No announcement yet.

For those with a scientific interest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those with a scientific interest...

To allay any fears whipped up by the media about the large hadron collider experiment at CERN, they have published 2 webcams so you can see the system in operation... go to http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
    To allay any fears whipped up by the media about the large hadron collider experiment at CERN, they have published 2 webcams so you can see the system in operation... go to http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html
    I think the "good" thing to come out of this is that there is actually an awareness of the Large Hadron Collider.

It was supposed to be online in 2005, I thought but I guess that's how things go.

Fears about it creating mini-blackholes and "strange matter" are kind of funny.

The only people worried about it are the ones who get their news from "The View" or Oprah.

For a craptastically ignorant thread or if you are just bored:

http://forums.runecentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1478
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

TBH I haven't been following it too closely due to work and other time constraints and this is probably more Cortex's area of expertise than mine, but it would interesting to see the results, particularly if they can identify the origins of particle mass. I'm no expert but I recall reading somewhere that many physicists consider this to be something of a hole in our knowledge and the results of the experiment may or may not help to validate/disprove the theory behind the Higgs mechanism All this for a Higg's Particle!
      Last edited by Mr.Burns; 09-17-2008, 05:18 AM.
      Mr.Burns
      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

God I am sick of people linking that BS webcam. A black hole does not work that way. If the LHC produced a destructive black hole as is predicted by some people, it would be like this...

"thank you for choosing McDonalds may I take your order?"
        "yeah I want a double chee-"

and that's it.
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
          God I am sick of people linking that BS webcam. A black hole does not work that way. If the LHC produced a destructive black hole as is predicted by some people, it would be like this...

"thank you for choosing McDonalds may I take your order?"
          "yeah I want a double chee-"

and that's it.
          Yea basically huh. You wouldn't see it coming and if you did then somethings wrong

I'd like them to go forwards with this test for all the reasons it was created for, it costed BILLIONS of dollars so lets see what this puppy can do.

if I remember right it was around 12 different countries pitching in to build this and it spans 17 miles long (circle shaped or course).

If they find the Higgin Boson particle that would be great too but I doubt this will happen, just a personal insert.

P.S

I am so fucking happy Paradise is perma-banned from this forum!
          QuakeOne.com
          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
            God I am sick of people linking that BS webcam. A black hole does not work that way.
            The blackholes we know about require 3-10 solar masses to form.

The idea of a mini-blackhole is silly. Gravity is based on mass, how are these little subatomic particles going to have a strong gravity field without mass.

And the people running around saying this is going to end the world, I bet 90% of them couldn't even tell you what an electron is, let alone a boson or hadron.

It's the same people who were against microwaves because they would make your food radioactive or against cloning because your clone would come and destroy you or something like that.

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
            I am so fucking happy Paradise is perma-banned from this forum!
            It just got worse and worse, and then would I thought it couldn't get any worse, it did.

No one but Sole and Yellow know about the huge stack of demanding/harassing/threatening private messages I received.

It was difficult to handle the situation courteously.

I've never seen someone who felt they had a license from God to act abusively towards other people. And a year ago I would have put her on a short list of people who I thought were the nicest people who regularly played Quake.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              The blackholes we know about require 3-10 solar masses to form.

The idea of a mini-blackhole is silly. Gravity is based on mass, how are these little subatomic particles going to have a strong gravity field without mass.

And the people running around saying this is going to end the world, I bet 90% of them couldn't even tell you what an electron is, let alone a boson or hadron.

It's the same people who were against microwaves because they would make your food radioactive or against cloning because your clone would come and destroy you or something like that.

It just got worse and worse, and then would I thought it couldn't get any worse, it did.

No one but Sole and Yellow know about the huge stack of demanding/harassing/threatening private messages I received.

It was difficult to handle the situation courteously.

I've never seen someone who felt they had a license from God to act abusively towards other people. And a year ago I would have put her on a short list of people who I thought were the nicest people who regularly played Quake.
              Now lets never bring "it" up again Nothing but blue skies!

/me sings

I can see clearly now, the troll is gone.. I can see aaaaallll topics with no dismay.

Gone is the dumb girl that was so blind. It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
              Sun-Shiny day.

Back on the topic!

If they find the boson particle then its going to mean that soon we will have Star Trek materializer devices where you walk up and ask for a coffee and it materialized in front of you!

Of course such a device would take massive amounts of energy which is just another small puzzle to figure out for our scientists... or Baker if he has enough time

Also, I dunno if I would want to stop the LHC even if there was a solid 1.00% chance that it could destroy everything... Call me Dr.Doom but seeing as how the LHC is supposed to be fired off officialy on 2012 which is the end date of one of the Mayan chalanders, which some believe is the "End of the world" or "the apocolypse" and some "the end of the world AS WE KNOW IT" which means a complete change in the way our whole solar system might function in the future. If the LHC is going to be the pivit point in the human's technological advancement steps where instead of CPU's doubleing speed every 6 to 8 months its Quantum Computers controlling our hologram PC's then I'm all for it.

Theres quite a few good things that can come from this experiment alone, not to mention the handful of other things i'm sure the Large Hadron Collider will be capable of doing for scientific research which I won't lie, i'm not to indepth with but i'm estatic about the other portions of it anyway

If we are meant to be killed by the LHC there is NOTHING we can do about it once the "button" is pressed. I believe there is a God and there is a plan but I do not believe I am on a set path. But there are only two things that are for sure in life, death and taxes so why let death stop scientific research to help better our life?

Don't be afraid to die, millions of people do it every year, do you hear them complaining?
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Comment

i want money!!!!!!!

*materializes a bunch of pennies*

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                  ...If the LHC is going to be the pivit point in the human's technological advancement steps where instead of CPU's doubleing speed every 6 to 8 months its Quantum Computers controlling our hologram PC's then I'm all for it.
                  Now if we can just persuade them to put the technology to some good worthwhile use such as "HoloQuake" it will have been worth it :d
                  Mr.Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
                    "HoloQuake"
                    If that word were a female I would fuck it.
                    QuakeOne.com
                    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                    Great Quake engine

Comment

To be fair if they do actually figure out that matter has mass it will be the most expensive "no shit, Sherlock?" in history, and lets face it creationist theology was nailed by Galileo, so even if they can take a 16 gigapixel snap shot of the dawn of time nobody who didn't figure that one out by now is going to give up just for this...
                      Qoetia B4 == 1.93Mb

Expo Booth '08
                      !AXATAXA! == 355.24 Kb Want to take on Quake with only your axe?
                      Hunting shamblers since 1996.

Comment

I wonder though, will we get any more clues into knowing how energey turns into mass and vice-versa? Is our plane of existence just a notch on a radio dial, and is the light we see matter and our matter actually light in another frequencey of reality? and for pete's sake will we ever make a good tasting diet soda?

well I'm up for finding out. Human beings are suited for learning, discovery and knowlege. I think that refusing to explore this would be a bold step back into the caves we crawled out of.

So, bring unto me your black holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Amon26 View Post
                          and for pete's sake will we ever make a good tasting diet soda?
                          This would be revolutionary.

I can see it now..

/LHC fires up* wuuurrrttt wurrrrtt wurrtt wurt wurtwurtwurtwrtwrtwrtwrtwrt!
                          *Diet Pepsi pops into existence on the scientist's table*
                          *Scientist picks up the diet Pepsi with a look of sheer curiosity.
                          *Scientist opens the can and peeks inside
                          *Scientist puts the can to his lips and takes a sip
                          Scientist: "Its... its...Diet Pepsi?"
                          *LHC creates a black hole for Amon
                          *Life goes on.

And maybe we are just a negative of another dimensional frequency? Its to complexing to even fully think of as a whole!
                          Last edited by Phenom; 09-18-2008, 12:19 AM.
                          QuakeOne.com
                          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                          Great Quake engine

Comment

Originally posted by Amon26 View Post
                            and for pete's sake will we ever make a good tasting diet soda?
                            Diet Mt. Dew! It's awesome. Also, Diet Sunkist and to a slightly lesser extent, Diet Dr. Pepper.

I could drink a 2-liter of Diet Dew on accident if I don't pay attention.

Comment

baker, if this is true, then all is good with the universe!

also, phenom should be working for pepsi's advertising department!

Comment

Working...
                              X