Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP image boot

Hello quakers...

Goal: to be able to boot and restore WinXP to original state from any OS... a backup if you may. Without having to re-install, use floppy drive or use 3rd party software(norton ghost.. etc).

Win7 32 bit and 64 bit works seamlessly... a repair boot dvd and an image dvd!.
    However winXP demands a floppy disk for this particular task, plus the dvd/cd rom isn't even considered a "removable disk" when wanting to burn a backup. but that is easily by-passed.

Using the win7 boot disk does not even seem to pickup the winXP backup.

Any techies care to assist?
    Some play to remember...
    Some play to forget.

No idea about your problem, but your question is better suited for techPowerUp! Forums
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

No.

It gets stickier then that. Once you get into MBRs and stuff there comes a point when you have to to some deep ZERO'ing or else Windows XP will never boot again. Usually you'll have to boot from a floppy or CD rescue image to fix these type of errors when switching from one OS to another.

If you're just going from Windows to Windows however, it shouldn't be to hard just save your important data to CD/DVD and wipe the drive.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Ok, you said no third party stuff, but I've been doing exactly what you described over the last couple of days at work, and I have to say this tool makes the job real easy

Comment

I've always been particular to Ghost
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I wouldn't bother with a WinXP boot CD; it has trouble with stuff like AHCI disk interfaces and as time goes on support for more modern hardware will be more and more deprecated. Grab a copy of WinPE instead (try find the Vista Windows AIK) and use that. Previous versions were only available to enterprise customers but from the Vista AIK onwards it's available to all for no charge. I've made disk images for XP with it that have been deployed to several thousand PCs and have been in use for 5 years, so I can vouch that it works. Also boots from USB which is a nice bonus. Steep learning curve though, but it's worth it. Google for "microsoft malware removal starter kit" for probably the most accessible set of instructions.

Alternatively look at BartPE, but I have to say that I've never got that working to my own satisfaction.
            IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
            X