• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill S.978

URGENT: Congress Wants To Make Streaming A Felony | Demand Progress
    Read The Bill: S. 978 - GovTrack.us
    “Tolling the Stream” (Be Jailed for Streaming?) by UltraDavid Shoryuken
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hytigOSjJxc]YouTube - ‪ALERT! Bill S.978 Will SHUT DOWN Gaming Videos and Streams EVERYWHERE‬‏[/ame]

There's a new law soon to be out stating if you upload videos, screenshots, interviews or reviews of any copyrighted content, this goes for music, games and everything else copyrighted, your video will be removed and you'll fined thousands of dollars or 5 years in jail. This will terribly hinder the whole of the internet community, you'll not be notified of new music, games, etc. and you'll be extremely restricted from just about anything. Game companies will have no control over it, only the government. To upload any game content you'll need permission from the game company.
    Last edited by Grim Warlock; 07-03-2011, 02:06 AM.

It's quite obvious who congress really listens to... I'm pretty sure we have more important things on our plate than worrying about streaming.

Comment

You don't understand, this will hinder the gaming community. If you upload any game content (videos, screenshots, interviews) your content will be removed and fined a thousand dollars or 5 years in prison.

Comment

I mean "we" as in congress- who are supposed to represent us. Millions upload and watch video game videos, so obviously we're not being represented!

Comment

Whoops! Guess I'll have to rip out AVI support in Qrack!

This [bill] could open up an underground void to create a platform to provide subversive media to the public. What better way for kids to feel more "L33T" than to have the ability to create in-game videos; but with the "THOU SHALT NOT CREATE IN-GAME MEDIA" labeled on it. It's not the can-you-do-this avenue, but can you do this without risk, and can you make it cool and not get caught. It's kinda like graffiti, but with video game content, i'd suppose.

Guess we will also have to change the QuakeOne logo!
          Last edited by R00k; 07-03-2011, 05:00 PM.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I'm kinda worried about this because whatever happens in the US trickles its way into CANADA.
            Freedom of information is not really free!! The government wants more control over the internet, people are getting smart off of it and making better choices. Knowledge should be free not cost an arm and a leg!!

If this goes into effect Rook needs to © Qrack and hes rich.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98958txVSrE]YouTube - ‪I'm rich biatch! Dave Chapelle‬‏[/ame]
            Last edited by AAA; 07-03-2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

This bill seems like something out of the Soviet Union under Stalin.
              This pisses me off, Where is 4chan/anonymous when you need them?

Tiem to download Tor.

I use Ubutnu 11.04 and Windows 7 on my Computer.

Comment

got to love how wars & streaming content is on the same level of importancy...face palm on this one...
                Rambo[RuM]
                I support:
                Quakeone.com ..... of Course!
                Qrack - Thank You r00k
                Yayo Industries - Thank you frenzy
                Zero CTF - Thanks mono

Comment

ouch. I agree with AAA.

If it passes, chances are Canada will mimic, usa law in regards to steaming media, that will blow.

I hope it doesn't pass.

Comment

SECTION 1. CRIMINAL INFRINGEMENT OF A COPYRIGHT.

(a) Amendments to Section 2319 of Title 18- Section 2319 of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in subsection (b)--

(A) by redesignating paragraphs (2) and (3) as paragraphs (3) and (4), respectively; and

(B) by inserting after paragraph (1) the following:

‘(2) shall be imprisoned not more than 5 years, fined in the amount set forth in this title, or both, if--

‘(A) the offense consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works; and

‘(B)(i) the total retail value of the performances, or the total economic value of such public performances to the infringer or to the copyright owner, would exceed $2,500; or

‘(ii) the total fair market value of licenses to offer performances of those works would exceed $5,000;’; and

(2) in subsection (f), by striking paragraph (2) and inserting the following:

‘(2) the terms ‘reproduction’, ‘distribution’, and ‘public performance’ refer to the exclusive rights of a copyright owner under clauses (1), (3), (4), and (6), respectively of section 106 (relating to exclusive rights in copyrighted works), as limited by sections 107 through 122, of title 17;’.

(b) Amendment to Section 506 of Title 17- Section 506(a) of title 17, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1)(C), by inserting ‘or public performance’ after ‘distribution’ the first place it appears; and

(2) in paragraph (3)--

(A) in subparagraph (A), by inserting ‘or public performance’ after ‘unauthorized distribution’; and

(B) in subparagraph (B), by inserting ‘or public performance’ after ‘distribution’.
                    The way I read this is that, if you make an in-game movie and it makes more than $2500 in revenue then you are infringing on the copyright holder's rights, by which they can sue you or you go to jail for five years. I dont see how this applies to the general public. They guy in the youtube video is obv a dork who sits at home in his pj's suckn coffee and lives in his grandma's apartment. Now that his web-job is threatened, he has to create publicity.
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Don't insult me R00k you FUCK, I live at my grandma's house sucking on coffee in my PJ's.

Comment

lawl

Comment

if it passes just upload your vids to a non us server.

Comment

Originally posted by ninjamonkeyz View Post
                            if it passes just upload your vids to a non us server.
                            +like this
                            uakene.com

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                              The way I read this is that, if you make an in-game movie and it makes more than $2500 in revenue then you are infringing on the copyright holder's rights, by which they can sue you or you go to jail for five years. I dont see how this applies to the general public. They guy in the youtube video is obv a dork who sits at home in his pj's suckn coffee and lives in his grandma's apartment. Now that his web-job is threatened, he has to create publicity.
                              +1
                              They cant even get ahold of the 99.9% of the music downloaders out there. And that is a blatant copyright infringement(Not that I havent downloaded music). So they arent going to do anything about streaming. The only way I could see it if someone is literally making money off of said streaming content. Which I could totally understand. That would be like someone downloading Darkplaces or Qrack and trying to sell it in retail stores and making money off of it. Now even if they tried, we already know they cant stop it. Something thats illegal here might not be illegal somewhere else.

With that being said, the U.S. is going to hell because of politicians worrying about stupid shit. The idiots need to take about 5 years off work and let the country get back on track. Those assholes constantly propose and sometimes pass bills just to justify their existence.
                              If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

Working...
                              X