The Pleiades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pleiades

Last night I took some binoculars and walked outside. I looked at a star chart, hoping to find a really neat star cluster I wanted to see. It's real close to Orion, so I found him and found another star nearby. I looked, and there wasn't anything there. So I was like, "Huh, they should be right there.", and I pointed the binoculars to the EXACT spot of this star cluster!

"What's so neat about this cluster?", you may ask.

Well, in Japan, this star cluser is called "Subaru".

Likewise, they named a car company after this star cluster, and even the symbol for it kinda resembles the cluster itself.

Neat junk, huh?

There's a ton of crap named after Subaru star cluster. An observatory too I think, it was on the wikipedia front page like half a year ago

Comment

What is a shame is that you basically have to go out in the country to see the stars well due to all the light pollution?

One time way out in the country after the sun set on the longest day of the year, I was hanging out with some buds and looked up and saw some clouds.

But these thin clouds didn't move.

After closer observation, I realized they weren't clouds. It was the galaxy.

It was a surreal moment for me, because I didn't realize you could actually see the cloudy haze of the galaxy. I think that required a telescope or something.

But in the city, this is impossible. In fact, you really have to be in an area without any man-made lights.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

You can see VENUS every night through a telescope. Its supposed to be the brightest star, according to my science teacher. Well here in NOrth Carolina anywayz.

Theres a giant field in my neighboorhood where you can view the starts easily at your leisure.

Comment

Working...
        X