Modern games settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern games settings

Hi, I just wanted to know what you guys think about settings all the modern games plays in. Like no medieval/sci-fi/macabre style like in the 90ī. Just war-time shooters with absolutely nothing new or interesting. Do you think the era of these brainless copy-cat FPSs is in itīs end finally? New decade should bring some change and with Quake 5 and Doom 4 aiming to itīs roots, maybe the next decade will revive some serious gaming.

I used to love medieval fantasy.....until MMORPGs were developed.

The old dead horse topic again.

Triple-A First person shooters are in a military simulation phase, perhaps.

But there is also stuff like Bioshock: Infinite or what it's called now. Plus smaller games and mods. There is Hexen: Edge of Chaos, the Dark Mod etc. And I keep playing the Stalker games which are more of a horror survival mutant setting (with tons of interesting mods, I might add). There must be more games like that.

MMOs seem to usually be fantasy fantasy, not really medieval history based. I would play a game set in the Viking age, with properly researched weapons, equipment, ships, a social structure etc. in a heartbeat.

I'm not too keen on neon-coloured fantasy vikings with absolutely huge weapons either.

i think there are good games at any point in time, and there were tons of copycat shooters in the late 90s if I may remind you.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Sorry if this has been discussed here more times, I had longer break from gaming in the last decade.

Yes, indie scene has always something to offer, but itīs the commercial games I was talking about. I like to play indie games, but most of them are never finished, or doesnīt look like as was planned.

I also like northern mythology settings, but mostly scottish. Real, dark, medieval with occasional taste of fantasy is what I like.

In games, every setting has something to offer for me, except war-time shooters. I always found them like those least interesting, whose developers donīt really have any ideas.

Comment

They sell, though.
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

To be honest, now days I can care less if its a repeat idea. Just doa fn good job at it....
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
          X