about this possibility of the Avengers????? bad ass
                              Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 08-14-2008, 11:10 AM. Reason: Note:
                              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                              X