• Show
Clear All

• ATi or nVidia! Poll

Which one,and Why!
    ATi
    50.00%
    nVidia
    50.00%
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

I seen Eyefinity, and the cost is why I went ATi.

two EAH5770's was my choice!
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I stick with Nvidia for superior folding@home performance.
      e|------------------------0---------------
      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
      A|---------------0------------------------
      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Nvidia has better drivers than ATI
        ATI has better hardware than Nvidia

Pick what you want, if you don't want to deal with shitty drivers then goto Nvidia.
        Goto ATI if you don't mind shit drivers but enjoy better hardware.

I'm going to have to goto ATI at the moment even, though, I'm using an nvidia at the moment.
        Not to mention ATI is usually cheaper.

Comment

I have to go with ATI since Im still not over the whole 3DFX Nvidia thing. Even though it was really their own fault. I hate the way Nvidia names the thousands of chipsets they seem to have also.
          If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

I've always preferred how Nvidia names their cards as they seem to stick with a naming convention.
            ATI is absolutely random it feels like at times.

Comment

Originally posted by bFeared View Post
              Nvidia has better drivers than ATI
              ATI has better hardware than Nvidia

Pick what you want, if you don't want to deal with shitty drivers then goto Nvidia.
              Goto ATI if you don't mind shit drivers but enjoy better hardware.

I'm going to have to goto ATI at the moment even, though, I'm using an nvidia at the moment.
              Not to mention ATI is usually cheaper.
              Nvidia's has the faster cards ever since ATI released th HD2xxx series. In terms of performance, Nvidia wins. ATI generally performs slightly less than the Nvidia counterpart, but tends to be more efficent in terms of performance per watt.

Originally posted by bFeared View Post
              I've always preferred how Nvidia names their cards as they seem to stick with a naming convention.
              ATI is absolutely random it feels like at times.
              I actually prefer ATI's naming. It's really simple to follow, there's no GTO, XT, XTX, etc to follow anymore, just simple model numbers. The 4870 is top dog, while the 4850 is a slightly lesser card, while the 4830 is slightly less than the 4850... very consise. Nvidia has like 23 cards using the same G92 chip. The 8800GS and the 9600GSO are the same thing, but there are 3 versions of the 9600GSO, 192-bit 96 shader model, 128-bit 96 shader model, and 128-bit 48 shader model. The 8800GT is the same thing as the 9800GT, and the 8800GT is faster than the 8800GTS (although GT is supposed to be < GTS), unless you have the G92 based 8800GTS, which is the same thing as a 9800GTX, which is the same thing as a GTS250, only difference being die shrinks. Confused yet?

Comment

Originally posted by foq View Post

I actually prefer ATI's naming. It's really simple to follow, there's no GTO, XT, XTX, etc to follow anymore, just simple model numbers. The 4870 is top dog, while the 4850 is a slightly lesser card, while the 4830 is slightly less than the 4850... very consise. Nvidia has like 23 cards using the same G92 chip. The 8800GS and the 9600GSO are the same thing, but there are 3 versions of the 9600GSO, 192-bit 96 shader model, 128-bit 96 shader model, and 128-bit 48 shader model. The 8800GT is the same thing as the 9800GT, and the 8800GT is faster than the 8800GTS (although GT is supposed to be < GTS), unless you have the G92 based 8800GTS, which is the same thing as a 9800GTX, which is the same thing as a GTS250, only difference being die shrinks. Confused yet?
                Thats what Im talkin about!! Ive been out of the computer scene for about 11 years. I was blown away when I saw the model numbers that Nvidia was throwing around. The last Nvidia card I had actually remembered was the Riva 128.
                If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

Maybe I missed something.
                  I thought we were talking about the latest and greatest cards not that old shite that's obsolete.

I don't know foq, with the 2xxx series you're correct but I feel the 5870 can outdo the 480, anytime.

Comment

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 AMP! Edition Review - Page 1/33 | techPowerUp

Feel free to look through the benchmarks of various games. Seems like they trade blows. Hell, the 470 even beat the 5870 in some cases. Seems like the 480 is the faster card overall.

They're close, as always, but my general statement still stands: Nvidia has the best performers, but ATI seems to be more efficient when it comes to performance/power draw while performing slightly under the competitor.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for that link.
                      I need to read up on some of these things a bit more. Most of my information has been from word of mouth, as of late. Been too busy.

Comment

I think ATI has a better price/features index and features/wattconsumption.
                        Nvidia is best in top performances.

I like RED

and, let me say something: a good software that uses a good hardware is the best choice... often games are not optimized, are buggy and causes slowdown and bad fps.
                        That's why i prefer opensource games
                        Ia! Ia! Shubb Niggurath!

"Not dead is what forever can wait" (HPL)

Comment

ATI right now. I pick whichever one has the better card out when im looking to buy the top card at the time.

Comment

Depends on several factors, like the operating system.

For Linux, the answer is usually NVIDIA.

It might be changing though.
                            Scout's Journey
                            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

ATI for life!! but NVIDIA uses higher quality components. I did have ATI cards crap out but they went through hell and back before they did.

Comment

Working...
                              X