Consumer Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Culture

Consumer Culture is the idea that people (Americans) enjoy spending money and in big company marketing philosophy you price things on the honor system.

For example, the same pair of Levi jeans might cost $40 at an upscale store, $30 at midscale store and $20 at mainstream store.

Another example is cereal. The ones actively advertised on television cost about 150% or 200% price compared to the non-actively advertised brand.

Or in the case of cars, some models of Nissan and their upscale brand Infiniti are actually the same car off the same assembly line. The Infiniti costs $10,000 more.

Or that all of Proctor and Gamble's toothpastes are essentially the same formula, but the Crest brand costs $3.99 for a large tube of toothpaste and the nearly identical product with a lesser name costs $1.49.

Idea is that is that consumer usually doesn't think and goes with a familiar choice and is easily parted from his or her $$$ and done so in an efficient manner by voluntarily allowing them to do this based on their income, as those with greater income will be careless with more of it.

Funny counter-example ...

Most non-agricultural products in the USA are made in China. Often similar products by different brands are made in the same factory. The difference is essentially perception alone, and therefore imaginary.

A couple of months ago, I needed new razor blades. I couldn't remember the name of the razor. I was unwilling to spend $20 on razor blades and get the wrong ones only to have the convenience of later returning them.

I made a small calculated decision and grabbed the 4 pack of disposable non-name razors for $0.97. They are awesome.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    I made a small calculated decision and grabbed the 4 pack of disposable non-name razors for $0.97. They are awesome.
    Use a safety razor! cheap blades, and they're 10x better than any disposable razors!

Comment

I see it all the time.
      I remember back when I was in school "Nike" was the shit. People would GLADLY pay that extra $30 a a damn T-Shirt to have that "swoosh" - when in reality a $5 shirt from SuperStore was basically the same quality. I found the Nike products I did own - actually had LESS wear and tear resistance then my no-name stuff.
      Then to shoes, due to my diabetes I avoid runners. So I am going to age myself here lol. I wear slip ons in summer as running shoes are very tight and reduce my circulation too much. I have foot numbness as is.
      Vans Classic Slip on Leather Coffee Walnut
      I basically have these shoes, identical. However mine are no-name and I paid $20 for mine - had them 2 years now and the ONLY damage done to them was my dog chewed a little area on them when we first got her. The Vans - $50, and I know many would buy the Vans over mine. Mine are "no-name" in the very meaning of that - there is NO brand name anywhere on them.

Comment

Working...
      X