Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Yes, my computer can handle this game. I've only played it for a short while and I immedately fell in love with it. The game looks very very nice even with crappy video settings I have to use because my video card is crap... I had to run a ghetto pogram to run oblivion called Oldblivion, but overall it's a nice game once you get the hang of it.
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

is it anything like morrowind?

i hope not everyone looks as ugly as this girl does

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/702/70...g_3486725.html

i didnt really like morrowind that much. sure it was a generally large game, but the scenery left much to be desired. things like a short draw distance and generally claustrophobic scenery were things that turned me off to playing the game

what i liked about morrowind was the one time i was a thief and stole stuff from peoples homes and businesses. this is the kind of freedom games should have

of course i really dont like rpg's all that much. the "fantasy" setting doesnt really work after 100 attempts, especially wwii games. perhaps something more original would attract my attention
    Last edited by seighten; 06-09-2006, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Well, Oblivion has more or less infinite draw distance, with some really artifact-y level-of-detail.

Yes, everyone is as ugly as that screenshot, or worse. It's a terribly unpolished game. The NPC AI (touted as "Radiant AI") is TERRIBLE. It will only make you LAUGH UNCOMFORTABLY, and generally snaps your suspension of disbelief. That and the other many glitches. I couldn't get into Oblivion at all. Then again, I didn't get into Morrowind either. Until about a year and a half later, when I finally did get in, and played a couple dozen hours. Maybe that will happen again.

Comment

I just got done playing Oblivion for about 4-5 hours. on a scale of 1<10

Oblivion is a 4.5

I'd recommend Fable: Lost Chapters. Way more polished with good A.I along with an awesome story and excellent controls.

To me Fable beats Oblivion hands down, I fell into the hype of Oblivion and felt short changed. Fable on the other hand Kept giving me more & more which is usually always better

Oblivion tryed to hard, Fable got it 80% to 90% right IMO

Besides I have to run Oblivion on low settings just to play, and my PC can handle HalfLife2, Doom3 & Farcry, THEY SHOULD FIX THIS KINDA LOW PERFORMANCE CODING BS... OPTIMIZE IT ALREADY!

Oblivion is like runes. Fun till you hit a deathspot. Then it goes from 0 to gay in .05 seconds.
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I have enjoyed the Elder Scrolls games since Arena. My favourite so far has been Morrowind, and Oblivion follows nicely, adding some much to be desired features. However, none of the Elder Scrolls games have been flawless so far-

Arena was too underwhelming, Daggerfall was too big/repetative, Battlespire was just a hack-and-slash RPG, Redguard had no character developement, Morrowind had a bad player-to-NPC interaction for 2003, and Oblivion has it's own pitfalls.

That does not mean that I do not suggest them, PC users- there are literally THOUSANDS of mods and conversions for Morrowind, giving you limitless play time with a very customizable game (truly, things thought impossible are done in some modifications).

For non-elder scrolls gamers, as mentioned above, Fable is an excellent choice. Brought to you by the same folks who made Black and White, with the "good or evil or both" approach put forth by Peter Molyneux, it's a gaming experience. A bit short, occasionally a bit repetative, but it was one of my favourite XBOX titles, and one of my favourite PC ones as well.

I would stray further from Japanese RPGs however, because they are mostly all cookie cutter clones, with a few exceptions. (Tales of Symphonia) While entertaining, they offer limited character customization, and if that's your deal (Morrowind players!), you're out of luck.

Hope I helped.
          "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

I've played Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion. What annoys me is that their dialogue system hasn't really improved since Arena. NPCs still don't have personality, all NPCs have the same dialogue as everyone else in the town, and often exactly the same as NPCs in other towns. The only exception is the odd quest-giver.

I think what Oblivion wanted to do was present a living, breathing world. IMO they failed miserably. Towns are extremely small and underpopulated (and there's nobody under the age of about 30 in the game at all). Characters randomly approach each other for conversations consisting of randomly strung together voice clips that often don't make sense and are never anything but lame, repetitive gossip.

It's true that character sometimes eat and sleep, but their eat animation is a 1/2 second loop that looks terrible, and their sleep is just as bad (you can wake somebody up, and there's a 90% chance that they'll go back to sleep in a *different* bed).

Also, when you're wandering the wilderness, it's completely empty, except for regularly distributed 'bandits'. Meaning every mile or so, you'll come across a bandit who was idly standing alone, doing nothing, until you come along, at which point he/she blindly attacks you like a zombie. Makes you wonder where these people come from.

The caves and dungeons are a bit more interesting but not much.

BTW, if you like to customize your character's appearance, perhaps Oblivion is for you. For whatever reason they licensed some face generation toolkit that was definitely *not* made for games. The result is that you can configure your face with about two or three HUNDRED SLIDERS. And no matter HOW HARD YOU TRY, you won't be able to create a character that is even remotely good-looking, or even very HUMAN-looking. Apparently Bethesda used the utility for all the NPCs as well, which results in a bunch of ugly NPCs who, despite having 200 sliders controlling their face, still seem to all look the same.

Comment

BTW, if you like to customize your character's appearance, perhaps Oblivion is for you. For whatever reason they licensed some face generation toolkit that was definitely *not* made for games. The result is that you can configure your face with about two or three HUNDRED SLIDERS. And no matter HOW HARD YOU TRY, you won't be able to create a character that is even remotely good-looking, or even very HUMAN-looking. Apparently Bethesda used the utility for all the NPCs as well, which results in a bunch of ugly NPCs who, despite having 200 sliders controlling their face, still seem to all look the same.
              this is true for tiger woods pga tour, although its a bit more arcade than simulation, but im getting off-topic

i hear from a good friend that everquest 2 is rockin and from the screenshots it looks to be that way. although im not sure of the specifics since i havent nor shall i ever play it for paying to play is something i cannot afford the luxery of due to a lack of money or shifting interests

Comment

I got oblivion like 3 weeks ago, and is great fun. Have it on medium settings and runs almost flawless. I jacked everything all the way up just to see how it would look, and I was amazed. Bad thing was, I got like 2 FPS,

Nothing really problematic with this game IMO, except for, what sajt said, there isn't any little kids in the towns.

Comment

Working...
                X