Something to participate in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to participate in

Recently, participation on this site has practically fallen off of a cliff, quite suddenly. I could write some "essay" about the importance of keeping the ball rolling, but I have a different angle. Instead of convincing you to participate, I will give you something to participate in. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with Quake.

I'm rebuilding youTube. That isn't a completely accurate statement, it's just much easier to phrase it that way, then to go into some long description about how things are different.

Here is the part where you can participate.

I'm sure everyone has gone to some web media service and wished they had a certain feature or was annoyed by how a certain feature worked. I would like your input about these things. If you give me an idea or solution and it makes sense for me to implement it, I will build it into the system and give you credit for the idea.

I don't care how complicated or simple the idea is. Every realistic submission will be given honest consideration. On top of this, when I get to a point where I'm ready to do a "public" test, I will allow all of those that participated, to test the system before anyone else. This may not seem like a big deal, but consider this:

If you and (ex) 13 people participate, that means your suggestions and input are competing with 12 other people as opposed to everyone in the world with an interest. This practically makes you a member of "congress" within my project and guarantees that your voice will be heard.

To sweeten the pot even more - if you participate across the board and become interested in running my software on a server of your own, I will not only give you a copy for your own use, but I will also give you tech support AND (whew) MAYBE, just maybe if you were to want or need another feature that does not exist I will not only build it for you, but I will sit on it for a bit before including it in the main package. Remember, I said maybe.

I say "maybe" because I have no way to know how many people will participate in this and all the way up to "maybe" I made promises that I can easily keep. Within and past maybe I will not know how realistic my promise is until I see what happens from this post.

I will also tell you that I am very, very far already. So, this is not a "sounds good" thing. It is guaranteed that with or without participation I will be completing and advancing this.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

its nice to see your project grow into this. im on board for whatever.
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Part 2

I am writing this part as an example of the type of ideas I am looking for. Here is an example of a feature that already exists.

When you make a media post it is just like every other forum, the media, description, tags, avatar, etc. Currently if you are the owner of a post you can click your avatar and change it to something else without ever leaving or refreshing the page (if javascript is enabled). There is no going to a user panel. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to eliminate a user panel.

Forward thinking ideas like these are the ones I'm looking for. Get creative. Have fun. I don't care if you completely make up something that doesn't entirely make sense. Somewhere in whatever you write could be a good idea.

edit: Thank you Sylux. Now come back with some ideas, lil brother. That is the "whatever" that I could use from you right now.
      Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-07-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

I have an idea... how about in the "right click menu", if there is one, you have an option to Go "PLAY" Quake instead! LOL

'teasin ya of course
        Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

hmmm a right click menu...good idea. You just solved my no user panel dilemma. GJ! Now I just need to see if I can bind events to the right mouse button with javascript.

*i told you "somewhere in whatever you write could be a good idea"

Now when I get all of this "complete" you can say "that was my idea, and it's awesome."
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

and guess what? I already have the code:

Code:
            $(document).ready(function(){
                $(document)[0].oncontextmenu = function() { return false;}

$(document).mousedown(function(e){
                  if( e.button == 2 ) {
                     alert('Right mouse button!');
                     return false;
                   } else {
                     return true;
                    }

});
            });
            "damage panel" officially added as a feature to Sitephyre. See how easy that was?

note: that is just the code to capture right mouse clicks. I still have to actually build a menu. That is entirely no big deal. Where it says alert("Right mouse button") - I just need to erase that and plug a "show my menu" code in as well as build a lil html/ajax menu to communicate with the server.

childs play
            Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-07-2013, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Hey all you guests viewing this thread, why don't you sign in/up and contribute?

You could play a part in developing what I intend to create as the "next big thing". Do you doubt my skills? You wont.

Comment

Oh no no no... a "damage_panel" when activated would, immediately destroy all your armor and health save for one lone health point!!!

You're funny when you get fired up brah, I can't wait to see the fruits of your labor on this GypsyTube project
                Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

GypsyTuuuube LOL!!!!

nah man, It's Sitephyre. I've been holding on to that name for a while, looking for just the right project to apply it to. Considering the end result will handle video, audio and images as well as customizable slideshows and the potential for your audio to be presented as a streaming radio station. I would say this is it.

I don't intend to stop there though. I have a MEGA surprise when I get back to parsing delimiters (or actually the front end of that project - and no.. its not dead)

@funny when fired up

I'm always fired up. I get excited over the dumbest stuff. "Hell Yeah! it's warm!" LOL!!! (sorta joking, but kinda not)

Comment

quick background and off to bed:

This project was invented because of Bluntz. It started with him needing an flv player. I started building that off of my parsing delimiters work, but I ran into a few situations.

1) the extra pre-load and on-the-fly compile was a dumb idea. Too much extra bullshit.
                    2) my parser was at a level that was way too beefy and powerful for something as simple as an flv player. Honestly building an flv player in flash is a complete joke cause the hardest part is already done for you (displaying a stream), connecting to that stream is also a joke. All your time is spent making the controls. Which even that is simple with the exception of designing the artwork.

Once I got started though, I realized that an flv player alone is not gonna help him too much. He's gonna be uploading videos. How does the player know which one to play? How is he gonna upload the videos? Just follow everything you could possibly think of following that chain and you will realize that there are a shit-load of things to overcome in order to make this process simple.

Once I built a database, upload script and a simple page there was no stopping. I immediately pulled out the notebook and started drawing up a database structure that could support an entire "media-plex". Ranks, users, video, audio, images, config data, posts, etc. I then built an all-in-one install script that a parasite could operate.

I explained it to Bluntz like this:

"What is your name" _____________
                    [ok]

// a gabillion background processes

congratulations your entire site and database has been created and configured.

Now, is it really that simple? No, you have to choose a password too. LOL

From there I began to build all of the stuff that will play off of the database. This is when I realized that I can actually include youTube. youTube videos are embeddable, why can't I store the embed info in the database and give it an id to be called by? The answer is: I absolutely can do that, so I did. Then I remembered that photobucket has an embeddable slideshow feature. I homogenized the youTube idea to include it.

So you see, this is getting huge! I have all the players that they have plus the ability to include their players as well. In short, I will go to every length to assimilate all of their public features into my site on top of the fact that I already have these features. Nt to mention that youTube and Photobucket are not the only sites that I can do this to.

Do you see where this is going and I'm not even done with explaining the features. But I am done explaining them, if you get my drift. I don't care if someone steals what I have said so far, because I don't own any of those sites and the worse that someone could do is copy me. They can't beat me to the punch and stop me. Plus, I intend to give all of this away anyway... until I get back to parsing delimiters. That's when the entire game is going to change.

That's when I'm going to make youTube look incredibly boring. They are going to want to buy me out. BET ME!

*blah, I have beau coup typos..I'll fix them tomorrow and goodnight
                    Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-07-2013, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I'm an avid YouTube user and I've always wanted to add a "video bookmark" so I don't lose my spot on a 1:00:00+ long video. Instead of "watch later" or "add to favorites" I've always wanted to "pause" the video at a certain spot, then do other stuff and return to the YouTube app and proceed watching the video.

This is already half-assed on YouTube mobile but as soon as you close out the app your "movie bookmark" is erased.
                      QuakeOne.com
                      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

That is an awesome feature, but I'm gonna have to seriously think about that one. It's not the time part, it's the cache part. How do I keep a video loaded in your cache? There is probably a good reason why nobody does this, but that doesn't mean I can't invent a new way.

perma-cached video - officially added to consideration list.

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                          That is an awesome feature, but I'm gonna have to seriously think about that one. It's not the time part, it's the cache part. How do I keep a video loaded in your cache? There is probably a good reason why nobody does this, but that doesn't mean I can't invent a new way.

perma-cached video - officially added to consideration list.
                          You wouldn't need to cache the whole video, just save a time stamp of the last retrieved packet er something? (I'm not a very good programmer tho)

So when 1:01:00 passes on the video it gets saved as "Last video time-stamp" and when the same video with matching URL gets viewed the time-stamp will be associated with it telling the video where to pick up from?
                          QuakeOne.com
                          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Yeah I get it. I misunderstood

Phenomenal Continue - officially added to Sitephyre

it's only gonna work on the last incompletely viewed video though
                            Last edited by MadGypsy; 02-08-2013, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Have a "download" button instead of watching it online.

Comment

Working...
                              X