Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summer Movies - Transformers 2, GI Joe, Harry Potter, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Movies - Transformers 2, GI Joe, Harry Potter, etc.

You know, I'm all about watching movies in the summer and this summer I've just had no time to watch any of them Last year I must have watched 15 movies in the summer.

What was great? What sucked? What do you have to say about the movies that came out this summer?
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

star trek was okay, but it was not at all star trekie. it was more a generic, spaceship action movie with star trek characters. it lacked any psychological depth or ingenuity. it was more like starship troopers than an episode of the next generation

Comment

I know a lot of Harry Potter fans complained about the new movie but I still enjoyed it (and the Half-Blood Prince was my favorite book of the series). The movie left out some pretty important stuff but I still found it enjoyable to watch overall.

I just saw The Orphan the other day and it's pretty solid. If you're into scary movies check it out.

I'm also behind in my movie watching these days...these two are the only ones I've seen all summer.

Comment

Harry Potter wasn't bad, but it seemed more like it was just the prologue to the next story rather than a story of it's own.

Transformers 2 was really good, although it still seemed to be all about marketing (Hasbro's toys) and product placement.

Comment

I'm probably the most warped person, but here it goes:

Star Trek is now my new most favourite movie- as a movie I found it awesome.
          I say this as a fan of the original series (mainly because it's so ridiculous but fun and engaging)- but can't stand the newer ones because they're boring.
          Saw it twice.

Harry Potter 6- Half Blood Prince was fantastic;
          -Unlike the last couple of movies, THIS one was in many ways actually BETTER than the book (replaced backstory details with new action sequence and twists), and actually as good as the first two (in some ways better)- cuts out pointless excesses, excellent flow, keeps a lot of original content.
          Might see it again, it's longer than the others, but you don't really notice the time (and normally I DO notice the time in films).

GI-Joe was great fun to watch- the heroes and their dialogue are nauseating but the evil scientist was great- I might even watch it again too. Definitely not remotely sophisticated or complex (except the technology of course)
          Action scenes are great, fantastic scene where a guy decomposes.

Hated Transformers 2; 3 hours of torture. If you liked the first movie but hated the characters, awkward scenes and humor (the 'happy time' joke was funny but dragged on and on), avoid this one like the plague- it builds even MORE on even worse humor, recycled highschool drama, and even has two comic relief characters so painfully bad I will not complain about JarJar Binks ever again.
          Seriously, the movie is like two and a half hours of boring shit, half hour with robots. I strongly recommend only watching it if you are able to fast forward.
          Check out my awesome Deviant art page!
          Quake fanart (obviously included)!

http://harry-the-fox.deviantart.com/

Comment

Interesting diversity of opinions ...

I did see the Star Trek movie and thought they did an outstanding job. I thought the Star Trek Next Generation movies generally sucked and well ... most of the original cast movies were not very good either.

I saw the Star Trek movie back in May (pre-summer )

Originally posted by crowpath View Post
            I just saw The Orphan the other day and it's pretty solid. If you're into scary movies check it out.
            Scary movies that are solid are a valuable commodity ++
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

The only movies I'm concerned with:

Moon
              District 9

Comment

I watched harry potter and liked it somewhat. I'm not a reader but my gf that reads it said it was decent compared to the book. But like previously said, they run around setting up to what is gonna come two movies from now.

Didn't get to watch Transformers 2 yet cause gf went w/o me but she said it was really bad. EXCESSIVE action to where it made her bored. Seemed like the plot and action targeted pre-teen:teenage boys. I heard meghan fox was hot tho. My gf said she even thought she was hot.

Haven't heard or seen gi joe.

Terminator was awesome, must see.

Comment

0 - 10 scale, 0 being FAIL, 10 being cannot miss!

Star Trek 9 (The only reason it lacked a 10 is because I was forced to endure new faces,and the only shred of normality or familiarity was Leonard Nimoy.Otherwise a great movie.please!,you cant compare Star Ship Troopers to Star Trek of any generation.

Will add some more movies as I recollect my thoughts, and for some reason I smell chlorine right now. Extreme amounts of it type smell, like a pool. HMMWTF
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

As a fan of ST TOS, I went into that movie I guess knowing in all odds I would be greatly disappointed...I was. I walked out after the first 40 mins. Yes, it was an assimilation by the BORG of the original characters, and yea, now that you mention it, alot like Starship troopers. I endured ST TNG in hopes one day something else would come along to maybe equal what TOS did, but that hope is now clearly a pipe dream I have to accept.

The Terminator movie was at least sticking with the original concepts that made the legacy what it is, and for that, I give it a 10. Thought the Wolverine movie was pretty good too, decent blend of action and character. Transformers are a little too much CGI, like GI Joe...I got enough CGI with Quake.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                      and for some reason I smell chlorine right now. Extreme amounts of it type smell, like a pool. HMMWTF
                      Sorry, that was me... I farted.
                      e|------------------------0---------------
                      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                      A|---------------0------------------------
                      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
                        As a fan of ST TOS, I went into that movie I guess knowing in all odds I would be greatly disappointed...I was. I walked out after the first 40 mins. Yes, it was an assimilation by the BORG of the original characters, and yea, now that you mention it, alot like Starship troopers. I endured ST TNG in hopes one day something else would come along to maybe equal what TOS did, but that hope is now clearly a pipe dream I have to accept.
                        Boy, you've got to be a real stickler to like sci-fi and not have enjoyed TNG.

Hard-core TOS fans like that kinda frighten me, to be honest.

Comment

I guess I am a traditionalist. It means if you get something, you put back into it, otherwise you really didnt get anything out of it and you are just there as fluff. TNG did put a 'little' back into the concepts that made TOS great, in some of the season one episodes, but they decided its eventually gonna evolve into something different, just like this movie decided to do within the first 40 mins. The first 40 mins was like watching all the TNG , DS9, and Voyager series I had seen all at once, been there, done that, could have got the t-shirt, but opted to save my $. Sure, its a tall order to stand near what TOS accomplished, and I guess they deserve credit for trying. As for being scared, maybe you are human after all, and not so Vulcan.

Originally posted by terminus View Post
                          Boy, you've got to be a real stickler to like sci-fi and not have enjoyed TNG.
                          Hard-core TOS fans like that kinda frighten me, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
                            I guess I am a traditionalist. It means if you get something, you put back into it, otherwise you really didnt get anything out of it and you are just there as fluff. TNG did put a 'little' back into the concepts that made TOS great, in some of the season one episodes, but they decided its eventually gonna evolve into something different, just like this movie decided to do within the first 40 mins. The first 40 mins was like watching all the TNG , DS9, and Voyager series I had seen all at once, been there, done that, could have got the t-shirt, but opted to save my $. Sure, its a tall order to stand near what TOS accomplished, and I guess they deserve credit for trying. As for being scared, maybe you are human after all, and not so Vulcan.

Heheh. Well, I never got into the original, and find it unwatchable at this point. Guess I'll never fully understand its appeal. Haven't seen the new movie though.

The first 40 mins was like watching all the TNG , DS9, and Voyager series I had seen all at once
                            You say that like it's a bad thing

Comment

I guess I would too if I was weened on the 'substitute' from the getgo....because in some very key aspects, like you have noted, they are different - in the end result. I can watch any episode of TOS and I get out of it in the first 15 seconds what I would from any of the other shows full episodes. There is more theatrics and depth in many dimensions, plus better acting with no prior material to go on...thats how its so different, they did much more than they do now, with a lot less. Now its all CGI, and fluff to me, seen one, seen em all.

Originally posted by terminus View Post
                              Heheh. Well, I never got into the original, and find it unwatchable at this point. Guess I'll never fully understand its appeal. Haven't seen the new movie though.
                              You say that like it's a bad thing

Comment

Working...
                              X