Cheap Alert's QuakeOne Protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Alert's QuakeOne Protest

I really blame Baker for this. QT turned into another Quakeone portal.

As a result i'm leaving quakeone. Call me emo, but fuck you baker.

Originally posted by CheapAlert
    I really blame Baker for this. QT turned into another Quakeone portal.

As a result i'm leaving quakeone. Call me emo, but fuck you baker.
    I blame Baker for cleaning up RuneCentral forums. As a result, I'm staying in quakeone. Call me emo, but fuck you baker!

Comment

Originally posted by CheapAlert
      I really blame Baker for this.
      CheapAlert, Megazoid wanted to hang up the hat back in January several months before this site even launched. This was months in the making.

Please do your homework before making unfair and very incorrect unsubstantiated allegations. Thank you.

January 17th, 2006 Quake Terminus post

"I don't know what the future of QuakeTerminus will be. The site wont be going anywhere, but after nearly five years, I'm getting the urge to move on. Perhaps somebody out there would like to take over complete control of it (Baker?). It's something you have to want to do, and not feel you have to do. If there are no takers, it will just stay as it is."

January 17, 2006 --- Megazoid @ QuakeTerminus.com

AND ...

Megazoid on QuakeOne launch @ rome.ro

"Soon, my site will be redundant. \o/ I'll be free... free of this Quake 1 curse!!!! Hehe." --- Megazoid, March 8, 2006

Twice as unfair, considering you are aware of these as well.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Dear CheapAlert,

Hope you're having a good time after leaving QuakeOne. Hope you aren't watching too many furries, heh heh.

bla bla bla

Sincerely, me

-------

ok in all honesty, QuakeOne is the forthcoming of bringing the Quake1 community togethor as a whole and I must say that Solecord, Baker and Yellow (and whoever else) did a very good job in doing so. You had you chance to be a part of this community but you chose to be outcasted instead. I've really heard nothing good come out of your posts: eQuake, furries, bashing Baker. For fuck sakes, be positive for once!

I for one will not miss you and will target you if I ever see you on the servers

Have a good day!

Comment

Everyone has strong feelings about the loss of Quake Terminus. It broke my heart to see the March 8th post at rome.ro one day about a month ago when Googling.

When I saw that, I knew Quake Terminus was going to "close".

It is common to have a gut reaction to something as sad as the closing of Quake Terminus.

I hold no ill feelings towards CheapAlert for expressing his gut feelings on this matter. This is a sad day for some of us, it is natural to have strong feelings and want to assign a cause.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

CheapAlert and I as well as a few others came here for not much reason other than QuakeOne was advertised all over the place. We're all modders, and we couldn't feel more out of place in this place. I have remained so far, for reasons I'm not sure of, I guess I like to waste time spamming forums

I enjoy the odd thread about Quake, like the Chthon stuff, and the Lovecraft stuff, and the monsters, and that. Baker did a really great job bringing up that kind of stuff in the forums over and over and over, tirelessly thinking up interesting new threads.

But QuakeOne as a 'central hub' won't work I don't think. This is instead 100% focused on players of NQ Quake. I think trying to make some sort of a hub will never work. You've got your mappers, your modders (the two of which are segregated much to the annoyance of the modders but not the mappers ), your NQ players, and your QW players, and that seems to be how it will always be.

I contemplated leaving this place as well, as 90% of the stuff on the forum is irrelevant to me, but I enjoy the random Quake conversations as rare as they may now be. I'll stick around, at least for a while.

Comment

I just wanted to say what I said on IRC. But first, for those who missed it Quake Terminus is not closing, just the increasingly infrequently updated news section is gone, at least, from what I have gathered.

And secondly, I feel that QuakeOne.com mainly provides a voice for the NQ players, Inside3D mainly provides for the QuakeC modders, Func_messageboard mainly for the mappers, Besmella Quake mainly for the QuakeWorld players, Quakesrc mainly for the engine coders.

Quake Terminus news was, for a time, the hub. It linked into most of all the isolated communities and brought them together. I think Megazoid managed to pull this off largely because his content was appealing throughout entire scene. The news was there to great you as you went into the rest of his great site.

All is not lost, obviously, We still have Quaddicted and to a much lesser extent PlanetQuake (Sifting the their news for Q1 nuggets is a task though), but Terminus and the service it provided will be sorely missed.

I'm sorry to hear Megazoid did not realize what his site was contributing, and that he thought QuakeOne would basically steal his thunder. QuakeOne isn't the entire scene and does not directly compete with or replace Quake Terminus. But Megazoid obviously didn't want to do the news, and that's his choice after all. Blaming it on QuakeOne is foolish and I will not not visit here because of this. I will not visit here because I haven't seen many threads that were all that applicable or interesting.
              Last edited by FrikaC; 04-22-2006, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FrikaC
                And secondly, I feel that QuakeOne.com mainly provides a voice for the NQ players, Inside3D mainly provides for the QuakeC modders, Func_messageboard mainly for the mappers, Besmella Quake mainly for the QuakeWorld players, Quakesrc mainly for the engine coders.
                Exactly, although we also want to help ppl find the right resources too. Which is why we have all the links on the front page.

And you are also right, Quake Terminus is a classic site, we aren't trying to replace QT. QT is the '57 Chevy of Quake sites.

Thanks for stopping in, FrikaC.

Comment

Originally posted by FrikaC
                  I will not visit here because I haven't seen many threads that were all that applicable or interesting.
                  That's your right. Thanks for coming to voice your opinion. But you know you can always start a thread or two on stuff that does interest you and perhaps stimulate more conversations to start up. Just a thought.

Comment

I'm kind of shocked at CheapAlert's statement. I closed the site because I've had enough of working on it. That's it... period.

Baker has posted a good 60 or 70 news items on QuakeTerminus and done a fantastic job of helping out. Baker AND CheapAlert have both helped the QuakeTerminus stumble on for another couple of years. Enormous thanks to you both and of course Bank, Louise, and everybody else that helped.

I'll tell you all a little ironic story. I started QuakeTerminus back in 2001 because I was actually tired of playing Quake. I had played CFT & DM on Europeans servers everyday for 2 or 3 years. The European NetQuake scene was close to being dead. You couldn't get enough players for a CTF match, and botters were killing the tiny DM scene. I thought I would pop everything I had on a site as a kind of farewell gesture. Hence the name Quake Terminus (The final point; the end.) Next thing I know, the site is popular - D'oh! (I think mainly down to my pimping (oops), and a reasonably complete mod section). Unfortunately, I'm now in charge of something I wanted to get shot of.

I'll be honest - I did get back into it, and still enjoy new SinglePlayer maps and Quake mods. I did enjoy running QuakeTerminus for a few years, but have been trying to ditch it for an equal number. The site will stay up as it is for all eternity and I'll probably make sure the links are working every 6 months or so, but that's about it. I'm not actually going as such, so do expect the odd post from me. :d

Thanks for the kind words from Baker, FrikaC, Canadian*Sniper & Sajt. It's nice to know QuakeTerminus made a difference. Warms the old heart.
                    Quaketerminus.com Quake files & links

Comment

Originally posted by Megazoid
                      I thought I would pop everything I had on a site as a kind of farewell gesture. Hence the name Quake Terminus (The final point; the end.) Next thing I know, the site is popular - D'oh!
                      Ain't life funny that way :d

I had always thought of you as some sort of icon and the guy that had broad appeal/interests. The site has so much fun stuff and resources, I always thought of it as a solid one-stop shop. And an outgoing sense of humor, which was nice and fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Megazoid
                        Thanks for the kind words from Baker, FrikaC, Canadian*Sniper & Sajt. It's nice to know QuakeTerminus made a difference. Warms the old heart.
                        yep yep yep that's very sweet NOW PM ME MY USER INFO!! jk we love you

Comment

Originally posted by Sajt
                          CheapAlert and I as well as a few others came here for not much reason other than QuakeOne was advertised all over the place. We're all modders, and we couldn't feel more out of place in this place. I have remained so far, for reasons I'm not sure of, I guess I like to waste time spamming forums

I enjoy the odd thread about Quake, like the Chthon stuff, and the Lovecraft stuff, and the monsters, and that. Baker did a really great job bringing up that kind of stuff in the forums over and over and over, tirelessly thinking up interesting new threads.

But QuakeOne as a 'central hub' won't work I don't think. This is instead 100% focused on players of NQ Quake. I think trying to make some sort of a hub will never work. You've got your mappers, your modders (the two of which are segregated much to the annoyance of the modders but not the mappers ), your NQ players, and your QW players, and that seems to be how it will always be.

I contemplated leaving this place as well, as 90% of the stuff on the forum is irrelevant to me, but I enjoy the random Quake conversations as rare as they may now be. I'll stick around, at least for a while.
                          I agree, I only hope that the site doesnt completely die out. If Megazoid could transfer maintenence of the site to someone else, I'm sure QT could stay on it's feet, because at this moment, QuakeOne isnt looking too great : (

Quake Terminus has always been there, and to have it gone is like a kick in the teeth.
                          "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

I'd like to clarify something. The reason sole, baker and I started the quakeone.com project was not to provide an "end all" everything quake site.

I started playing quake a year ago after not playing for 5 years. I had just gotten back from living abroad and had some time on my hands before I started working. The reason I started up quake again was that I remembered it as just being more fun than newer games I'd played.

When I started looking around the web for info on quake, basic stuff like "here are the clients that are available and what they do, here are the busy servers/mods people play, here is how you get setup to play/what to bind for each server" etc. I found squat. It took A LOT of digging to find the info I was looking for, get setup with proquake, and figure out what mods/servers people played. There is NO WAY I would have spent the effort to get back into playing quake had I not been sitting around without much to do. I talked about to Baker and sole on another forum, and we all agreed a site that provided this kind of info and help was needed and we got to work on quakeone.com.

We would like the forums to be a good place for people in the netquake community to hang out, as providing help for newbs is not enough to keep a site going, and we have tried to make the site as broadly appealing as possible. So far I've enjoyed the broad range of people and interests that have showed up on quakeone, and met a lot of people I hadn't run into before. A lot of people have complained that quakeone doesn't focus enough on their particular interests, or the client they like, or whatever. There are tons of great quake sites focusing on new or specific interests, and tons of great quakeworld sites. We are trying to promote playign netquake and the netquake community at large, not one particular corner of it. We would like to bring attention to the other great parts of quake too like the singleplayer and mapping community, which most newbs and DM layers know little about. As for QW, we've also tried to be friendly towards their community, and link to QW sites and downloads, even though a lot of QW people constantly bash NQ and would never link to a NQ site.

I have spent a lot of my spare time working on quakeone and related projects. I'm not here to entertain anyone. If you are interested in something being discussed here start a thread for it. If you want the site to provide info on something write a guide for it and we'll add it. Quakeone isn't a news site, if there is a big demand for the site providing news too, we could open up the frontpage for news submissions. I dont think many people would be willing to spend the time writing the stories though and other sites fill this need already.

As for cheapalerts post attacking Baker, that's just stupid flamebait. There is no way he didn't know Megazoid was planning this for months. I knew that and I read qt about once a month.
                            uakene.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bank
                              because at this moment, QuakeOne isnt looking too great : (
                              I've learned more about the Quake community at large in this last month than probably in the last 5 years. I don't think my experience is atypical either.

I don't think any of us knew what to think when this site launched a month +/- ago.

It's been an extremely great experience for me to meet all these new people (scarecrow, sajt, yourself, lardarse, error, div0 on IRC, underworldfan, johnxmas and on and on and on ... heck, I chatted with FrikaC for the first time a few weeks ago getting QuakeC advice --- it's all been cool)

I've enjoyed every minute of it and I think there are a lot of others that feel the same.

The world is about diversity and we've got QUITE a bit of it here. In fact, more than I ever knew existed in Quake, to be quite honest. I had no idea.

As for a QT without Megazoid, that would be like a Terminator movie without Arnold in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X