Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Awesome & Cheap Red beans (feeds 8 or so)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome & Cheap Red beans (feeds 8 or so)

Awesome Beans Of Cheap and Yumminess

cookware

a 1 gal pot
    a stirring spoon
    a chopping Knife

food items

a 1 lb tube of jimmy dean smoked sausage $3
    1/2 of a large white onion <$1
    3 parts of a clove of garlic <$1
    2 lbs of red kidney beans <$4
    Rice ?$? (I use fancy bread $2 from a bakery)
    3/4 gallon of water

preparation

Put the pot on a fire and smoosh all the meat out of the meat tube, into the pot. Chop the onion and garlic into big chunks (respectively) and throw them in with the meat. Get it to sizzle with awesomeness, brown the meat and cook down the onion and garlic. Pour 3/4 of a gallon of water into the pot and then pour all 2lbs of beans in behind it (you can do this the other way around too). Bring up to a boil and then adjust the flame to a simmer. Let cook for 4 hours covered. Give the beans a good stir every hour or so.

leftover extravaganza

If you did everything I said, you will have some pretty thick and creamy beans that have become even thicker while cooling. Refrigerate the leftovers overnight. On the next night take a very small amount of italian breadcrumbs and work them into the beans (just enough to make the beans the consistency of hamburger meat). Pat the leftovers into patties, fire up the barbecue pit and cook them over an open flame just like if they were a burger. Put it on your bread of choice, add some smooth and yummy cheese of gooeyness and enjoy.

EMERGENCY

If you accidentally burn the beans

DO NOT throw them away!
    DO NOT scrape the bottom of the pot!

Grab another pot and pour the beans into it. Maybe very very gently skim some of the good beans that are left behind but NEVER scrape the bottom of the pot. You can save your beans without wasting too much. Crucial time to check for this is around and past the 3 hour mark. That's when you should babysit the pot.

Aside

The Jimmy Dean smoked sausage is what makes the pot. That is some very seasoned and flavorful sausage. When you cook it down with the onion and garlic, it smells amazing. You should taste little bits of it as you brown it. When it gets the flavor that you like best, that's when it's time to add everything else. I like this little "poor man" recipe because you don't need any measuring spoons or a million bottles of seasoning. About the only thing you may want is a little salt when it's on your plate (never in the pot). I like to garnish the plate with a small mound of shredded sharp cheddar cheese right in the center of the beans. I also do not use rice, but opt for Everything Bread fresh from the bakery. Slice the whole loaf in half length-wise, slather it with REAL butter and pop it in the oven for 20 or so minutes - 20 or so minutes before you intend to eat.

Never wrap your food in aluminum. It quite literally destroys your food and has been proven to contribute to Alzheimers Disease

Michael

P.S. I am not fat, not even a little.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-09-2012, 05:04 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com
Working...
X