What System do you Play Quake on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What System do you Play Quake on?

I have been playing quake on the same old system for 5 years now and i had upgraded the vid card and ram a few times over that course. I finally retired it and am in the process of building a new system. The new system is way overkill for quake and its 64bit vista so im hoping it runs without any issues.

My old Machine was:

P4-2.6ghz (i think)
    2 GB RAM
    Radeon X800
    IDE Crap drive
    19 Inch LCD

Ill post my new machine specs later after its up and running.

Using a 5-year old machine as primary desktop as well.

I have a Mac Mini that should have arrived by now (they send it 5 day Fedex Ground and was *supposed* to have arrived yesterday at the latest).
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Good luck. Quake runs like shit on Vista

Comment

I only got one rig. AMD Athlon 5200+ at 2.86GHz, 2x1GB DDR2 800 @ 817 with heavily tweaked timings, overclocked 8600gts for video, overclocked 8500gt for physx
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Nothing hugely special, Dual core 1.8Ghz, 2GB DDR800n and an nVidia 9600 on a CRT @ 1280x960.

Comment

well i tried quake last not... Qrack didnt work. It said couldnt load gfwad or whatever that common error is. GLProPlus worked but couldnt connect to any servers, it just sat at "Connected".

This comes from just running quake off my 120GB WD USB Drive. Which has worked on other PCs before. Didnt have anytime to look at it, it was about 1am. I will look at it more this weekend.

New PC Spec:

Intel Quad Core q9550 Oc'd to 3.2Ghz
            8 GB of OCZ DDR2-1066 MHZ RAM
            Asus Rampage Mobo
            MSI 4870x2 (2 GPUS on 1 Card with 2GB of Video Memory)
            Sata2 Velociraptor 10k drive 300GB
            Vista Ultimate 64 Bit
            And my favorite... a LG 26inch Widescreen monitor

Comment

Intel Pentium D EMT64 3.0ghz
              2gb memory
              400gb hard drive
              8800gt video card(just upgraded)
              Windows Xp pro
              16x DVD rw
              16x Dvd rom
              20inch Widescreen monitor, 1680x1050
              Actiontec Mi424wr router, forced on MoCA, wanted to use my Dlink dir-655
              Verizon Fios 5/2 internet

I use Ubutnu 11.04 and Windows 7 on my Computer.

Comment

That's weird disco... I've never had a problem running qrack in vista 64-bit. Also, 8 gigabytes? Holy shit isn't that a bit much? Nice rig though, hope you have some new games to put it to use.

Core2 e6750 @ 3.0ghz
                4GB ddr2-1066
                geforce gtx 280
                500 gb hd
                vista premium 64-bit
                24-inch Monitor

Comment

GFX WAD is a common issue with quake, do some homework and fix that problem , maybe you'll find another with Vista

machine 1
                  amd 64 x2 windsor 4200 , 1gig 333mhz ddr
                  asus nvidia 8500gt 512mb

machine 2
                  amd 64 x2 windsor 4400 , 1gig 667mhz ddr
                  sapphire radeon x1950 512mb

that newb omicron said he wouldnt build a machine alike those,but its funny how any gam released to date has been playable with graphics cranked up all the way w/o any problems.

cost per machine was under 400bucks. Newegg is rape.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

P4 2.8 GHz
                    2GB DDR333 RAM
                    XFX 6600GT 128MB

That's the important stuff, really...
                    16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                    16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                      GFX WAD is a common issue with quake, do some homework and fix that problem , maybe you'll find another with Vista

machine 1
                      amd 64 x2 windsor 4200 , 1gig 333mhz ddr
                      asus nvidia 8500gt 512mb

machine 2
                      amd 64 x2 windsor 4400 , 1gig 667mhz ddr
                      sapphire radeon x1950 512mb

that newb omicron said he wouldnt build a machine alike those,but its funny how any gam released to date has been playable with graphics cranked up all the way w/o any problems.

cost per machine was under 400bucks. Newegg is rape.
                      Have you tried Stalker or Crysis cranked up "all the way" on those systems? Both of these games can't go all the way on my system and still be playable and I've got a x2 windsor 5200+, 2gb ddr2 800, an 8600gts for video and an 8500gt for physx

Comment

I just ...found a copy of Crysis Warhead... the other day, I'll let you know what happens in just a moment with the x1650 machine,which just recently I overclocked so,we'll see brb
                        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 09-30-2008, 06:00 AM.
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

the first game that couldnt run on very-high settings so far

it ran the game flawlessly though,I told it to test for best settings, and it chose minimum, but still was a lot of eye candy to be had even on minimum settings haha. I ran the test using the x1650 card, I'll test the other machine later in the day, but im expecting the same results.

and btw, why are you bothering to use the 8500gt as physx, considering there is only a handful of games that support it...I have played Switchball ,which supposedly required the actual physx card ,which is a crock of shit,because switchball ran like a pimp without it,i just had to install physx software so the cpu could run the physx portion. this was before nvidia bought out physx as well..

Comment

Cause I had it laying around, it's my old video card. I upgraded from it to my 8600gts

Comment

do you think my radeon x1600 could handle chrysis?

Comment

Working...
                              X