Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Movies .. Buy or Rent?

Originally posted by Sajt
    Yup, I rip my CDs and put em away too. Some of my old game CDs I rip to images to use with Daemon tools.
    Most people with any common sense back up their CDs. It's not too hard. If you are going to pay $18 for something that a single scratch can degrade, you better back it up if you going to have any number of them.

You hear RIAA complain about declining CD sales, and maybe that is due to piracy like they say, but I'd say E-Bay, the price of gas, the McJobs economy, ppl not buying the same CD twice probably has more to do with that.

Regardless, movies are a hassle to back up and most people don't do it.

I've never been into buying movies, I don't like watching a movie twice usually and I'd rather rent movies.

Let's say you liked Spiderman 2. Why pay $18 for it if you plan on having an unlimited DVD rentals from Netflix or Blockbuster?

At the same time, my brother uses a different approach and usually buys any movie instead of renting it if it is over a year old. He'll just buy it for $5 used at the video rental place.

Makes sense, I guess but then I'd have to figure out where to put them. I don't like owning a lot of stuff, my view is that the stuff owns you (you manage it, have to put it in boxes when you move, find a place to put it ... ideally it'd be on your hard drive so you.)

So the poll ... movies - do you rent them or buy them?

The truth of the matter is that I have more DVDs from borrowing them from people and forgetting to return them than I do any other source. I've also lost more movies due to this method than scratched/ruined DVDs.
    Buy!
    33.33%
    Rent!
    66.67%
    Borrow from friend and "forget" to return.
    0.00%
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I rent unless it's a really good movie that I'll watch over and over again (like The Lord of the Rings).

Comment

Originally posted by Solecord
      I rent unless it's a really good movie that I'll watch over and over again (like The Lord of the Rings).
      That is a good one to own. I have that on DVD.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I have way too many DVDs

Enough to where Im considering saving only a few (along with the horror movies) and selling the rest and then using the money to go buy something useful, like a new computer...

Now I just rent, I used to just buy stuff I wanted to see... As in "Ooh I havent seen that... *$20*"
        Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

If I rent a DVD:

go to local video store -->
          get special deal (3 for 2, etc) -->
          dvd shrink -->
          dvd decrypter -->
          bring back the DVDs the next day

Comment

I Download Them

Comment

Illegally

Comment

ditto.. but. if I don't get them that way.. I rent first. If I like it enough that I would buy it. I wait for it to go on clearance or reduced. After having over 200 of those fricken VHS tapes and not having room for them.. I would rather not own.
                www.Net-Tyme.com
                Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
                Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

If the movie was good in theatres (and i mean REALLY good, cause I only have 2 DVD's) then I'll buy it. If I've never heard of the movie before I'll rent it (very rare).

Most movies suck. I rarely buy or rent any.

Comment

Most of the DVD's I buy are old cartoons that don't air anymore (Space Ghost coast2coast, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Home Movies ect.ect.ect) except for my favorite Horror movies I never get tired of and I own the Lord o' Rings Extended Editions

Comment

i had about 50 or more dvd's and i lost them all.

things such as enter the dragon and some other bruce lee, jet li and jackie chan movies as well as one mark dacascos movie were lost. gladiator, the three crow movies box set, 6 seasons of star trek the next generation, and some other stuff were lost as well. this includes a rare chinese martial arts movie called the prodigal son.

all of them were lost to a pawn shop that sold our dvd's because they didnt notify us. its all a scam.

sometimes ill want to watch something and forget that i dont have it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by seighten
                        i had about 50 or more dvd's and i lost them all.
                        That has to suck. Once I had my whole CD collection stolen. They broke into my car the 2nd day I moved into an apartment.

A pretty shitty feeling I had about humanity and people in general that day. It cost me $300 to get my car window replaced (I think I had a $500 deductible) and I never did bother replacing the hundreds of $$$ of CD's.

For the most part, it has been a long time since I have bought a CD. I don't buy them anymore.

Comment

Working...
                        X