Best vid card for...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best vid card for...

I have an AMD athlon II 3.0ghz processor. i currently have a low-end, integrated radeon HD 4200 card. I have 5gb of ddr3 ram and a pci express x16 slot. what would be the best card for my system. i don't think i have any other expansion slots to put a card in, although i could check later on if someone insists pci express just isn't worth buying for.

working with a budget of 150-200. willing to go higher if need be.

just so you guys don't think i'm lazy i've found some cards myself, sapphire radeon HD5770 for $107 and a radeon HD6790 for 123. but i have no idea if i would be over-compensating and buying some shit that my computer can't take, or if i could get a lot better for just 20 dollars more. that type of stuff.

so thanks in advance.
    "When I was your age, we used to rocket jump all the way to school, up hill both ways - IN BOILING LAVA!"

5770 is the best price to performance ratio,although just one of them I can't vouch for,as I use two of them in Crossfire.

The 6790 stomps a 5770. No brainer in the choice of which one you should get of those two. Don't even look at the 5770, even though I use two of them. Definately get the 6970. I recommend you upgrade your CPU at the same time, aim for a quad core + 6970 = your golden!
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 11-20-2011, 09:29 PM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

stay away from Sapphire.

CHeaper ati cards sure but they do not get good benchmarks.

i looked at them before an i used to be pro ati tho now i'm kind've pro nivadia.

Not due to ati, just b/c one of my boards was made for it an so now i'm kinda stuck in that route.

Think i spent 300 on my GTX560TI ... can't remember tho it was near there.

Ati has lots of cards out there, google bench marks and stay the fuck away from sapphire (unless u have no choice) but don't pay no more then 100 for them.

~Cheers. (for that one manu) that is.

Comment

so there is no risk of buying a card too advanced?
        "When I was your age, we used to rocket jump all the way to school, up hill both ways - IN BOILING LAVA!"

Comment

I have these questions for you:

1. Find the make and model of your power supply. Saying "0h it's a 450w" isn't quite good enough... it could be a stellar 450w power supply, or some piece of junk you could get for $20.

2. What exactly do you want to do with it? Gaming I imagine... are you looking to play the latest shit maxed out, or are you looking for something that will simply make Qrack run buttery smooth?

After that, I can put in a recommendation.
          e|------------------------0---------------
          B|---------------0^1----------------1----
          G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
          D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
          A|---------------0------------------------
          E|----------------------------------------

Comment

1. i will have to get back to you on the power supply.finding the specs for my computer only shows "250w".

2. i want to play the latest games and enjoy it. i don't need them to be the best looking, but i can't even hardly move. i've tried battlefield 3, unplayable. cod:mw3, playable but still a little irritating to deal with. rage, same as cod:mw3. when running those games, i have all settings maxed out to performance rather than quality.

Comment

5770, 460, 560, 6850
              Originally posted by Magnus
              Apology accepted.

Comment

Im running a 5870(bought used) and have no problems. She likes alot of power though
                If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

If your PSU is only 250W, you'll definitely need to upgrade that before getting any sort of worthwhile graphics card upgrade.

Comment

Powersupply's aren't expensive. I went with a raidmax

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

It's cheap,but hefty.
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

This might be a bit contentious, but if you really want to run Rage, then do not buy an AMD card.

Seriously.

There are colossal troubles with their drivers, and you're basically taking put luck whether or not they will work for you. NVIDIA on the other hand will work right away, without any trouble. AMD plus OpenGL do not mix well in general (you should see some of the trouble I had with RMQ...) and Rage really pushes things so far as OpenGL is concerned.

Even a relatively low-end NVIDIA within your budget will get you a much happier experience.
                      IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think its unfair to bash AMD because of the Rage problems.

Meh, DirectX > OpenGL anyways.

Comment

as soon as i saw i only had a 250w psu i knew i'd have to replace that.

so no issues with having an AMD processor and using an NVIDIA card?

Comment

none! just aim for DX11 support and you are set to play any games,and there are a ton availible haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                              I think its unfair to bash AMD because of the Rage problems.

Meh, DirectX > OpenGL anyways.
                              Well the OP listed Rage as one of the games he wants to run so I believe it's relevant.
                              IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X