Been a while, huh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a while, huh?

Don't know if you guys want or even care for an update from me, but you probably have noticed I haven't played Quake for a while, a few years I think.

Well, the reason why I stopped playing is that my old desktop died from fatal errors, and I just never put Quake onto my laptop. I doubt I'd be anywhere near the level I was at, after not being around for a few years + my laptop being a POS.

Anyway, here's what's been going on lately. 2010 was a year of both triumph and heartbreak. In May I spent four weeks on a camping trip called Field Camp that is a requirement to graduate in Geology. I camped at Inks Lake near Llano, Texas; Palo Duro near Amarillo, Texas; Taos, New Mexico; Sunset Crater near Flagstaff, Arizona; and finally North Rim of the Grand Canyon in Arizona. I hiked halfway down the Grand Canyon, which has been one of my biggest accomplishments. I'm doing my last semester of college right now, though it's really challenging this time since I have a pretty crappy schedule. Anyway, I'm set to graduate in May.

While all this was going on, since January of 2009, my Dad had been having problems internally. He developed colon cancer, and after weeks of chemotherapy and hospital visits, the doctors decided to do a colostomy. His colon was removed, and the operation went well.

Well, that went on for a few months before the doctors then discovered he had liver cancer. At that point, they said there was nothing they could do to save him. If Dad would have had the operation earlier instead of going through chemotherapy for a few months to 'see what it would do', this probably would not have happened.

Dad passed away on July 24th of 2010. He was 67 years old and never got to enjoy his retirement since the cancer forced him to retire from his job. He had been working at the Post Office for 48 years. This was one of the last photos I took with me and him.

In addition to this, on August 15th, one of my cousins took a nap on the couch and never woke up. The official cause of death is unknown, though they've said it was due to cardiac arrest. He was a few years younger than me.

Since then, my mom and I have been battling depression. She has been getting rid of a lot of things at the house, getting things painted and rebuilt, ect. That's just her way of coping. I'm going to therapy which has been helping me find my own peace.

So I guess that's all you need to know. I'll graduate in May though I gotta take my last class as a summer course, but as soon as I am done with this, I plan to move out of Mobile. Not sure where I'll go yet, wherever I get an opportunity.

I hope you guys have been doing alright. I still think about this place and game from time to time.
    Last edited by QuadRaptor; 02-28-2011, 08:10 AM.

Nice to see you back, I'm sorry to hear about your losses, I'll send many blessings and healing energies to you and your mom. And if you all ever need a friendly ear we are nearby

http://mysticcreations.yolasite.com/

Comment

wow, you sir have been through alot in the past while and have alot on your plate.
      situations may not be fair, and it may seem that people were taken away from you too soon. But you really gotta push through this one, i dont know how old u are, but since u are graduating soon, you got a whole new world of fun and excitement ahead of you.
      These situations shape us in to who we are going to turn out to be, tragedy affects us all differently. I was honestly so close to my grandmother, and when she passed around new years of 2000, i was crushed, it was the first first family member i had ever lost. I was somehow unable to cry about the loss until at least 2003, when it hit me hard, she had succumbed to cancer as well. We just have no control over these situations, and instead of falling into a depressive state, i said to myself ill make one of the biggest changes of my life, and i moved to Israel for 6 years, it somehow worked in itself to relieve the pain, and i have a feeling it can for u too (i hope so). It seems u are about to make some big changes, graduation, new job, maybe a new state (or country).
      I really hate to sound so blunt, and dont take this the wrong way i hope it helps, but even though things may have ended for some of your closest and beloved, things are really just starting for you.. i hope that u see that in a good light.

its touching to hear your experience, and thanks for sharing this with us, we can all help each other to cope with our real lives, and begin the healing process, i mean im even there for people i dont know, and hate to see someone in pain, this pain is temporary my friend..
      on another note, this is a hell of a coincidence, i just made a post about u last night, stating where i always did like your quake name and the meaning behind it, and now u pop up out of nowhere this morning and make a post, spooky... i posted around 5-6 hours before u did.

Originally posted by StatiC View Post
      i always did like Quadraptors' nickname, its got meaning too.
      Last edited by StatiC; 02-28-2011, 08:53 AM.
      SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
      THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BB2 H23A1 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
      sigpic

Comment

Fuzznut sent me an e-mail, so I thought it would be good to stop by and give an update. We're getting by, though we have our days when we feel like the whole world is against us.

As I always say, "Things will get better..."

I really hope I find a great job. I'm aiming for Texas (preferably the Austin or Houston area) but if I get a better opportunity somewhere else, I can really go anywhere. I'll be specializing in hydrogeology. Oh and I'm 25 years old.

I can safely say I've grown from the past few years. I know I was kind of an asshole on this community and for that I am sorry. I've learned a lot more about who I am and also how to be more accepting of others. I'm trying not to worry so much, but as you can see, life tends to throw curveballs.

Anyway, thanks for the response, glad to see you all again. Maybe one day I'll throw Quake onto my laptop and try playing again. I really kind of miss getting owned on the European servers

I try to pop on MSN daily so if anyone wants to chat with me there, my address is [email protected]
        Last edited by QuadRaptor; 02-28-2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Chris, Brah!!!! I've wondered about you for all those years you've been MIA. When you DO head out into the world, make sure you travel I-10 and hit me up once you get to Gulfport,MS. Maybe toss a couple beer's!!! Sorry to hear about your loved ones, you have my condolences.

Your friend,
          eSxAPOCALYPSE
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dad, Quadraptor.

Originally posted by QuadRaptor View Post
            I know I was kind of an asshole on this community and for that I am sorry.
            Lies!
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

we have our days when we feel like the whole world is against us.
              i swear the only thing seperating us is age brah... lol
              Oh and I'm 25 years old.
              younger than i had assumed, no need to b feelin down now homie !
              as you can see, life tends to throw curveballs
              i wish for the odd curveball, life only throws me sinkers ! heh

[email protected]
              SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
              THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BB2 H23A1 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
              sigpic

Comment

Good to hear from you quad! Sad to hear about your losses tho, my condolences..

Anyway, I wish you all the best in the years to come and hope to see you around on the servers once more, just so I can kick your arse

Comment

Quad! <3
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                  Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Good life if you don't weaken..
                    This body holding me,reminds me of my own mortality.
                    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal,all this pain is an illusion.

Comment

Hi Quaddy,

Good to see you're still around. I (and I'm sure most of the old TU'ers will feel the same way) am genuinely sorry to hear about your losses and I hope you and your family will soon see better times on the horizon. Tomorrow is a new day and the first day of the rest of your life so keep your chin up and I hope to see you soon on the servers.

Kind regards

Monty
                      Last edited by Mr.Burns; 02-28-2011, 01:04 PM.
                      Mr.Burns
                      "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                      WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                      Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Hey man, good to see you're still around. Me and Fuzz were trying to get a hold of you last night. Looks like that email did the trick...

Sorry about your losses. I've had some pretty grim losses happen to me, too. At one point in particular I was pretty depressed myself. I was walking around outside and saw the grass blowing around in the wind, heard the rustling of the leaves in the wind, saw all the other people going about their day to day lives... at which point I figured "The rest of the world goes on, so I, too, must go on. I'm not gonna let myself sit here and get run over by everyone and everything else". That's what kept me going anyway, you'll find your own way to cope... or it looks like you already have?
                        e|------------------------0---------------
                        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                        A|---------------0------------------------
                        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

QuadRaptor is back! RAWR Man we had lots of fun times together. TU vs SnS? heheh...

Sorry to hear of your troubles... and I don't ever remember you being an asshole. I remember me being an asshole plenty of times before because I was/still am a stupid teenager ;P I was depressed too, hated most everyone and everything, not for nearly a reason such as yours though .

Really great to see you back. Looks like you had fun hiking, I heard Flagstaff is a great place... hopefully one day I want to do something similar to that, only with a mountain bike. I know Quake is gonna pick back up now... . Hope to see you back on the servers... We all missed you, and TU especially!
                          Last edited by bta.monster; 02-28-2011, 07:34 PM.
                          Clan Brotherhood of the Axe

Comment

Welcome back Quad!
                            'My teammates are no good to me alive.' -Bank on CA.

'I'll cry when I'm done killin!' -A REAL Patriot

Clan TU

Your own... personal... Shambler
                            someone to hear your prayers
                            someone who cares
                            your own... personal... Shambie
                            someone to hear your prayers
                            someone whos there

Comment

Finally got Quake working again, though I'm having some issues running Qrack and Darkplaces on this laptop. It has the wrong graphics card or something. Anyway, I've got Proquake on it so that'll work. Got most everything set the way I had it.

Ran into Mindz, Monster, and Dread on a coop server as well as a few familiar names on Shmack. Felt like old times, heh...

I need a new avatar on here...hmm...

Comment

Working...
                              X