March 8th internet shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 8th internet shutdown

I wanna keep this short. Bad people did bad stuff, the FBI caught them and provided an ongoing DNS for the people that the bad people affected. However that DNS support is only scheduled for 120 days and that ends on March 8th.

Read all about it here
    For the FBI press release of the actual sting click here or here

If you wanna check if you were infected ( [click] / "type" )

[START] , [RUN] , "CMD" , "IPCONFIG/ALL"

scroll down to DNS SERVERS and compare to this chart

Between this IP... ... and this IP
    77.67.83.1_________77.67.83.254
    85.255.112.1_______85.255.127.254
    67.210.0.1_________67.210.15.254
    93.188.160.1_______93.188.167.254
    213.109.64.1_______213.109.79.254
    64.28.176.1 ________64.28.191.254

If your DNS falls within those numbers you are probably infected and will not have internet after march 8th until you remove the infection.

You can try to remove it with anti-virus, but your anti-virus may not catch it (unless you use a "live" disk). Alternately you can download my attachment and have hours and hours of fun manually removing it. My attachment is the print friendly version of the information found here, with all suggested tools included. This way no internet access is required for an emergency uninstall (ie..it's March 9th and you realize that you were actually infected).

I did not "make" anything in the attachment, I simply compiled all the necessary information into one place. I'm not responsible for any results you encounter no matter how good or bad they are. You use this stuff and follow these directions at your own risk. I will say that I spent a lot of time finding the most thorough and seemingly credible information available and I hope that this helps anyone that needs it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-24-2012, 06:44 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

lol, owned? I take that back. FAIL, instead
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 02-24-2012, 06:47 PM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Fascinating how most the infected computers still out there are ' big business ' / fortune 500 companies. Shows you how much damage was done, (which may be irrecoverable)
      when these people wrote the malware......I bet alot of it is old outdated OS's.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
        Fascinating how most the infected computers still out there are ' big business ' / fortune 500 companies. Shows you how much damage was done, (which may be irrecoverable)
        when these people wrote the malware......I bet alot of it is old outdated OS's.
        haha yes I do find that part funny. March 8th should be a fun day to follow the news.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I read the news ALOT and I can't believe that like 100 days went by before I even heard about this...and then I didn't even hear about this on the internet. I was listening to NPR (lol) and they mentioned it in passing.

I did a little research and decided that it might be a good idea to get the "fix" together and get it out to all my friends, just in case. Finding the removal instructions was actually sort of hard. I kept coming across sites that said to delete like 5 things from the registry and call it a day. This obviously wouldn't do shit - what about the actual virus? I finally isolated the actual name of the virus and found some real instructions.They are ridiculously long - like 100 different things to delete.

Comment

Wow, if my internet goes out that day I will be severely pissed. That's my birthday, and I'm not going to be able to see my friends until later in the week

Comment

Just download the little removal instructions and keep them saved on the side. Or click the live disk link in my post, make a live disk and run it right now. You only get shut down if you have the virus. All you have to do is get rid of it and/or for extra measure be prepared to remove it.

I'm like 110% positive that I do not have this virus but I have all the files on the side cause I'm not getting caught with my pants down over a 24k download. I've actually started working on an automatic removal tool based on the instructions but

a) There is a whole lot that could go wrong from OS to OS plus User Settings
              b) 13 days isn't a whole hell of a lot of time to do something that you don't know what you are doing (sorta)

Gypsy

Comment

or make sure your anti virus is updating as it normally should. this should be sufficient enough.

Comment

March madness lan party!
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Sounds like Windows problem.

No existing viruses exist for Mac OS X 10.5 + = I don't have to worry about this stuff. Linux and Mac OS X are virtually immune to such a thing.

Viruses are Windows thing.

[I'm only pointing this out is as long as people tolerate an operating system that likes viruses, they will have an operating system that gets viruses. Microsoft has had this problem forever.

Viruses should not be considered "normal". I find the idea of an operating system that perpetually has such a virus problem unacceptable.

Would you keep buying defective cars if the muffler kept falling off from a certain specific company? No. You'd get a different car next time.]
                    Last edited by Baker; 02-24-2012, 10:20 PM.
                    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Windows 7 is the ultimate PC gaming platform. These newer games are just spectacular , and these things aren't released immediately on any platform for PC except Windows.

I'm a fanboy,hear me RAWR!

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                        March madness lan party!
                        Hahaha. No kimps allowed!

Comment

Mac OS X backdoor Trojan, now in beta? | Naked Security

Mac's are only marginally immune. The more people tout "I'm invincible",the more the bad guys will consider it a challenge. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                            Windows 7 is the ultimate PC gaming platform. These newer games are just spectacular , and these things aren't released immediately on any platform for PC except Windows.

I'm a fanboy,hear me RAWR!
                            I understand all the dynamics. But I think the virus issue on Windows is in many ways shouldn't be tolerated.

Other operating systems don't let applications do just whatever they please any place they want.

7-8 years ago, Internet Explorer 6 had 90%+ of the market and Microsoft was content to let it be an exploit-fest. Their attitude changed when the browser market share started dropping significantly, Microsoft improved their browser.

If you grant any company a near-monopoly they will be complacent and feel little need for improvement.

Like I said, I get the dynamics and why you love Windows 7. I'm just saying competition and diversity forces the market to create better products.

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                            Mac OS X backdoor Trojan, now in beta? | Naked Security

Mac's are only marginally immune. The more people tout "I'm invincible",the more the bad guys will consider it a challenge. haha
                            It isn't that a Mac is invincible, or Linux for that matter. But more that inner security works in a manner that is difficult for malware to evade. Applications are simply not allowed to read and write wherever they please.

A trojan and a virus are different things, by the way. A trojan requires the user's consent. A virus doesn't.
                            Last edited by Baker; 02-24-2012, 10:55 PM.
                            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Baker that what you said is all true but the problem on most Windows PC's is that the users are logged in as local Administrator. So anything they do has Admin privileges. Very much saver is it (like i do) using a normal user account and only use the admin account for installing stuff or changing settings. So if there is a virus or trojan it has to ask for permission to infect the system. The points why most people use admin account on default is: not knowing what admin is at all or just simply lazyness. But the way i use it is the same way it works on unix systems and macOS (which is also only a unix derivat).

Comment

Working...
                              X