Computer Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Science

I just enrolled for Computer Science but I don't know any programing. I'm just wondering did I make a mistake going into this?

algorithms !!! get ready for the bleeding brain !!!
    SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
    THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BB2 H23A1 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
    sigpic

Comment

My major is computer science as well. I'm in my second year of college... Be ready for a ton of math. Pretty sure you have to take Calculus I-III. I've only taken a few programming classes, they weren't too bad. Just requires a good foundation, you don't really have to have any programming knowledge beforehand. On the other hand there are Computer Programming majors which obviously are specialized towards programming, I guess computer science is more general. Good luck....
      Clan Brotherhood of the Axe

Comment

which school?
        SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
        THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BB2 H23A1 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bta.monster View Post
          My major is computer science as well. I'm in my second year of college... Be ready for a ton of math. Pretty sure you have to take Calculus I-III. I've only taken a few programming classes, they weren't too bad. Just requires a good foundation, you don't really have to have any programming knowledge beforehand. On the other hand there are Computer Programming majors which obviously are specialized towards programming, I guess computer science is more general. Good luck....
          Good info thank you.

Originally posted by StatiC View Post
          which school?
          BCIT.

Comment

oooh, that one school it teach good !
            SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
            sigpic

Comment

I'm currently writing my thesis in bioinformatics at a german university but I guess it's similar around the world: as monster said get ready for some (ugly unless you really like that stuff) math in the first semesters, the real fun starts later.

You don't need to have programming skills when you start but it doesn't hurt of course. Here the first 3 semesters were really stressful and if you have to do a bit less because you already know some programming basics you'll be happy. And what will help really are just basics.

What I mean is, you don't need to have an idea of GUI programming or other special stuff like that. At least here you'll only need to implement some basic algorithms as command line programs. If you know how to code a console program that solves e.g. the Tower of Hanoi problem, that's absolutely sufficient. One can learn that with a book or online tutorials in a few days (a book won't hurt and they're free when you study, just check the library).
              dfsp*spirit
              my FPS maps

Comment

I have a BS Computer Science, and have been in the field for ~6 years since graduating.

I can tell you, you won't learn how to program from the classes that you take (i'm assuming that's what you want to do). When you take classes like C# or Java, they'll just give you the basics of that language, not how to be proficient in it, that'll come through your own learning.

The *real* benefit comes from the courses that teach Data structures, Computer Architecture, Compilers (Best course), algorithms (hell yea Big O notation!), and other courses that go beyond just programming and show you in depth how stuff works and how you should think when you do get into programming.

I graduated with very poor programming skills, but picked it up mostly on the job or in my spare time. A lot of the concepts that were taught in school really come out after and you'll find yourself understanding exactly why certain language constructs are the way they are such as memory / function stacks, pointers, paging, etc.

Also, some of your teachers will offer independent studies in certain subjects. I had a teacher offer an independent study in designing and programming an mp3 player out of a programmable microprocessor. It took a TON of work and a lot of my own time, but it was extra education and guidance you wouldn't normally receive, and with the cost of education so high, you take anything you can get.

So to answer your question, you're only making a mistake if you're not into it. Don't goto school just for the degree, you really have to have some passion in order to be open to the wealth of knowledge they'll give you. You're dropping tens of thousands of dollars into an investment, and it will pay off definitely, if you do the work.

Comment

I'm gonna start taking some math courses till the summer and if need be I will be going to summer school, I dont start till September so I got some time.

Comment

Working...
                  X