Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux/Steam fans, rejoice.

Your time has come! Steam to arrive on Linux “in the coming months” | VG247
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

If this is true, I might actually use it.

I guess they're trying to stay ahead of the competition, and Linux support is one thing that might do that.

Given that a ton of Windows games actually run quite well under Linux / wine.

I regularly play Stalker, Mount & Blade, the various Tomb Raiders, the Unreal Anthology and the Black Isle RPGs under Wine. Lately I have been playing Icewind Dale II via wine, to my satisfaction.

Wine even runs Bioshock, although it is much slower than native windows for me. But what you can run and how well it runs seems to slightly differ from user to user, depending on hardware.

For those who don't know it yet, the Wine AppDB has details and test reports for Windows games under Linux.

WineHQ - Wine Application Database

Sure, we could run Steam under wine, but anything that does networking I don't trust if it doesn't run natively. Besides native is always nicer, a lot nicer.

the firm is working on Linux-compatible titles
    I hope they port Source to Linux, and if they do, I will buy all their games.

I'm waiting.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Yes!!!

This is awesome news and I've been tracking it for years!

While it won't make Windows XP go away for me for specific reasons(work.) I'll definitely be enjoying Linux much more!
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Still buggy,I got it but it needs a few workarounds to make it run right.I get directx 10 error launching assassins creed anyway.Likely caused by my choice of xp emu
        WARNING
        May be too intense for some viewers.
        Stress Relief Device
        ....BANG HEAD HERE....
        ---------------------------
        .--------------------------

Comment

Well, this move by Steam is the first real step in making Linux a viable alternative to Windows when it comes to gaming..(In the real world,not the opinionated world)

AFAIK, only an elitest linux user even bothers with +making+ any damn game work in the Linux enviroment. I have zero doubts that Steam will streamline gaming + linux into making sense. If they succeed, look out Windows.... No more "gaming" monopoly on PC.

ONION?
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
            Well, this move by Steam is the first real step in making Linux a viable alternative to Windows when it comes to gaming..(In the real world,not the opinionated world)

AFAIK, only an elitest linux user even bothers with +making+ any damn game work in the Linux enviroment. I have zero doubts that Steam will streamline gaming + linux into making sense. If they succeed, look out Windows.... No more "gaming" monopoly on PC.

ONION?
            I didn't know you <3'd so much over Linux?
            QuakeOne.com
            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
            Great Quake engine

Comment

There should be more companies like Steam. Steam even setup shop in Russia.

They are forward thinking.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                There should be more companies like Steam. Steam even setup shop in Russia.

They are forward thinking.
                Check out Desura
                Games & Mods | Desura
                Also of note is POL for Wine
                Wine Reviews your source for Windows Applications and Games on Linux and Mac | | Wine Reviews
                WARNING
                May be too intense for some viewers.
                Stress Relief Device
                ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                ---------------------------
                .--------------------------

Comment

Tons of Ubuntu newbies are already running windows games on Linux, and those types are definitely not super-nerds. It's not rocket science. Usually there are precise instructions on the game's Wine AppDB page, as well as instructive multi-page threads on Linux forums ("WOW under wine", and similar).

Nope, nothing elite about it, it's done every day by newbies even.

The advantage of Windows is that the game will run out of the box, without bothering to follow written instructions (2/3rds of the American population are too lazy to read and can barely be bothered to rip open the packaging, which is why Steam exists).

Same for consoles. Windows is pretty close to a game console on your PC.

Edit: I should have said that reading, and having an attention span, is of course pretty elite these days - I'll give you that.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

You want to work harder to play your games? O_o

I consider Linux a much more productive environment to work in as I didn't want to:
                    "sudo apt-get install wine wine-essentials wine-tricks | wine /etc/bin/Crysys2.exe -opengl"

all the time. Steam coming over to Linux for me means I can play all my Steam games without having to reboot into Windows.

because I'm that lazy... O_o
                    Last edited by Phenom; 04-27-2012, 01:47 PM.
                    QuakeOne.com
                    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                    Great Quake engine

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                      Tons of Ubuntu newbies are already running windows games on Linux, and those types are definitely not super-nerds. It's not rocket science. Usually there are precise instructions on the game's Wine AppDB page, as well as instructive multi-page threads on Linux forums ("WOW under wine", and similar).

Nope, nothing elite about it, it's done every day by newbies even.

The advantage of Windows is that the game will run out of the box, without bothering to follow written instructions (2/3rds of the American population are too lazy to read and can barely be bothered to rip open the packaging, which is why Steam exists).

Same for consoles. Windows is pretty close to a game console on your PC.

Edit: I should have said that reading, and having an attention span, is of course pretty elite these days - I'll give you that.
                      thats the point I wish to convey, except that there should be an alernative to the "out of box playability" , and I'm betting any variant of Steam on Linux will bring the same fluid functionality of /purchase/download/install/play. If this is reached, then PC gamers can ask themselves Do they really need Windows?

Competition Drives Innovation

Comment

Working...
                      X