No announcement yet.

1996 was some year.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, you were right in the groove I wanted to be back then with the more modern hw. 14.4 or 33.6 modem?

By the time I upgraded from my XT in early 1998, it was a 386 SX16 with maybe 8mB ram and WFWG 3.11....and NO modem. I picked up a 286 AT from a streetside curb that looked like a bunch of old stuff they were throwing out. The floppy drive would not work, there was no hdd, but it had an old 1200 baud modem stuck in one of the slots, so that became my modem for the 386. I spent the next couple of months ' catching up ' on what BBS's were available (not many) and how to email etc. Back then they sent you an AOL CD like every month with 50 or so free hours on it, and believe it or not, the early aol I think 3.0 loaded up on WFWG 3.11 and the 386, slow with the 1200 modem, but I was like - WOW ! Hearing the guy say "you got mail ' was like the highlight of the day.

When those free hours ran out, I spent lot of time connecting to whatever BBs's I could to learn more about the evolution of the internet. I DL'd 32 bit object length extensions to get it to behave more close to a 486, and there was a terminal called Ripterm that displayed gif's and jpg's I think when you connected to special BBS's. Fidonet was also still up, and I used that alot along with the SBA.GOV (small business administration) which had free access and one free email address they gave you, and you needed a .QWK
    type message reader like Uniqwk or Big Blue to read the message posts or read any email. I remember calling lots of BBS numbers during the late evening hours, and many were disconnected or no one answered. One time a woman picked up the phone, and I said, sorry I thought this was a computer I was calling, and she said, 'who is this'?

Originally posted by R00k View Post
    In 1996 i had a 486dx2-80 and spent my time making a (igm) mod for Legend of the Red Dragon, (bbs door game). Then I got a demo of Quake (v1.0) from CDROMToday magazine. I still have the CD around here. It ran horribly slow on my machine, I didnt even have win95 yet, only Win3.xx, and im not even sure what kind of gfx card maybe a Diamond Stealth. But Quake would drop to about 5fps during the demo. I did end up trying it again a year later after I had upgraded my hardware. But it wasnt until around 1998 that i was playing Quake online.

I had played the shareware demos of wolf 3d, doom 1 and 2, heritic, hexen, and hexen2, so Quake was something i kept my eye on.

Comment

OH!

I was pre internet! it was all fidonet! Internet was exclusive! unless u were on a edu account otherwise it was all phreak!

lol all thei kids are like wtf is all this jargon?!

FIDONET was hobbiests using inter-relay to pass along email from one system to another

Phreak was when u hack the phone to make free longdistance calls! omg wheres my cell!!
      LOL!
      Last edited by R00k; 10-12-2011, 11:55 PM.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Yea, we are old farts now lol....gotta get use to it. Used Fidonet to finally get up to speed with my computer hw , connected to some BBS that had some extra Fidonet groups, and caught a for sale post for a pentium 233mmx mobo with 64MB ram and a 4MB PCI vid card. Sucked that up with a money order to Hawaii and the guy gave me some free Macadamia nuts candy with the shipment. Yea lots of Techies on Fidonet who could help with just about anything from ham radios to tv repair and computers.

I remember the phreak from way back in 1985 when me and my pal were into the C64 scene. Bought a program called phoneman that duplicated the sounds of coins dropping into a payphone and stuff like that.....I think it called diverters and yea, u could get free long distance. Of course, never got mine to work, never had the time to figure it out actually....

Originally posted by R00k View Post
        FIDONET was hobbiests using inter-relay to pass along email from one system to another

Phreak was when u hack the phone to make free longdistance calls! omg wheres my cell!!
        LOL!

Comment

well my 96 is a blurr that was one of my coke years, and many others... and 2nd year of my first job at wendys , one of my friends introduced quake to me and told me about quake.mint.net, im thinking it was 96 or 97 something like that..

Comment

Working...
          X