Ubuntu 8.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.0

So, I decided to give kUbuntu a try. I downloaded the 550mb ISO version 8.041. I had planned to make a partition on my F: drive to boot from on my main system. But, accidentally I double clicked the CD drive to examine the contents of the newly created ISO, only to spawn the autoexec. I was greeted with a clean menu with 3 buttons, one stating I can install the OS within Windows as any normal application! Well, quick story after about 35 minutes, I am writing this message within Kubuntu, and it works great! I opt for the 15gb install so its not too much of a hog. But to my surprise, as the os will boot up independent of Window, it can still see and access ALL of my windows files!!! So, now i get to see if I can get Qrack to compile under linux in the near future
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Originally posted by R00k View Post
    So, I decided to give kUbuntu a try. I downloaded the 550mb ISO version 8.041. I had planned to make a partition on my F: drive to boot from on my main system. But, accidentally I double clicked the CD drive to examine the contents of the newly created ISO, only to spawn the autoexec. I was greeted with a clean menu with 3 buttons, one stating I can install the OS within Windows as any normal application! Well, quick story after about 35 minutes, I am writing this message within Kubuntu, and it works great! I opt for the 15gb install so its not too much of a hog. But to my surprise, as the os will boot up independent of Window, it can still see and access ALL of my windows files!!! So, now i get to see if I can get Qrack to compile under linux in the near future
    Awesome to hear!

Now I have a reason to love Linux! Thank you R00k!

Linux + Qrack = thats gangsta.
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Set it up so you can FTP and SSH and you can do all the coding work in Windows and just upload to your Linux box to compile. (And run the compile command from the SSH window, hehe).
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally, that's what i thought I was going to have to do, by installing on another box. But, even if i work on the windows side or the linux side, ubuntu will see the updated source on the windows drive and updates will be a snap

Comment

Maybe you know it already, QuDos ported Qrack to SDL once http://qudos.quakedev.com/linux/quak....1-src.tar.bz2
          He also changed some other things though. But it might be a better start.
          Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

Hehe, Rook knows about that of course. I think I made 20 links to it earlier in the year
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I know. Sometimes I wish I had won the lottery so I can sit here and learn more and had more time to produce! But, Quake isnt going anywhere, so I got plenty time one the weekends I've always wanted to make a Qrack-Lite version, but never dedicated the time. Maybe rebuilding from an old 1.60 version might help strip out some fluff... I'm curious how the mouse will feel in linux and the performance of the gfx drivers.

Comment

I checked out the Ubuntu 64 version and enjoyed the experience, regaurdless of the fact I was in a complete new territory.

Have you turned on all the bells and whistles and played with dragging windows ,and using the wicked multi desktop feature
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I've been using varios types of Linux since 1995 but let me get this straight...

I know theres dual booting 2 operating systems, and even installing an OS onto a jumpdrive/cd-rw/dvd-rw etc etc etc.. but you installed kubuntu directly into your windows partition?

What type of witchcraft is this!?
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Comment

Ya thats what im saying!

[drunken garble deleted]

Last edited by R00k; 10-09-2008, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Ya thats what im saying!

Basically if you ar a mina windows user, and wanna meager to the otherside....
                      well it's that simple!
                      u can erase the folger/uninstall no prob. This is a lamen install abd works great for the casual user with little setup. But if u are looking for a solid OS free and with 1000 pounds of support then install it fresh as it was meant to!

I see, since I don't compile things in a daily basis then i'll pass, I get sudden urges to wipe Windows XP out and install a fresh Ubuntu OS at least once every 2-3 months when WinXP starts thinking its shyt doesn't stink.

i like using Linux because I get to feel like theres not a greasy MS employee spying over my shoulder, instead its just a harmless greasy penguin

Bill Gates likes to read my emails : (

P.S I can't abuse the smiley icons anymore, I'm depressed now :-(
                      QuakeOne.com
                      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                      Great Quake engine

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                        I've been using varios types of Linux since 1995 but let me get this straight...

I know theres dual booting 2 operating systems, and even installing an OS onto a jumpdrive/cd-rw/dvd-rw etc etc etc.. but you installed kubuntu directly into your windows partition?

What type of witchcraft is this!?

Its not that far fetched, heard of Virtual Box before?
                        http://www.virtualbox.org/

Check it out, I've seen first hand Windows running from within Ubuntu on Virtual Box , and vice versa.

Some cool shit to play with
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I checked out the Ubuntu 64 version and enjoyed the experience, regaurdless of the fact I was in a complete new territory.
                          Hmm, I didn't installed the 64-bit version. I have an Intel core 2 duo so maybe I should!! But i can still use this version on my older AMD Sempron.

Comment

I downloaded the updated 64 version, I'm going to install it later today on a freshly formatted 15gig hd, which is more than adequate for ubuntu

Comment

people are easy to please, huh.

Personally, I use a solid Gentoo system with a couple Windows apps (the ones that either have no alternative, or run faster than their Linux counterparts) on top of it - via wine.

I would actually use Linux as the base system any day - the advantage of the Windows world is in the area of applications, not the OS.
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                              X