Win7 64bit, worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 64bit, worth it?

I've been thinking about installing Win7 64bit. Gaming benifits?
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

independant of what you're using now, win7 64 bit, totally worth it!
    especially if you're using 32bit windows now, 64 bits windows is waaaay faster then 32bits
    so no matter what you're using now, win7 64bit, totally worth upgrading to it

kinda surprised theres still people who arent using windows7 yet
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Nah, it drops your performance by half and makes your processor draw 3 times more power than it would under 32 bit, very inefficient.
      e|------------------------0---------------
      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
      A|---------------0------------------------
      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I had so many problems win7 64bit that i gave up on it and stuck with 32bit.
        Random crashes and incompatible programs etc. It wasn't worth the headache for me personally.
        It Takes A Tough Man To Make A Tender Rocketjump

Comment

Shiiiit... I can barely get windows xp to boot!
          QuakeOne.com
          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

If you have a 64Bit Prozessor/Mainboard then you should use a 64Bit OS. I run W7 64Bit since 2 years now, works like a dream and i got anything to work that i wanted to. If you have more than 3,5GB Ram then you should use 64Bit because 32Bit Windows couldn't use the Ram above 3,5GB because 32Bit couldn't address it.

Comment

I use it, trust me it's bad. I can't run certain games anymore, some of them aren't even old. Fuck I miss playing Quake 4!

Comment

Quake 4 works on Win 7 64Bit. I needed about 1 minute to find out how. Copy the content of the Q4 CD to your HDD and run the installer from there. That's all. Well, if that is going over your computer skills then use XP 32Bit instead.

Comment

I just installed Q4 on Windows 7 64bit something like 5 days ago. Straight install from the original DVD, download and install latest Q4 patch, it worked perfectly. If you say that it doesn't work you're either lying or doing something wrong - Q4 does work.

Likewise been using it for a good 2 years now, and the only program I've ever seen have any problems on it was Tenebrae. Even that wasn't due to Tenebrae itself but the outdated headers and libs it was originally compiled with - a quick recompile with MSVC 2008 and it worked again.

32-bit is dead. If you're expecting your computer to last you the next 3/4/5 years then don't go 32-bit. If you have more than 3-odd GB of RAM and think that you might actually want to use it sometime, then don't go 32-bit. 64-bit is mature, it's fast, it's stable. 32-bit apps on 64-bit hardware have been mainstream since the Athlon 64 and that's over 8 years ago. 64-bit Windows has been mainstream since XP64 and has been improved to the extent that even the ultra-conservative corporate desktop market is making the switch.
                  IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

I use it and i ain't had any problems running games, an i have about 30 games on steam, aside from quake which i run outside of steam an still have no problems.

These that experience performance issues, likely are using a pirated copy as they are very sly these days with their key protection and thus (a pirated key) gets random reboots.

Other issues some uses that complain about performance if they are getting bsod, alot from that os, they may have a computer cooling issue, or hardware issue, since bsod used to be dedicated to hardware failures.

~Cheers.

All above, is speculation, i dunno if they are using legit or their hardware setups. - My personal use, comments.

Comment

win7 64 is the fastest os i have ever used. until i installed an antivirus i was seriously shocked at how fast it was.

Comment

Originally posted by omicron View Post
                        win7 64 is the fastest os i have ever used. until i installed an antivirus i was seriously shocked at how fast it was.
                        Use Security Essentials, it doesn't slow down the machine noticeable.

Comment

Another vote for Security Essentials - it's very good indeed. I was a confirmed AVG user until they Norton-ized it; you get none of that crap with Security Essentials.
                          IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

win7 64bit ultimate with security essentials, absolutely no problems.

Intel quad Core i5 3.10Ghz w/ 8gb ram
                            Rambo[RuM]
                            I support:
                            Quakeone.com ..... of Course!
                            Qrack - Thank You r00k
                            Yayo Industries - Thank you frenzy
                            Zero CTF - Thanks mono

Comment

Well my "low level" rig has Athlon X2 6400+ 4GB Ram and it works flawlessly.

Comment

Working...
                              X