How to stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stop?

How does one go about quiting an addiction?

Such as drinking/smoking, as two examples.

Any suggestions?

Things i've tried.

For smoking have been nicorette, nicotane patches, a drug called: "Campix" a 1mg pill, i took for 2 1/2 months and quit for about a yr or so... its a prescription drug.

Uh... as for booze no idea, i've done max about a wk without it before now adays i can barely go a day without it.

Any thoughts?

Willpower is key. First you must realize you have a problem, then you must stay away from whatever it is you have a problem with. Nobody can save yourself but you. Sure, there are support groups and shit like that, but loads of people go in and out of those without being cured.
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I have zero willpower guess i'm doomed. fuck it then, nvm. Just was curious.

Comment

Well first I'd get a hair cut, than I'd get outside much as possible.....I have 5 acres so there's always shit to do. Working out somehow 30 mins a day really helped!
        Good Luck and alot of will-power, you'll be fine dude.
        Other than that your fucked!
        EzJacK

Comment

Originally posted by Lerster View Post

Any thoughts?
          Well ... you can always wait until "the bulldog bitter end" bites you in the ass and you've got no choice because you are unemployed, broke and homeless.

It is never a matter of whether or not someone quits an addiction -- you will --- it is whether or not you get to control the chain of events.

A lot of people go for "Plan B" ... hit rock bottom and have no other choice.

For every problem there is a guaranteed solution. It isn't a favorite, but unless you decide to control your own destiny ... it does sit there waiting for you.

You get choose: solve your own problems [you know you can] or Plan B ... let your problems SOLVE YOU. The former is harder, but you get to make the decisions ... the latter is easy, but the problems make the choices for you.

But the trick is ... the choice was always yours to make.

In Soviet Russia, your problems solve YOU. /End cliche.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

heh i'm already step 2: unemployed, jobless, and still buying my addictions.

Guess i'm fucking doomed. I think i was hoping for some crackpot ideas as to how to overcome the carvings.

Comment

heh i'm already step 2: unemployed, jobless, and still buying my addictions.

Guess i'm fucking doomed. I think i was hoping for some crackpot ideas as to how to overcome the carvings.
              unemployed and jobless ? ive never heard of that, boy u are screwed...
              usually turkeys cant overcome carvings... cravings are bad tho too
              Try to stay away from advice u get from crackpots...
              SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
              THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BB2 H23A1 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
              sigpic

Comment

It starts with a change.
                QuakeOne.com
                Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Check yourself into rehab.

Comment

You have to hate that shit and be serious if u want to quit this shit, or else you'll relapse easy..
                    SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
                    THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BB2 H23A1 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
                    sigpic

Comment

StatiC's trying to quit cigs now, so you could look to him for advice. My mom was a hardcore alcoholic. Eventually she checked herself into rehab and quit, but it's left some long lasting damage. There's family issues now because of it, and that's not going away. For now, it has come and gone, the damage was done and now it's healed, but it's only gone so far and it's not going any further. Now there's merely a disconnect between her and those people, but I still cringe any time she mentions anything about them or related them, bracing for the impact of more bullshit.

Comment

I would suggest to explain your situation to your doctor and ask him for advice.
                        dfsp*spirit
                        my FPS maps

Comment

Throw the cigarettes and booze away and don't buy anymore. Simple.

Comment

Any suggestions?

Things i've tried.

For smoking have been nicorette, nicotane patches, a drug called: "Campix" a 1mg pill, i took for 2 1/2 months and quit for about a yr or so... its a prescription drug.

Uh... as for booze no idea, i've done max about a wk without it before now adays i can barely go a day without it.

Any thoughts?
                            They make a pill to help reduce cravings and it makes you sick when you drink from what i hear...other than that what i do is reduce the ammounts i drink sorta like you would do if you were on a diet. instead of drinking a half gallon i moved myself down to a pint, and then limited myself to 1 pint per week spread it out accordingly, even in mixed drinks... then go a day without it etc. try that if all else fails go to inpatient rehab, then intensive outpatient , and then hit some aa meetings etc depending on how bad it is for u..

Comment

If you don't think you can do it on your own, then look for support (sponsor,friend, loved one, etc). Someone you can call on during those tougher times.

http://mysticcreations.yolasite.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X